1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

DIY Cabin Filter Replacement - Anyone do this?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by nemrut, Oct 7, 2009.

1. revhigh

revhigh MPG Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

For an 08 .... but you get the idea ...

REV

2. rspriusiii

rspriusiii Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    NO.
    Gen II is a superior design

3. NutzAboutBolts

NutzAboutBolts Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Here's the Gen III Cabin air filter replacement

Kurt Davis likes this.
  4. abistro

abistro Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Am I missing something? What does the cabin filter have anything to do with how the car runs? I thought it is just for filtering the debris coming into the cabin, such as pollen, smoke, etc.

5. BruceInOKC

BruceInOKC Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No, you're not missing anything. They're probably thinking of the engine air filter, which can affect how the car runs.

The cabin filter helps humans and pets breathe easier in the passenger compartment, especially if they have allergies. If you notice the air coming out of your vents smells musty or like mildew, it's time to change it. In my Civic Hybrid, this happened every 10,000 miles. In my Prius, it happens every 30,000 miles. Your mileage may vary. You decide when it bothers you.

6. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    I've had 1st hand experience with a dirty/clogged cabin filter in a Toyota. It significantly reduces the air output from the vents, much worse cooling in hot weather and less heating in cold weather. If you have your air system running all the time, changing the filter at 15K is highly recommended. A clogged filter also loads the blower, resulting in increased power consumption, although how much this might effect anything other than blower life is an open question.
    When in doubt, change it. I tried to get 30K out of one and it was almost completely clogged. I do not drive in dusty places either.

BruceInOKC likes this.
  7. BruceInOKC

BruceInOKC Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Great observations. You offer some compelling reasons for changing it sooner rather than later.