1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Display Current MPG while driving?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by GaryHere, Aug 2, 2014.

1. GaryHere

GaryHere Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Traded in a C3 for a 2014 Prius Two Genlll yesterday and on the C there's a button on the display (which is way nicer/advanced than the 2014 Genlll display) called eco score and it shows the current estimate for your MPG.

Is there a way to see this on the Prius Two?

I saw things under the trip meters but it doesn't look like it changes as you drive along.

I just want to see how my driving habits affect the MPG like it did on the C display.

I looked at it occasionally and could see what driving habits increased or decreased it as I drove along.

Btw love this car over the C, kinda a huge difference all around.

We only had the C3 five days and it was also a 2014 and did lose $ but happier with this Prius.

#1 GaryHere, Aug 2, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2014
  2. Feri

Feri Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    You can watch 5 min or 2 min changes by pressing the Disp button (keep pressing in five min to get two min) or get a Scangauge or UltraGauge. Scangauge can be programmed for Prius specific data.

3. GaryHere

GaryHere Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks for the reply, will look for that today.

So on the A/B trip displays, it doesn't show MPG?

Also those gauges, do they have to be connected to wires etc? Not very technical here. Thanks.

4. GaryHere

GaryHere Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Wonder why they didn't put the way more nicer info screens into the Gen lll Prius and put them into the Cs.

It's like night and day.

However I didn't trade the C in and lose money to worry about displays. :D

5. Feri

Feri Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Trip display gives a graph style representation of consumption. The gauges connect though the OBDII adapter under the dash near the hood release. The 2010 gen III was released earlier than the C. I don't know what later incarnations of the gen III display show.

6. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    There is an instantaneous MPG meter to the right of the speed display as well as a "per tank" display. The per tank display doesn't change fast once you put some miles on as it's an average, but it does change. I don't think the per tank display is tied into the trip meter, but I could be wrong. As stated above, you also have the per time interval graphical readout. I see that on the GPS screen so I'm not familiar with the more basic models. As I recall, I can also select it on the dash display and so can you.

The "C" got a different display technology, more advanced than the hatchback, because it is a newer design. Toyota didn't include it in the 2012 update either, and apparently, it's still the older design. I would expect it in the G4, whenever that comes out.

7. GaryHere

GaryHere Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks David for the reply.

I'll look today for the tank display as well as the others.

8. GaryHere

GaryHere Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I looked at the Trip B after resetting it and driving and it gives the estimate of MPG as well as the 1/5 min screen however there is a discrepancy the the ending screen when the car is turned off. It displays for 30 secs but that MPG and the others mentioned are not in synch. The one at the ending says CONS I think but trip B showed 55.6 and CONS on the ending screen shows 62.3? Confused.

9. GaryHere

GaryHere Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Anyone??

Anyone know why theres a discrepancy from the Trip B MPG vs, the Ending Screen summary even if its the SAME miles driven? Which is correct?