1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Disable always on headlights (europe 2008)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by lmp, Apr 4, 2014.

1. lmp

lmp Lauris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hello,

I have question about 2008. European version. I'd like to disable always on headlights and parking lights. So I'd like to be able to switch lights on, as usual with switch.
    I'm not sure how it is working right now, as there is no way to switch off parking lights (with car switched on of course). When I turn light switch one step forward the headlights are switched off but parking lights are still on, and dash light gets dimmer. If I turn switch forward then headlights turns back on.
    I have read many posts, and couldn't find anything related my situation. There are place for DRL fuse, but I have no fuse there.

My goal is to add LED DRL lights, but to make it efficient I need to disable auto lights so during night I can switch lights on manually.

Cheers!

2. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I do not quite understand what you are trying to do.
    The European lights work by turning the switch one click gives side lights (dimming the dash) a second click on the same switch turns on the headlamps.
    To fit DRL lights you will have to use a 12 volt supply from the "ready supply" so that when you make the car ready the DRL's come on. This in turn would need to be switched off by a relay connected to the side light circuit so that when side or headlamps are on the DRL's are turned off. Some cars turn off the DRL lights on one side when the indicator (turn signal) on that side are turned on, but this would require two more relays with timing devices to make this work.

John (Britprius)

3. lmp

lmp Lauris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius

Perhaps it should be like you wrote, but not in my case. Maybe there are versions...
    My car (bought new from Toyota dealer) has (always had) bit different head lamps behavior. When I bought my Prii here in my country already where law requiring DRL or headlights all year long 24/7.
    When I switch power on (READY), immediately turns on head lights and side lights (sorry don't know exactly what is correct naming, English is not my native language), even if lights switch is turned off. If I turn switch one click - headlights off, sidelights still on, dimmer dash. 2nd click headlights back on, everything else as 1 click.
    So there is no way how can I switch off side lights.
    I'd like to have behavior like you described. If I power on car - no lights are switched on (ok later I'll add led DRL lights), if I turn lights switch 1 click turns on side lights (dash dimming), 2nd click turns on headlamps.
    In our country law requires that if head lights are switched on DRL should automatically switch off, but is is easy - one relay and wire to headlamp relay.

4. epoch_time

epoch_time Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The turn signal combination switch (according to the prints) is where the off, tail, head switch positions are jumper strapped for desired function.
    Tha maintenance manual as well as pictures on ebay do not show any detail of hard wire options on the turn signal, lo,flash,off,tail, head combination switch.

The prints show what looks to be a 6 by 6 grid jumperable matrix within the turn signal hi-lo-off-tail-head combination switch. Where the off position can be jumpered for either tail head low high or even flash
    Options. Finding the jumper that's turning the drl on in the selectors off position could be very difficult to impossible!
    Look like a possible nightmear
    Perhaps a USA turn signal combination switch could be purchased and installed another possible nightmear!

5. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    In European version (at least one with light always on function) lights are connected differently. Combination switch is connected to body ecu and body ecu is connected to headlight, dimmer, taillight, and fog light relays. So auto headlight function is in body ecu. So light always on function can be removed by programming body ecu (if possible). Or replacing body ecu by one without light always on function if wiring is same. Or wiring combination switch directly to tail, and head relays (I think you need one diode) (connection is probably easiest to make at body ecus end).

Can body ecu be reprogrammed or is there changeable options in it? How?

6. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I have not looked at this, but the function of the lights may be changeable with the Mini VCI and Techstream. Many functions in the ecu are. When I get chance I will hook up my VCI and check.

John (Britprius)

7. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    At least on mine there aren’t options under lighting.