1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Disappointed with '07 Headlights-Standard Car

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by dorf, Aug 14, 2007.

1. dorf

dorf Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The first chance I've had to drive at night and was disappointed with the headlights.

Seems to me the Lows are too low and the Highs are also too low.

Is it me ?

I'm 5'7'', seems like I need to be taller in the seat-but there is no adjustment, up and down.

It is the only complaint I can find on the car.

Anyone else feel the same ????

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Perhaps they're adjusted too low?

Usually the complaints here are that they're too high!

The headlight adjuster is "behind" the headlights. It's a metal cap that looks like a beer bottle cap.

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    By "Standard Car" do you mean non-HID headlamps?

Tom

4. AOV

AOV New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    "standard car" probably means no package, right? If so, I have the same "standard car".
    I too have an issue with the headlights, seems that the "low" setting only shines up to a certain area and drops off (hard to explain and put into words), does not shine far enough, yet the high beams, I think are just great, but...can't use them all the time. Don't drive much at night, not comfortable not being able to see what's ahead of me. Just comparing to other cars I have driven, the low setting was always good enough for me.

5. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Again, you guys can adjust the headlights yourself. I did that (Cause my left beam was aiming a bit high so it could blind oncoming traffic). I told my dealer and they refused to do it claiming it was within specs. I basically said if I cause an accident because the headlights were too high, it'll be your fault. I told them to enter it in the computer database that I've mentioned that the lights were aimed high.

After a while, I got tired of worrying whether I was blinding people so I just adjusted it myself. I took less than 5 mins. I can't believe the dealer was that lazy.

6. tekn0wledg

tekn0wledg New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Aug 15 2007, 11:42 AM) [snapback]496144[/snapback]</div>
    It shouldn't surprise you, they likely realized they weren't going to make any money fixing the issue for you since it was minor.

That's the problem with some of the maintenance shops around. The personal aspect of being good to your customers and loving the products you work on goes out the door. That's not all places, but it seems more often than not these days.

7. Prius2004Mass

Prius2004Mass New Member

I am aslo dissatisfied with the headlights on my car..I end up driving with my "high" beams on for most of my night driving where the streetlights are minimal. I have not had anyone "flash" their high beams at me-indicating that my lights are bothering them.
    I now have a second issue-- the red triangle waring light is indicating that my headlights adjuster is not working properly. However- the light has only come on twice for a short period of time. I have read other posts suggesting that it may have something to do with cargo weight. I am now wondering if the problem with my low beams is really an adjustment issue. I am intrigued to try to adjust them myself (per previous posts)- I am sure it will be a costly visit to the local dealership to reset the warning light and replace the sensor- which is what they will probably reccommend! I have a brother that is a mechanic but he is not trained on newer vehicles- he works at a small independent garage. My vehicle is off warranty. arghhh... <_<
    Do you think that it is cargo weight- sensor- reset alignment issue??

8. Prius2004Mass

Prius2004Mass New Member

I am aslo dissatisfied with the headlights on my car..I end up driving with my "high" beams on for most of my night driving where the streetlights are minimal. I have not had anyone "flash" their high beams at me-indicating that my lights are bothering them.
    I now have a second issue-- the red triangle waring light is indicating that my headlights adjuster is not working properly. However- the light has only come on twice for a short period of time. I have read other posts suggesting that it may have something to do with cargo weight. I am now wondering if the problem with my low beams is really an adjustment issue. I am intrigued to try to adjust them myself (per previous posts)- I am sure it will be a costly visit to the local dealership to reset the warning light and replace the sensor- which is what they will probably reccommend! I have a brother that is a mechanic but he is not trained on newer vehicles- he works at a small independent garage. My vehicle is off warranty. arghhh... <_<
    Do you think that it is cargo weight- sensor- reset alignment issue??

9. subarutoo

subarutoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Should have gotten the HIDs. After driving my Prius with HIDs, my wife's Subaru Outback's lights were like driving in a dark closet with only a night light. Funny, I never noticed the difference until I got the Prius. I replaced all the Subaru bulbs with Silver Stars, cost about $50 after pep Boys rebate (2 headlights + 2 fog lights). There was a coupon in the Sunday paper (LA) for Silver Stars at Pepboys. There are other alternatives, but it made an improvement over the stock halogens, and just plug right it. I've never driven a non-HID Prius, but I can imagine.

10. subarutoo

subarutoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Should have gotten the HIDs. After driving my Prius with HIDs, my wife's Subaru Outback's lights were like driving in a dark closet with only a night light. Funny, I never noticed the difference until I got the Prius. I replaced all the Subaru bulbs with Silver Stars, cost about $50 after pep Boys rebate (2 headlights + 2 fog lights). There was a coupon in the Sunday paper (LA) for Silver Stars at Pepboys. There are other alternatives, but it made an improvement over the stock halogens, and just plug right it. I've never driven a non-HID Prius, but I can imagine.

11. burns_fisher

burns_fisher Burns

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(subarutoo @ Sep 13 2007, 03:40 PM) [snapback]512062[/snapback]</div>
    My Prius has HIDs; I like the color and brightness of them, but they do seem adjusted wrong. The low beam is ok, but the high beam does not seem to project ahead enough, as though it is adjusted too low. Are the HIDs adjustable?

12. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

Failure of the rear axle height sensor has been discussed with photos many times here and on POL. You probably need a new sensor, but if you are adventurous, take yours apart, clean and reseal it, and you may be fine.

13. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Note that only the HID equipped cars have the height sensor.

You CAN make the halogen headlamps brighter, but it's not legal to go to higher power bulbs. The site below have higher output bulbs that run the same power as stock. Check out:
    http://www.rallylights.com/hella/H4.asp

There are a lot of possibilities on that site.

If legality is not a problem, they have bulbs with stock low beam wattage but much higher high beam wattage. So you'd only blind people you want to. ;)

If you do opt for higher power bulbs you have to be very careful about the wiring, which you can overheat and melt the insulation. You can also overheat the housings and melt the plastic. But the high performance stock power bulbs do look promising. Probably shorter life though. There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

14. burns_fisher

burns_fisher Burns

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(David Beale @ Sep 20 2007, 03:02 PM) [snapback]515383[/snapback]</div>
    In my case, I DO have HIDs. Thanks for the suggestion to search (I don't find seach works very well, but I eventually found it). Turns out that my height adjuster seems to be working, so I'll be asking the Toyota guys to check the adjustment next time I'm in.

15. kdailey356

kdailey356 New Member

I have the HID lights in my prius, and I am disapointed with them as well... My 328xi's xenon lights are unbelievable. They are sealed beam and make me laugh at the prius's lows/highs. Maybe try and find a better upgrade for the lightbulb..

16. burns_fisher

burns_fisher Burns

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(CapeCodPrius @ Sep 25 2007, 10:57 AM) [snapback]517391[/snapback]</div>
    I just rode with a neighbor who also has HIDs, and her lights seemed much better. I think mine are just aimed low. I really like the color and brightness of the HIDs, btw.

17. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ugh.. I swapped out my right headlight for stock bulbs today (if you haven't heard, the Silverstars blew out). The difference is astounding. The left bulb is very white and bright. The right pales in comparison and looks just like the foglights in colour. Now I have one white and one yellow bulb lol.

No worries, I'll replace both when the new set of bulbs arrives.

18. FishHawk

FishHawk New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Sep 25 2007, 11:43 PM) [snapback]517754[/snapback]</div>
    I agree that the headlight are not what I'm used to. The high beams are too high. I know they are in spec because I have gotten a state inspection stickers and the lights are in spec. There doesn't seem to be a mid rage on the lights . The low are sort of a high low if you know what I mean. FishHawk

19. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FishHawk @ Sep 26 2007, 03:54 AM) [snapback]517805[/snapback]</div>
    Well you can always adjust them if you want. This is one of the very few features that Toyota allows for driver/owner adjustment.

The headlight adjuster is under the hood, "behind" the lights and slightly inboard. They look like upside down bottle caps (so yeah, they can be a bit sharp)