1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dishonest dealership or legitimate issue?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by manilapoo, Dec 5, 2013.

1. manilapoo

manilapoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I recently had my only smart key for my 09 Prius stolen out of the car while it was parked in my garage. Finances have been a bit of a struggle lately so I pleaded my case to the closest dealership to my house and they agreed to provide a new key and programming free of charge. A day later they call me back and tell me that they are having a problem with the power button. This raised a red flag with me because I have never experienced a problem with the key in the 3 years that I have owned the car, and the beep and key dash notification came up in the instrument panel.

I work about 20 minutes from the dealership and don't really have anyone that can go and keep an eye on the work being done. They said it was going to take a master diagnostic technician 6 hours @ $125/hr to pull the entire dash and trace the wiring to the power/start button. This labor cost would be in addition to any parts that need to be replaced during the process.

Now I will confess that I have not scoured this forum for similar issues. I will do that after I post this, but there is no shortage of experience and knowledge here and I figured I would just ask. Is this a common "trick" that dealerships use to prey on people or is this a common and legitimate issue or is this just a once in a million type impossible issue?

I know the details I provided wouldn't lead to a concrete answer because you haven't seen the car, but I'm sure some of you know the inner workings of the "smart" key and can speak from experience what the likelihood of each scenario is. What should I do in this situation? My thought is that I plead my case to Toyota's corporate office in hopes that they will step in to help me get to a financially sane solution.

Can you chime in and let me know I'm not crazy for thinking they are trying to pull a fast one on me?

-manilapoo

2. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I am going to assume that by the Power button that you are talking about the "Power or start" button on the dash. Since they are saying that they are going to have to pull the dash this would make sense. This is a different problem than the SKS or smart key. The only link being that the SKS ECU has to acknowledge the presence of the SKS key fob before it will activate the Power button in order to start the car.

This is the first Power button issue that I have seen on this forum, especially for a car the age of yours. Since you have never had an issue with this Power button before now this does seem mighty suspect. I would agree with you contacting the Toyota Customer Care center to discuss.

Good luck. Keep us posted.

manilapoo likes this.
  3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Since you've already explained to the dealer that your finances are tight, I doubt that you would be the best candidate for the service dept to try to scam.

I think that it is more likely that the dealer tech is having trouble getting the replacement fob to be recognized by the immobilizer ECU. It was a really bad idea for you to operate the car with only one fob available, as it is much easier to have a replacement fob installed given the presence of an already-functioning fob.

I am also wondering why the fob would be stolen out of the car? If someone is going to the trouble to steal the fob, why not drive the car away while they are at it? The fob by itself has little value...

4. manilapoo

manilapoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you for responding Patrick.

We are very frugal and try to not to have any excess spending because we simply do not make a lot of money. We never really priced a second key and always figured it would be too expensive to get another one. Obviously, now we are fully aware of how much it can cost to lose your only key. Lesson learned.

As for how it was stolen, they very well could have taken the entire vehicle and got away with it. When we woke up the garage door was open and we noticed a nice mess inside the car. The key was in my wife's purse which she leaves in the driver seat. The car was in the garage with the garage door closed. They managed to quietly open the door, get to the car, and steal the purse at around 4am. They also threw everything out of the center console and glove box looking for cash I guess. My bicycle and all my tools were all still there. My DVR didn't catch anything either because of the horrible fog we had that morning.

Also, I now have a zip tie holding my manual override tab locked on my garage door track. I'm guessing he used a coat hanger through the top of the garage to grab the string and pop the garage door open.

5. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for the reply. I get it now: the thief decided to steal the purse, and the fob just happened to be within. Good luck, hope your dealer can get your car figured out.

6. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I agree with Patrick's thoughts on the dealer tech having trouble getting the ECU to recognize the new key fob. This makes a lot more sense than a wiring issue with a Power button that has been working fine.

If this is the case, I would go back to the dealer and argue the point that you should not be expected to pay for the tech's difficulty in completing his task. Since they are supplying the new key fob and should be using the Toyota Techstream software, the tech should be trained on how to complete this task.

This may be a case where the dealer first offered to replace the key for you at no cost. Then when the tech ran in to difficulties they decided they needed to charge for his time and came up with the Power button story to do this !

Another point, if you purchased the car new you should have received two keys.

7. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's too bad.

Listen, over the internet, without the vehicle in our possession how can we tell?

You say that you had never had any trouble with it before, and I believe you.

If I was you, my suspicions would be highly aroused. I'd be worried that the problem as manifesting was either caused by their attempt to reprogram a new fob and/or some other interaction with the power button.

I would of been suspicious from the very start, as a new key- "assuming you mean fob" and programming can be an expensive operation in of itself. The dealership saying they would give this to you for free is somewhat suspicious in of itself. But perhaps they were just trying to be nice.

What can you do now? Something is screwed up, and if the button is now not working you are going to have to have it fixed.

You could ask them to stop everything and then try to get it to a different repair facility. But I think your just in a bad situation. And without hands on interaction, it would be unfair of me to say whether The Dealership is pulling a fast one, and/or you don't just have a real problem. The most I can say, is I think it fair you are suspicious.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    they can't provide a new key and programming to solve your issue. so obviously, they were either ignorant or lieing. with dealers, it's sometimes difficult to know. in any case, when you lose both keys, it gets a whole lot more expensive, but it in no way involves the power button. i would shop around for a dealer who can do the work correctly. you might have to bite the bullet on this one, but it doesn't hurt to contact toyota. all the best!(y)

9. YOLOsoBuyaPrius

YOLOsoBuyaPrius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Go to dealer, walk in like you own it and ask to speak to someone who worked on your car. When you see them ask them to explain what exactly the problem is, if they say the power button doesn't work tell them it was working before and then ask them why you have to pay for the mistake they made. Then ask why they cant just use Techstream and program a key. Make sure to mention this site then they know you have all of our knowledge behind this. (The dealers hate us) If you could not even dream of doing this just be nice but still ask why you are paying for what they broke.

manilapoo likes this.
  10. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Keep us posted and good luck

manilapoo likes this.
  11. manilapoo

manilapoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    UPDATE:

I asked the service advisor to elaborate on the exact issue and he stated that the car's power/start button was not responding when the car went into "programming" mode. He did say they went through the process of resetting the immobilizer, but from what I read they needed to verify that I am in fact the owner of the car and they did not do that. They reduced the labor cost with the "master diagnostic technician" to $80/hr(max 6 hours charged) and are still providing the key and programming at "no cost". They have had the car all day Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday so I'm sure they have exceeded the 6 hours of tech labor. I asked to have a picture of the car emailed to me in its current condition this morning. I'll post here if I get it.

12. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I am sure it hurts to have to pay for the dealer tech's lack of knowledge on how to perform this task properly.

Having said that it appears that the dealer has tried to be accomodating to you and your current financial position. So you have to give them some credit.

But in the end you are going to end up paying more than if they had just charged you for the new key fob and the programming.

manilapoo likes this.
  13. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It never ceases to amaze me how many cars arrive at a dealership healthy and wind up with a four figure ailment.

Scam?
    Probably.
    Proof?
    Absolutely none, so you're probably scrood.
    Other than giving them the stink eye when you sign off on the repair you are at their tender mercies.
    If it were me?
    I'd pitch a dammit and tell then that they'll be sprinkling rock salt on the sidewalks from where HELL has frozen over before Toyota gets ANY more of MY money, and then I'd pop an angry red flare over whatever Toyota currently uses for a (*cough!!*) customer care branch and make them defend their diagnosis.......but that's me. :D

Disclaimer: My last Toyota was over 20 cars ago. "My" G3 is a company car, so I am NOT unbiased with this issue.

Whenever they get finished with you, and if you're going to keep the car you need to arrange for a second key fob.
    If you live in a major city, see if there's a locksmith that has the ability to reprogram a used fob, and then buy one off of eBay and keep it as a spare.
    Contrary to Toyota and popular belief, it is possible to have a used fob mated to another Prius-like car.

You have an 09 (G2).
    If you decide to keep this car.....and it's a great car to keep(!!)....you're going to have to do more maintenance/repair work.
    There are a lot of DIY posts on this site to help keep you from getting doinked over by dealers and unscrupulous indy shops.
    My advice would be to either perform self maintenance/repair or establish a relationship with a repair shop that you can trust. If you learn as much about the car as you can it will help keep honest technicians honest.

I'm sorry about the fob.

Good Luck!

manilapoo likes this.
  14. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I'm not a mechanic. My Bimmer I had 2 keys. Both had some little silver tab I kept in my home and the spare key also.

I went out one evening and valet parked my car. Had a great dinner and a drink with the wife. Came outside and gave the ticket to the valet. After a delay the guy said we lost the key. We looked everywhere and we cannot find it.

I said I have a spare key at home. They paid round trip cab fee I got my spare key and drove the car home.

They said get a bill and we will reimburse you to get a new key. It cost $150.

I went to the dealer on Monday with the only key they have and the 2 key tags. Showed them proof of ownership. They gave me a new key and disabled the lost key. No problems and years later I sold the car.

It was perhaps the only thing that went right with that car.

The dealer says they do this every day. They never touched the car. It was done in the parts dept on a computer.

manilapoo likes this.
  15. manilapoo

manilapoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Update #2
    I receive a call from the service advisor admitting to me that there was in fact no short in the wiring to the power/start button on the car. He NOW tells me that the car needs a new "transponder ECU" Part# 8978047041 (Yes, I asked for the part #). He then proceeds to tell me that this has been a technical service bulletin all along. The repair manual doc id RM000001EB00DX stating that when the keys are lost this ecu needs replacing. I haven't done any searching on either item just yet. I literally just got off the phone with him, but I will be scouring the internet for any form of confirmation of this. Hopefully some of you veterans can assist if you are willing?

The financial outlook got worse as well. I was initially quotes $480 for labor only.

The labor hour minimum bumped from 6 hours to 8 hours @ $80/hr (reduced from $125/hr)
    They want to now charge for the Transponder ECU @ $323.05
    They want to expedite the delivery of the ECU @ $50

with tax he quotes $1077.95 all because someone stole my only key. :(

I haven't approved the work yet, and they just admitted they were wrong on their initial diagnosis.

16. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you do a PriusChat search you will find posts discussing how this is to be done. It is not necessary to replace the transponder ECU.

manilapoo likes this.
  17. manilapoo

manilapoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I did find this one yesterday. I sent this to the service advisor and he stated the technicians had already completed the immobilizer reset process.

priuschat /threads/the-end-of-the-dont-lose-your-keys-or-else-myth.21501/ (Apparently, I am not able to post links here just yet)

18. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    EJECT! EJECT! EJECT! :eek:
    Let me see if I understand this.
    Somebody stole a key fob out of your Prius, and now the dealer is trying to get you to believe that this is going to result in a FOUR FIGURE REPAIR BILL?

Really?
    C'mon! I mean....
    Really?

I think that I'd be wearing out keyboards right about now contacting anybody that I could think of in the media, Toyota Customer Care, the BBB, the Chamber of Commerce, the State Attorney General's office, the Surgeon General, Angie's list, Ask Annie, Car Talk........

After I got my car the heck off of that dealer's property.

19. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Wow so what's the plan?

20. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I would refuse to pay and ask for my car back. I would then have the car towed to another dealer.

You have already caught him in multiple lies.