1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

DIY: How to remove GenII Transmission

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Lam, Apr 18, 2013.

1. Lam

Lam Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This was originally put into this thread here... in different parts and scattered.
    Shorted MG? Codes pulled. May need transaxle. | Page 2 | PriusChat

I decided to put it all in one thread here for easy reading... and so I can reference this when I have to do it again.

Things you will need:

• Full set of sockets, rachets, and wrenches. The primary sizes you will need are 10mm, 12mm, 14mm, 17mm, 19mm, 22mm, 29mm (12 point specifically)
    • Breaker bar
    • Pry bar
    • Transmission jack
    • Floor jack
    • Jack stands
    • Engine hoist (optional)
    • BFH (Big f*cking hammer)
    • Lineman gloves
    • Body panel pry tool (optional but very helpful)
    • 4 qts of ATF WS from Toyota (NO SUBSTITUTES)
    • 1 gallon of pink inverter coolant from Toyota (NO SUBSTITUTES)
    • Screwdrivers (phillips and flathead)
    • Multimeter capable of reading >450VDC
    • Fluid catcher
    • Helper - The transmission is probably around 300 lbs (guesstimate)
    • Patience
    • Band-aids
    • Case of beer of your choice

Project Costs
    • Transmission: $250-$600 depending on where you buy it from (Mine was $500)
    • ATF WS x 4 @ $10/qt
    • Toyota Inverter coolant @ $22/gal
    • Axles seals x 2 @ $15 ea (Optional, strongly recommend)
    • Rear main seal (Optional, strongly recommend) @ $30
    • Assorted plastic rivets $5
    Procedure

1) Remove rear panel, spare tire cover, passenger side battery cover.

2) Pull negative battery cable from 12V acc battery using 10mm wrench
    [​IMG]

3) Wearing HV lineman gloves, remove safety plug from HV battery pack by pulling up on the handle of the plug until it snaps up, then swing counter-clockwise to pull plug out. Put in safe place.
    [​IMG]

4) Break wheel lugs loose using 21mm socket and a breaker bar. Or an impact wrench if you have one. By the way, Target(r) flip flops are the footwear of choice for working on vehicles.
    [​IMG]

5) Raise vehicle and place on jackstands.

6) Remove lugs from wheels, put wheels under car behind jackstands. THIS MAY SAVE YOUR LIFE.

7) Remove screws and bolts from front engine covers. Note the threads, the rough threaded ones are in the front and the machine threaded ones are toward the back. 11 bolts total, 10mm.
    [​IMG]

8) Remove front air dam, 8 bolts, 10mm.

9) Remove two quarter inch plastic rivets and plastic screw (10mm) from engine cover inside the driver side wheelwell.
    [​IMG]
    10) Remove the 1 plastic rivet connecting the driver's side engine cover to the passenger side engine cover. At this point the engine cover can be removed and set to the side.

11) Drain coolant from transmission by removing the 24 mm plug from the bottom of the transmission. Remove the cap from the coolant reservoir to speed up draining.

12) Drain the transmission fluid by removing the Size 10 hex plug
    [​IMG]

13) While the transmission drains, lift the hood and remove the two leftmost plastic rivets. They will probably break off. Don't worry Autozone stocks these in the HELP! section
    [​IMG]

14) Disconnect washer hose from the y-splitter under the hood lining.

15) Find a helper and remove the (4) 12mm bolts holding the hood on. Remove hood and set aside.

16) On to getting access to the inverter... Pop the cover off the driver's side windshield wiper with a small flatblade screwdriver, and unbolt the 14mm nut holding it down. Grab the arm and yank up and down to break it loose and remove the wiper. Put the nut back on the motor for safekeeping.
    [​IMG]

17) Remove the (2) 14mm nuts off the pass side wiper. Remove wiper, set aside, put nuts back on motor for safekeeping.
    [​IMG]

18) Pop a plastic rivet on the driver's side and the passenger's side of the upper cowl. More than likely these will also break and will need to be replaced. It should pull out with a few snaps there and there.

Pulling out the cowl
    [​IMG]

Cowl gone
    [​IMG]

19) Unbolt the 5 10mm bolts holding down the wiper motor assembly and remove.
    [​IMG]

20) Remove the (2) 10mm bolts holding the relay box to the lower cowl, unfasten the clips holding the cable ties down to the relay box from the back using needle nose pliers. Then, unbolt the (7) 10mm bolts holding down the lower cowl and remove.

Removing the cable ties from the backside
    [​IMG]

Lower cowl out... we now have access to the backside of the inverter.
    [​IMG]

21) Let's now get access to the front of the inverter by removing the radiator cover. The thing is cheaply held in with (6) screw type plastic rivets. If you are careful you can get these out without breaking them. To do this, pull up slightly on the cover itself while you unscrew and it should pop out. Remove radiator cover and set aside with the other pile of crap you have going on.
    [​IMG]

22) Next, remove the inverter cover. There are (12) 10mm bolts around the edges and (1) Torx T-30 bolt. An air rachet really helps get this done quickly. Pop the cover off and set to the side. After you pop the cover off... DON'T TOUCH ANYTHING INSIDE THE INVERTER WITHOUT TESTING FOR VOLTAGE FIRST. The inverter may still carry energy even after the safety plug is pulled!!!!
    [​IMG]

23) Now, let's test to see if the inverter still has potential to stop your heart. First, pull off the circuit breaker connector on the right side of the inverter by using a hook or small screwdriver to slide the sleeve of the connector up, then pop it off.
    [​IMG]

24) Then put a volt meter (in DC) across the 2 points shown in each of the pictures and you should see 0 VDC across each.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

25) Disconnect the three coolant hoses from the inverter
    [​IMG]

26) Remove the two electrical connectors and detach frame cables
    [​IMG]

27) Disconnect the AC wiring connector by first pulling up the green tab. Then press down on the button in the green tab and pull off. Unbolt the bracket holding the wiring harness while you are there.
    [​IMG]

28) Disconnect the three wiring harnesses inside the inverter.
    [​IMG]

29) Disconnect the three wiring harnesses on the backside of the inverter
    [​IMG]

30) Unbolt the front cables going out of the inverter to MG2. (3) 10mm inside the inverter, (2) 10mm outside. Pull down the cable to unsocket it.
    [​IMG]

31) Unbolt the rear cables going out of the inverter to MG1. As like the front one, (3) 10mm inside, (2) 10mm outside. Pull on cable to unsocket it.
    [​IMG]

32) Unbolt the (3) 12mm bolts holding down the inverter. Remove inverter and set aside CAREFULLY. I don't even want to know how much this thing is to replace. Also, it's seemingly heavy. You may be ok trying to solo it, you may not... i'd stay on the safe side and get help.
    [​IMG]

Inverter out of the car
    [​IMG]

33) So the manual calls for removing the airbox at this stage. This only applies if you plan on using a crane or engine hoist to suspend the engine while you remove the transmission. If you are ghetto and use a floor jack (like me) you can skip this step. However, if you do, it is very easy. Unscrew the breather clamp and throttle body clamp. Remove the two 10mm bolts in the upper right hand corner of the airbox. Unclip the TPS wire from the box and you can lift it out.

34) Next, unhooking the bajillion assorted wiring connectors and hoses. There is literally so much that I was not able to document it all without getting a little angry, so i'll put in what I did document, but there is more. Unhook, disconnect everything circled in orange. Note that the wiring is attached to brackets, you can simply just disconnect the clip off the bracket instead of unbolting the bracket itself. These clips you pull the tab outward and then pull off unlike connectors where you press in on the tab then pull off. The one that is the hardest to get to (no picture) is the connector on the very back of the transmission, its also easy to miss because it isn't in plain site.

Front driver's side
    [​IMG]

Toward the driver's side mount
    [​IMG]

Looking up under the car toward the engine
    [​IMG]

Above next to the engine
    [​IMG]

Under the transmission mount
    [​IMG]

35)Now, let's remove the axles. Starting with the driver's side, use a centerpunch to unstake the large 12pt axle nut (29 mm). Use an impact (if available) to knock the axle nut off. If an impact wrench is not available, you can use a pry bar to hold the lugs while you strong arm the axle nut. Leave the nut slightly on so you can hammer on it in after the next step.
    [​IMG]

36) remove the cotter pin out of the tie rod end and unbolt the 17mm castle nut. You probably won't be able to break it free from the knuckle just yet. Don't worry, we'll get to that in a second. Look underneath the ball joint and you will see two 17mm nuts and one 17mm bolt, unbolt those. You can use one of these regular nuts to hammer on the tie rod end to break it free safely. Take one of the 17mm nuts, and thread it down on the tie rod end a bit and smack it with a hammer, it should break free pretty easily. Pull the hub assembly off the lower control arm. Use a hammer to gently pound on the axle nut to pop the axle out of the hub.
    [​IMG]

Disconnect the lower control arm
    [​IMG]

Break the tie rod free from the hub assembly
    [​IMG]

37) Pry the axle out from the transmission. You can use a prybar to push right behind the CV boot on a little cutout of the axle, but NOT on the dustcover of the CV joint, it is relatively thin and you WILL bend it if you put any substantial force on it. These were relatively stubborn to get out and I needed to basically smack the pry bar about 10 times (hard) to pop the axle off.

38) Repeat process for passenger side.

39) Let's pull off the engine torsion mount under the engine. So crawl underneath the car and between the engine and transmission you will see a large bracket coming from the crossmember to where the engine bolts up to the transmission, we need to pull these bolts. Using a 19mm socket, unbolt the BOLT ends. You can't unbolt the nut ends because they have fixtures. Once both bolts are unbolted you slide them out.
    [​IMG]

40) Now lets go ahead and remove the crossmember. You can get a transmission out leaving this in, but good luck getting a transmission in. It takes about 20 minutes and is well worth the effort. Unbolt the (4) 17mm bolts holding the rack and pinion to the crossmember.

41) Unbolt the sway bar endlinks. I chose to unbolt them where it connects to the strut.

42) Unbolt the (4) 19mm bolts holding the crossmember onto the body. Two are toward the back on each side (circled), two are right above the control arm (not shown). This thing is heavy, so I would put a tranny jack underneath to support it while you are unbolting this thing. Get the thing out of the way, and let the rack and pinion dangle there.
    [​IMG]

Crossmember out
    [​IMG]

43) Continuing onto unfastening the transmission, unbolt the (4) 14mm bolts holding the transmission to the engine. Ignore the fact that the crossmember torsion support is still shown. I took the transmission out with the cross-member in. However, i strongly recommend taking the cross-member out first as it REALLY sucks to take out and is virtually impossible to put in without a mini-miracle.
    [​IMG]

44) Unbolt the starter cover bolts... for a starter that isn't there. (2) 14mm. Also, there is a bracket on the front of the engine that holds up some wiring that is attached with a 10mm bolt, remove this as it has a plastic piece that overlaps the transmission.
    [​IMG]

45) Support the engine with either an engine hoist or a floor jack. If supporting below with a floor jack, make sure you support it on the edge of the oil pan and not the middle. You only want to put on as much pressure as required to barely move the engine. Also put a transmission jack under the transmission and take the weight off. If you do not have a transmission jack, this job will be *very* hard to do without one. You can use a floor jack, but you will not be able to solo this job.

43) Go back topside and remove the transmission mount damper on the top side of the transmission near the driver's side. Two bolts diagonal from the spike at 2 o'clock and 7 o'clock (looking toward the rear), one bolt in the back left corner, 2 bolts topside on the right hand side into the body, and 2 bolts horizontally into the body between the transmission and the body.
    [​IMG]
    Also remove the nut off the transmission "spike". (2) 12mm + (1) 17 mm. Once you pull off the damper, go ahead and then remove the transmission mount "spike" itself. (3) 14mm.

44) Unbolt the two top 14mm bolts holding the transmission onto the engine. Using pry bars, pry the transmission from the engine. Best way to do this is get a few millimeters on the top pushed off, then go under and get a few millimeters pushed off. Alternate until the transmission clears the damper. You may need to lower the engine and transmission simutaneously to clear the transmission from the body. Don't go too far though, there is a lot of crap that is attached to the engine still. I only needed to lower it about 2 inches.

45) Lower the transmission, and its out!

Transmission out!
    [​IMG]

Installation is reverse of removal. The only procedure you would need is how to fill the transmission and inverter coolant. The transmission fill hole is on the front of (car front) the transmission and can be removed with a 24 mm socket. Mine took a little over 4 qts of ATF WS. To fill the inverter, you fill it up through the reservoir, massage the coolant hose coming from it to get some bubbles out. Top off, then take a vacuum hose and attach it to the bleeder nipple, and route the vacuum hose back to the top of the reservoir. Take a 10mm and crack the bleeder open. Keep topping off and massaging hoses above and below to get the air bubbles out. Once the car is operational, drive it around and top off, that should be the last of the bubbles.

Additional notes: I would throw in some new axle seals and a rear main seal while this thing is off. If you do choose to replace the rear main seal the torque specs for the flywheel are 36 ft-lbs+90 degrees (though good luck getting the last 90 degrees in), and the outer plate (sort of like a pressure plate) is 15 ft-lbs. Beware though, there is no alignment tool for that clutch that I was able to find (at least in my stash of ~15 assorted clutch alignment tools), I used a deep socket (size forgotten) to line it up the best I could while I tightened the bolts. Luckily, the transmission mounted with no problems. Also, I would throw in a new inverter coolant pump for peace of mind.

Tagwords: DIY Prius transaxle transmission replacement how-to fatasianusingmspaint

2. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Holy cow Lam!!!!! That is detailed and awesome. Woooowww!!!!! Thank you for this.

NortTexSalv04Prius likes this.
  3. Faisal

Faisal Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    how come i cannot see the pictures? theyre all broken?

4. SalixIncendium

SalixIncendium Tree Hugging Environmentalist Wacko

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
  5. Faisal

Faisal Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    yeah i see them now lol. sorry

6. Faisal

Faisal Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    i got codes P0100 ,P0110,P3100,P3125
    can anyone indicate what this means? does any of them indicate i need to replace transmission?(remember my inverter,airbox, and both front axles are already taken off.

7. mainerkatahdin

mainerkatahdin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Great picture by picture description. My wife and I just replaced our transaxle. We have never done anything like that before and it was not as bad as I thought it would be. Spent a bunch of time looking up vehicle parts descriptions. One mistake in the description is it requires a 30mm 12 point socket for the tires. Spent a lot of time looking for a 29mm and could not find one anywhere. Also, we did it without a transmission jack which makes it a 3 person job to do it easily. One person on the jack, one person on a homemade engine stand (2x4 across top of car in a H formation with a towing cable attached to the tranny to keep balanced) and a third person maneuvering it into place. It went in very easily! Thanks Lam. You saved us $4000-$5000!

SFO likes this.
  8. Mavi

Mavi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Utterly amazing how detailed this is. Thank you so much! Doing mine soon.

9. Frontporch

Frontporch Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Lam. Super post. I was able to use this and the toyota online workshop manual that I found posted. Google earch for "jaygroh prius manuals".

I thought I would add a few notes.

Transmission Price. I called around and got different quotes, but overall these transmissions are pretty cheap. That must mean the failure rate is pretty low. Sucks for someone reading this but it should make you feel better that you have a good chance with a used unit. My price was $250 for one from a local yard with 100K miles (2007) and a 1 year warranty

Transmission Weight. I think 300lbs is pretty accurate and I don't pick up heavy stuff. I was able to slide the transmission out of the back of my car onto a B&D workmate in my garage. From there I attached a beefy screw eye into my garage rafters and used a block and tackle setup from amazon ( about $15 ) to turn my 50 lbs of pull to 350lbs of upward lift. Rope on the B&T could have been thicker so it slipped through my hands easily. I wrapped it around the head of a hammer and held the handle. There might be a clever handle that allows you to reposition without unwrapping it. I also didn't think about standing on the cord to free both of my hands. I was able to use this setup to lift the transmission ( attached an inexpensive lashing (harbor freight $3) around the transmission and the b%t to that.) off the workmate and lower it onto the raised transmission jack.

Transmission Jack. Bought the one from harbor frieght show in the pictures. It was not easy to get it to keep from leaning if the weight was not evenly distributed. When I moved the new transmission into position I found that I needed to put shims under one side to make it the proper orientation so it could slide in. To do this I need to loosen the restraint. Was a little scary at times, but take it slow and be careful.

Axle nuts. The manual said to use a 30mm socket, but if I could have found a 29 that would have probably fit better. It seemed like there was a tendency for the socket to slip off the nut. it was pretty shallow. I was able to use a 1/2" ratchet and an extension that was braced from underneath by a jack stand. This way I could stand 4' away with a breaker bar and not have to worry about the socket falling off.

Removing Trans from Under Car. I had the trans on the jack but this was higher than the bumper. I compromised by removing the three bolts holding on the strut on the driver side and moved the strut/brake to the side. It rolled out nicely though the wheel well.

Aligning Engine and Trans. This was a chore. I need to shim between the transmission and jack. I also adjusted the engine height so the edge of the engine was parallel to the transmission. Finally. when you get the shaft to start, turn the flywheel on the engine with a wrench to get the splines to mate. Was a 22 or 24 mm wrench or socket. Should only need to turn slightly and it will engage.

Axle Seals. I suggest not thinking twice about replacing these. They were around $10 each from the dealer and the scrap yard pressed plugs into the transmission damaging the seals. Removal of the old seals was relatively easy. i used a small prybar/screwdriver and carefully grabbed under the seal and pried out one side. you don't want to scrape the bore of the hole in the transmission, so make sure your screwdriver head just grabs the seal.

Installing Axle Seals. This would have been much easier to install if there was a restriction on how deep you could drive the seal or if they wanted it flush with the transmission case. The repair manual says to drive them 2.7 mm +-.5mm below the surface of the case. Too deep and you loose all your fluid. Too shallow and I think you will have seal wear. My solution, since I don't have the specified Toyota tool, was to find/build an equivalent. I used an abs 1.5x3" plastic pipe conversion fitting. the 1.5" pipe outer diameter is just slightly larger than the raised portion of the exterior of the new seal and since it converts to 3" it has a wide base. To drive it 2.7mm below the surface I used some 14 gauge hosehold wire that came from some romex. It was 2.6mm in diameter with the plastic insulation left intact ( do not strip bare or use ground wire ). I used that to create a "washer" that I could put between the seal and the plastic fitting. Bare copper 10 gauge wire was about the same diameter. Driving the seal in was pretty foolproof that way. The tool cost about $2.

Common Mistake: I had the o-shit moment when it was all put together and nothing worked. I didn't do step three when I reconnected the hybrid battery service plug which is to push it down to lock after flipping the lever.

Good luck to all who attempt this.... and thanks again for taking the time to post all the instructions and pictures Lam.

10. Lam

Lam Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So its been a few years since I did this post and to give updates on things.

1.) I'm sorry the photo links are broken. Photobucket is a steaming pile of shit and now wants to charge for 3rd party hosting. They can eat a bag of dicks. I don't know how to attach photos to this post or even edit the original post but if I can, I will. Or I can give them to the admin and they can attach it or do 3rd party image hosting themselves.

2.) Me and the girl (who owned this car) broke up years back and I never really knew if it was reliable or not.

3.) I've done this twice over including a motor install on a car with a blown head gasket, it was hydrolocked due to flood.

4.) Also have done a battery rebuild that was successful. That car is now part of the 299,999 club and I sold it a few weeks ago to some 19 year old.

5.) I don't own any more prii, but I do have a 2006 Highlander Hybrid. There is literally zero forums, articles, and support for that vehicle, unlike here.

I'm glad to see people have used this

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sorry you broke up.:unsure:

edthefox5 likes this.
  12. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Love it but one thing is a god send is a 1/2 in impact gun. That's a bad nice person nut bolt removal tool. Tears it up super fast.

You can rent one for $15 a day get the 110volt one not battery powered and hold on lol.

13. tstab

tstab Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey Lam, this breakdown is epic... Bought a 2008 Prius 2.5 months ago and just got the infamous P0AA6, 526, 613 codes. I'm still troubleshooting to confirm that I'm in deep trouble but I was wondering if there was a way for me to get those photos from you... I'm anticipating doing this swap soon. Luckily I'm seeing some transaxles for like 150 bucks these days. If you can track the images down maybe you could throw them on a Google drive?

14. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    They could set up a media album here and post a link. That is what a different photo-heavy thread did.

15. tstab

tstab Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That would be awesome

16. gregT

gregT Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    lam, did you by chance find the pictures?

17. tstab

tstab Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm deep into the swap and have shot some photos... planning on adding them to the write up im using... i'll be sure to post down the road when im done

SFO, fotomoto and Raytheeagle like this.
  18. veegish

veegish Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    @Lam , you are my hero! Thanks to you I have a working Prius again! What an amazing tutorial, it was invaluable! It made a most intimidating car project much less intimidating.

I echo @Frontporch and his admonition to push that lever down on the battery! I panicked for a moment or two until I figured it out!

NortTexSalv04Prius likes this.
  19. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    ..and the Highlander is super reliable in terms of battery, and other HV components.

20. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    What program did you use to label and name the parts/various stages of the job?
    I really liked the way the pictures were labelled.
    Want to do same also.
    Thanks