1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Differences between Prius c and a Gen II fuel economy and maintenance?

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by ystasino, Aug 21, 2012.

1. ystasino

ystasino Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    As a rather nuanced -but not particularly persistent- Gen II hypermiler with a 64.1 mpg 600 mile tank I'm curious to hear the perspectives of other drivers that are trying to hypermile with the Prius c compared to a Gen II. Here are some examples of what I'm looking to read:

What's the max speed that the c can glide using the hybrid battery while having the engine off?
    How long does the engine need to run to warm up sufficiently to reach the stages where it shuts off?
    How will my scangauge II work on a Prius c? How sufficient is the Prius c dashboard information?
    On the Gen II we usually say that that the most efficient operation/acceleration of the ICE is when the speed (MPH) is about 1.5 of the instant MPG reading. Does that hold for the Prius c ICE?
    How does the ECO mode work?

As an inexperienced and not very nuanced user/driver I have followed the maintenance instructions written by respected members on the Gen II maintenance forum, use Shell gas, Mobil 1 every 8000 miles, change the transmission fluid every 40,000 miles etc.

What maintenance differences/recommendations would you make, compared to the Gen II? Is there a "what services you need, which ones you don't" sticky/thread on the Prius C similar to the one we have in the Gen II maintenance forum?

Thanks!

2. walter Lee

walter Lee Hypermiling Padawan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    1. max speed glide speed
    Prius c = 46 mph, 2nd gen Prius = 43 mph.. ..IMHO the differences are negliable.

2. warm up
    The Prius C with the Exhause Heat Recovery (EHR) system warms up faster than the 2nd gen Prius which uses the Coolant Heat Recovery System (CHS) - which is why the CHS was dropped for the EHR in the 3rd generation. However, the 2nd gen Prius will retain its recovered heat better in winter time and will be more fuel efficient than the 3rd gen Prius/Prius c when short trips are done in sequence together where the time between short trips is longer between 30 minutes to 120 minutes. This is because the CHS works to retain coolant heat the EHR only works to efficiently create coolant heat. In the winter time - energy conservation(CHS) beats energy efficiency(EHR) when stringing short trips together. In the summer time, the EHR should beat the CHS hands down.

3. For hypermiling I like the ScangaugeII xgauges. The Prius c display is more useful than the 2nd gen prius display. The main weakness of the ScangaugeII is monitoring the combined power drain /usage of the electric motors.

4. for a 3rd gen Prius mpg=mph often is quoted as a compromise top acceleration rate (flat terrain) - the Prius c is lighter so the acceleration rate for flat terrain maybe different. In hilly terrain when going up hill I found that beyond getting a running start - that for the best fuel efficiency, the scangaugeII xgauges GPH and RPM ( when set to gph=.70 to 1.20 rpm=1000 to 1400) achieve better fuel efficiencies than relying any relationship based on the MPH/MPG xgauges.

5. Power, Normal, Eco mode alter the acceleration sensitivity. Eco mode will also automatically dampen Air Conditioner operations (and reportedly lower the coolant temperatures when the ICE shutdowns occur).

6. The Prius c and 3rd gen Prius requires 0w20 synethnic oil - the 2nd gen Prius does not. The 2nd gen prius is more like a conventional car and has a regular metal canister oil filter. The Prius c and 3rd gen Prius is less like a conventional car and has a paper oil filter. Unlike the 2nd gen Prius - you need four jack stands not two jack stands to work underneath a 3rd gen Prius or Prius c because of the way one has to remove/access the underside.

3. ystasino

ystasino Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thank you for your reply!

1) After the car is warmed up or into stage 3b, can I force the c in stage 4 by pressing the Parking gear and starting the engine by pressing the gas pedal?

2) Hobbit had programmed some xgauges for the Gen II in which he showed instant power changes and where he proposes that 15 kW was a good power range for the Gen II to accelerate at. Any idea if the kW gauge as programmed here Sweet spot refinement works on the c?

3) In Gen II we avoided dealer oil assuming it was bulk and dirty. Should I assume that it is safe to use the dealer's own synthetic oil and follow a 10,000 mile oil change schedule?

4. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    When driving through the suburbs, on roads with a 45 mph limit, you quickly notice the difference. Also, it's 42 for 2nd gen.

We should mention ECO mode here. It lowers the coolant temperature threshold. That's offers a big gain over 2nd gen.

It's 145°F, but changes to 114°F when you switch to ECO mode.

Where would the other two go? I certainly haven't ever needed four. Tall stands placed on the frame behind the front tires do the trick. You can use ramps instead, though that does get tight.

5. walter Lee

walter Lee Hypermiling Padawan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    John1701a: From the photos/videos that I've seen, the 3rd gen Prius has hinged undercarriage plastic cowlings to improve aerodynamics which block access to the oil filter and require the Prius to be raised on all four wheels rather than two wheels so that the plastic cowlings can be rotated out of the way. Some DIY types suggest using four jackstands, others use two ramps with two jackstands, but the easiest way is to just put the Prius on a garage lift. Maybe there is another way? The 2nd gen Prius just needs two jackstands or two ramps to lift up the front of the Prius to get access to the oil pan oil plug (change the oil) and oil filter. I don't use ECO mode that often anymore because I need a faster throtttle response for climbing uphill from a traffic light dead stop.

Ystasino: 3rd gen Prius ICE *sweet spot* range for the best FE is from about .60gph to 1.50gph/992 rpm to 1700 rpm - but it jumps around depending on the driving conditions. ITSM that getting the Prius into SuperHighway Mode is sort of like running the Prius ICE continually in its sweet spot mode. 3rd gen Prius is only suppose to use synthetic oil, 0w20. FWIW Toyota dealerships are suppose to use Toyota's own house brand of 0w20 synthetic oil.

6. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    With jack-stands behind the front wheels on the frame of the vehicle at a high setting, the access door can simply be pulled out of the way. It's no big deal. The entire assembly is flexible plastic.

7. Oldwolf

Oldwolf Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    My C uses the same canister filter that my Gen 2 uses.

8. RocMills

RocMills Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    (new to the terminology, so please forgive if i use the wrong words)... I have been able to get glide, green arrows only, at speeds of 50 and 51 mph in city driving on fairly level roads (using, i believe, pulse and glide technique).

9. Danny13pruisc3

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    this was an interesting thread.. too bad it was so short.