1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Differences Between Models

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Scottie255, Aug 25, 2013.

1. Scottie255

Scottie255 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I apologize in advance if this has already been asked and I missed it.

I'm shopping around for a pre-owned Prius and I'm looking at the 2010, 2011, and 2012 models which are in my price range. I am having trouble though telling the difference between the models in each of those years (I, II, III, IV, etc.). Is there somewhere I could read a list of the differences between the models on each of those years?

Specifically here are the options I'm looking for:
    -MP3/iPod connection for stereo
    -Bluetooth connectivity
    -Cruise Control
    -Remote keyless entry
    -Remote keyless engine start (I live in CT :) )

Any help would be appreciated!

Scott

2. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Just a FYI:
    Its good to know the model differences, but what you'll find in the marketplace is many dealers and people who don't know what they're selling. So you're still back to looking for those specific features. VIN numbers are the only reliable way to know what a car actually has. The remote start is an add-on that you can get for any model.

3. cary1952

cary1952 Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    remote keyless engine start is an add on, I believe, and could be added if it is not included. I believe anything from level 2 up has the other features. There are slight body changes between the 2010 and 2012 notably rear taillights. I would stick to 2011 or 2012 if you want used. It is possible to get a new 2013 Prius 2 now for $22000-22500 with smart shopping. Where do you live?

JMD likes this.
  4. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The OP should googe the question

5. Scottie255

Scottie255 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you all for the quick responses. Thanks for the heads up rdgrimes--I definitely am hoping to know more than the salesman so I don't waste my time :).
    Cary1952--Thank you for the advice about getting a level 2 and up. Unfortunately my price range is more in the under $17,000 range. I live in Connecticut and so far have used autotrader to give me an idea of the price ranges. I'm finding that I can get a 2010 or 2011 with about 30,000 miles and the features I'm looking for in that price range. I haven't seen many 2012 models in that range on that site yet. I would love to get a newer model, but it seems to me that in that price range I would have to have a newer model with higher mileage (above 75K) which doesn't sound appealing to me. So my two remaining questions are: 1. Do you know of other sites for price shopping to make sure I get the best deal? 2. Are there other differences besides the tail lights between the 2010 and 2012 that would make the 2012 more appealing?

Lastly, I have googled this topic quite a bit, but I've found it difficult to find a comprehensive list and was hoping that users this site would know best :).

6. Elaine08

Elaine08 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You could see what's listed at cargurus.com.

As for googling, try entering "difference between Prius 1 2 3 and 4"

7. vito.a

vito.a Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'm also shopping for a used Prius. I found the 2008, 2009, and 2010 Prius brochures at Toyota of TriCities (you will need to Google it as I cannot post links).

My limited summation of the 2010 differences:
    III adds hands free Blue Tooth cell phone, JBL sound, and the option to add Solar Roof and/or Nav.
    IV adds heated leather, auto dimming mirror, Homelink, ionizer, adjustable lumbar support, and can also add the optional Solar Roof and/or Nav.
    V adds LED headlights with washers, fog lamps, 17" wheels, and the option to purchase Technology packages (dynamic cruise, pre-collision, auto parking, and lane assist). From the brochure, it doesn't look like the Solar roof is available in the V.

My understanding is you can connect an iPod to the aux in jack in the center console, but it will not charge or display the music titles. If you add the Toyota Ipod interface, it disables your Sat radio. You can add the Toyota USB interface or the Grom audio interface (also adds Bluetooth) and connect your iPod through it.

Hope this helps!

8. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two

IIRC, all of those except the remote engine start is standard on all Prius trim levels. The Prius Two only has keyless entry on the driver's door. Three and up have it on three doors (I presume driver, passenger front and hatchback).

Keyless engine start is an add on option and a better investment than buying a higher trim level just to have the remote A/C function that runs only 3 minutes off the batteries.

9. cary1952

cary1952 Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four

I think that you can download past yearly brochures of Prii, but I am not sure where.

10. Scottie255

Scottie255 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Does the Prius 1 trim have cruise control? And I thought the Bluetooth connectivity came standard at Trim 3 and above?

11. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well, Prius 1 is a "fleet" model with pretty much no extras. You don't even see it advertised in the brochure as it's not offered to the general public. As of 2012 and 2013 (IIRC), Bluetooth is on all models (Two and up). On the Prius Two, it only connects your smart phone for phone calls and music playback, but on the Three and above it is capable of doing more (well, so I presume with "voice commands" being available). Someone who knows more about those features could chime in as to what they do.