1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dirt on sills under doors

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by PriusRos, Apr 9, 2016.

1. PriusRos

PriusRos A Fairly Senior Member - 2016 Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    So far, I love my 2016 Blizzard Pearl but she is proving quite a high-maintenance type of girl.

Of course, one would expect white to show dirt easily but what I find unusual is that the way the seals on the doors are designed, there's a gap underneath the doors and during wet weather, dirt and moisture seems to splash up under the doors and onto the sills. We've had quite a bit of wet weather recently, and they are always dirty.

I even found some dirty rainwater in the gas cap compartment (although the little door was closed).

Is this normal?

Coast Cruiser likes this.
  2. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Actually lighter colors are better with day to day road grime type dirtiness; however, dark mud or red clay type soils will show up better on white. It just really depends on your local environment. Around here most dirt is a dark white to brownish color (caliche) so our 06 in driftwood metallic does really well at looking clean even though it isn't. My white CMax just gets duller looking while our dark blue metallic Outback starts looking dirty almost immediately after a wash. LOL

Generally the higher the speeds traveled, the more grime will work its way into the sills.

PriusRos likes this.
  3. PriusRos

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    You're right that dark cars can show dirt but my last car, Winter Grey 2010 Prius, didn't show too much dirt at all. It would get duller but you couldn't really see the dirt unless it was mud or white bird doo (which was a problem). What I'm referring to isn't mud that kicks up from the road, but dirty wet spots splashing up and getting trapped under the doors. You can't see it until the doors are opened. I don't think that occurred on the 2010, but then maybe it just wasn't so noticeable.

And I've also found that the doors on the 2016 don't close as easily. You have to push/pull them quite hard for them to close properly, which wasn't the case with the 2010. The seals are quite different.

4. DonDNH

DonDNH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Part of making the car a bit quieter?

5. GaryD1

GaryD1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    was on gen 3, glad you shared, was hoping this had improved. Its part of the wash job on gen 3, especially blizzard pearl around door jambs, it seems to show up more

Coast Cruiser and PriusRos like this.
  6. Kenny94945

Kenny94945 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    I have noticed this dirt in the door sill and jam issue too.

With Chevy C4 year Corvettes, they also had that issue. The aftermarket came up with a secondary weatherstrip.
    Not sure if a second ws is adaptable to a Prius....you can try.

Else nature of the beast, we all just have to wipe those sills/ jams clean

PriusRos likes this.
  7. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The rain water/dirt that runs down the window, drains into the door, then out the bottom drain holes in the door, out on the door sills. Not much you can do about it.

kithmo likes this.
  8. PriusRos

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hmm...maybe...

Merged.

Hmm... so you're saying, it's the rainwater draining down from the top, not splashing up from the bottom ...

#8 PriusRos, Apr 9, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2016
  9. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That's exactly what I'm saying...

Think about it, how likely it is for outside water to squeeze into the narrow gap under the door vs water running down the side of the car. If you look under the doors, they all have drain holes for water. If they didn't, the doors would fill up with water.

10. Coast Cruiser

Coast Cruiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'm glad you brought this up, PriusRos. It's odd. I've never had this happen on any other Toyota product I've owned, or any car for that matter. I also have a fairly large amount of dirt being thrown up on the lower body panels, behind each (Toyo) tire. Looking forward to getting Mudguards when available. (This is after a light rain.) image.jpg

#10 Coast Cruiser, Apr 9, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2016
    xerox6135 and PriusRos like this.
  11. PriusRos

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yep, just have to keep wiping, I guess. I asked the dealer whether there was something such as weather stripping or rubber treads and they couldn't find anything. The salesman showed me that there was a gap between the bottom of the door and the jam and the seal was higher up. I really don't think it was like that on the 2010 but of course I don't have it now to compare.

12. Coast Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    image.jpg What is that lower piece... for "ground effects?" Sure attracts a lot of dirt. The upper door sill is clean.

I keep hitting my foot/ankle on it when exiting the car. You can see how far it extends out. I have to take an extra second, and remember it's there. (Along with mudguards, I'm looking for those stick-on metal door sill protectors. None available yet.)

#12 Coast Cruiser, Apr 9, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2016
    PriusRos likes this.
  13. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's there in the 2010. I know cause I'm anal and I wipe all the door sills with a different cloth to remove the oils and water marks. Sometimes, i'll just open the door and run the wash mitt along the door sills as well with the car wash soap.

No, it's just how the door is built. Anything inside of that part is covered/blocked by the rubber door seals.

14. Coast Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    These are Toyota OEM "Euro" Mud Flaps:
    2016 Toyota Prius Mud guards and Mud Flaps and Splash Guards | JuicedHybrid

I think that dirt on the door sills is image.jpg coming from the front tires. The dirt goes right through that crack underneath the door.

Experiment completed.

I washed everything, and got all the door sills clean. (Water does not drain down through the doors. Where did that idea come from? The seal is tight around the windows on my Gen4.)

Light rain stopped last night. I found a wet road in the park with several puddles. Drove on that road, and sure enough, the inside door sills are wet and dirty again. The water/dirt is coming up off the front tires, and going through the crack under the door.

None of my 3 other Toyota's did this. Nor my Honda. What's up with this Prius?!? :cautious:

PriusRos likes this.
  15. DonDNH

DonDNH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    There are drain holes on the bottom of the door (at least on Gen-III). I get water draining after washing the car.

kithmo and xliderider like this.
  16. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    On our 3rd gen it gets grubby in that area. I think worst case would be when it hasn't rained in a while, there's a lot of soot and brake dust on the roads. Maybe a matter of degree, more pronounced on 4th gen? But yeah, 3rd gen is not impervious to this: any time I wash the car, albeit infrequently, the sills are kinda grungy.

17. Coast Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    How the hell can Toyota make a car, that let's water inside the door?! I never heard of such a thing. I'd be afraid to pull the door panel off, and see what's in there! :ROFLMAO: Rust???

18. DonDNH

DonDNH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Most cars have drain holes; the seal between the door glass and the door isn't perfect and if you didn't have a drain, you'd get a bit of standing water accumulating in the bottom of the door.

19. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    All cars get water inside the door. Owner's Manuals typically caution you to ensure the drain holes at the bottom of door are clear, whenever you're washing the car. Door windows are the reason: a rain soaked window can be rolled down, taking water in, nothing can be done about it, except to ensure the water doesn't get into electrics, get hung up somewhere, is able to drain easily.

kithmo, xliderider and Coast Cruiser like this.
  20. Coast Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Makes sense. But I never noticed any of my previous cars draining water under the doors. Now I gotta go outside, and lay on the ground, and find those door holes! o_O:confused:

This is what I found, guys. The hole is shaped like a slit. One slit under the front and back door. (Those two black rubber things on each side of the slit are little cushions, I guess.)

image.jpg

Paul, from juicedhybrid emailed me, and said they will adding more accessories for the 2016 Prius hatchback next week. Including door sill protectors, and mud guards/splash guards.

Mendel Leisk likes this.