1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Difference in audio quality between different Sirius units?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by davidtm, Mar 13, 2008.

1. davidtm

davidtm Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have come to realize that the audio quality of my Sirius Starmate Replay (plug and play unit) which is a few years old pales in comparison to CDs. I am running it through Aux input, so it's not the expected signal degradation of FM or FM modulation. I'm not having static or poor signal, just "spoiled" in terms of the quality of sound - dynamic range, frequency response, etc. I realize that there is an inherent difference between CD and radio, but I am curious if Sirius receivers may have improved in the quality of the output signal since the newer models are out, or if broadcast data is just inherently inferior.

TIA!

2. steviet

steviet New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    No, unfortunately, the quality of the Sirius music isn't good to start with, no where near the quality of FM radio, nevermind CD quality. I'm sure that there are some subtle differences between the different units but I have two units, a Starmate (over 1 1/2yrs old) and a new (less than a year) Sportster and the audio is the same. I have had both units going into the Aux In on the Prius (at seperate times) and noticed no difference in quality.

Steve

3. davidtm

davidtm Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for that; just as I suspected. Too bad the news can't be better. :mad:

On a positive note, I have discovered the utility of the MP3 capability of the CD deck. Last night I burned a data CD with 6 hrs 49+ min of songs on a single disk! :)

4. morpheusx

morpheusx Professor Chaos

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I think it has something to do with the compression rates because some of the stations don't sound as badly compressed as others do. I currently have a Sirius plug and play unit as well, but I formerly had an XM unit in my previous car and you could hear some of the compression on it as well.