1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

DIY Cabin Filter Replacement - Anyone do this?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by nemrut, Oct 7, 2009.

1. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I'll look tomorrow, as soon as I get a chance.

2. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I watched the video again and except for the filter itself, the glove box door removal is the same as a GenIII, one damper on the passenger side. If the damper is missing, the mounting is the same as on the door, and can be seen on the side of the door frame.

3. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Here's the mounting stud, in the center of the photo.
    [​IMG]

4. wheezyglider

wheezyglider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Fram's online catalog shows the CF10285 for the 2011 Prius, and does not offer any cabin air filters for the 2010 Prius. Is there a difference in filter design for 2011, or maybe this is an oversight by Fram?? :confused:

5. web1b

web1b Active Member

Thanks, but the picture is too small to see it.

6. web1b

web1b Active Member

I went to a Walmart super store and they had a device that tells you what model number cabin filter fits your car, but they didn't actually keep cabin filters on hand, only air and oil filters.
    I had to order online through Amazon.

7. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    A blind man could see it with a stick. It's the light color protuberance in the middle of the picture that looks like two pieces pointing to the left.

8. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
  9. web1b

web1b Active Member

I'll look at my car and compare it to the picture or just look around with a flashlight to see if I can tell where the damper goes or else try to find a diagram online. I still don't see the damper in that photo.

10. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    The damper is removed so you can see where it mounts.

11. web1b

web1b Active Member

I know where the front of the damper is supposed to release so you can remove the glove box door access the filter. If it didn't fall off, I could have reattached it to the door with no problem. What I don't know is where the other end of the damper connects when you need to replace a damper that completely fell off.

12. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Circled in red below.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

13. web1b

web1b Active Member

Is there a photo somewhere showing exactly how the damper is installed? The damper has three holes on it and it also expands in and out. I don't see how to actually connect it to that spot. I tried several different ways and none look right to me.

14. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    The damper is attached by the center hole to the circled stud in the photo. The piston of the damper is attached to the stud on the glove box door. The top hole of the damper isn't used.

15. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    After you attached the damper, were you able to close the glove box? If so, who cares how it looked? ;)

I recall somebody posting a pic--if you can't figure it out, try a search.

16. web1b

web1b Active Member

OK, thanks. That was one of the ways I already tried and I couldn't believe it would be supposed to sit that precariously in that position. It doesn't snap into anything. No wonder it was so easy to accidently knock it off onto the floor the first time i was reinstalling the glove box door.
    I pulled the damper to the extended position and tried it again and it works now.
    When the new filter arrives from UPS tomorrow it should be easy to install it now that I have gone though the dry run of removing and reinstalling the door.

17. wheezyglider

wheezyglider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks. Amazon's part finder (where you tell it what model car you have) is even more confusing: it shows no Fram cabin air filters fitting either the 2010 or 2011 Prius!

I'm sure Amazon is incorrect here since Fram's own catalog shows the 2011 compatible part which Amazon sells (the one you bought, obviously).

I already bought the Wix filter on Amazon for our 2010 a couple weeks ago -- but only because Fram supposedly wasn't compatible. That's why I'm obsessing here. I'll work on letting it go... :p

18. web1b

web1b Active Member

You can just put the Toyota part number 87139-07010 in the Amazon search and it will link you to compatible cabin filters.

19. vinnie97

vinnie97 Whatever Works

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow, sounds like it might have been worth the $57 to spare you the trouble, Web, lol. Oh well, now that you're past the learning curve, things should be smoother sailing. I'm not looking forward to fidgeting with it (bad elbows) when the time comes for mine to be changed (must be getting close at 1-1/2 years, though under 10k miles).

20. web1b

web1b Active Member

It will be worth it since this is something that is not going to be changed just one time. It will save hundreds of dollars in overpayments to the dealer if I keep the car several years.

It would have been much less of an ordeal if there were better photos or drawings in the owners manual or online showing how and where the damper connects and how it is positioned. I would have waited until daylight and taken a photo before I touched anything if I knew this would happen. The regular owners manual doesn't address replacing the damper since they assume that step would not be needed. It's probably in a service manual.
    Ideally, the damper should not be so easy to knock off of where it mounts and then it wouldn't have been an issue at all.
    Once you see how everything connects, it is super simple.