1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

DIY JDM style side mirrors combo lights (Signal+Parking+Courtesy lights)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by CivicSky, Feb 23, 2011.

1. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Very nice!
    These won't fit on 2009, would they?

2. shawnb2

shawnb2 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Afraid not. Sorry. I know there are at least factory JDM signal mirrors available for your car. But as far as I know this style isn't available.

3. ePrius

ePrius Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Great DIY writeup!

4. blake918

blake918 Blizzard Brigade #23

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for the install pics. They will really help when I finally take the time to install my signal mirrors (just the plain ole JDM ones).

Are your signal lights not the same as these signals on Sigma ($225 for the clear)?
    [​IMG]

5. CivicSky

CivicSky Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That's exactly the one I've got! How come I didn't see those on Sigma back then?! I got my set professionally painted for total of US$185 vs $225 from Sigma (non-painted?). But it is good to know that Sigma carries those! So people! We don't need any group buy, do we?

6. 2011v

2011v Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The Sigma unit doesnt include the welcome light functionality. However the Sigma covers are compatible with the led light units which include the "welcome" (ambiant) lighting. Hopefully this makes sense.

7. 2011v

2011v Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    See below link for functionality of led light for clarity.

Dylan Doxey and eunique like this.
  8. a1rjumpman23

a1rjumpman23 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Im totally down to buy one in a group. Hit me up in pm

9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's similar to the FJ Cruiser's "Image Lamps" except they appear tobe LED instead of halogens. Pretty cool. The puddle lamps are nice but how much of the ground do they illuminate? It seems like most of the door is illuminated instead.

10. shawnb2

shawnb2 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Yeah, we definitely need a group buy on these things and after seeing Bino's (AKA Alvin) tail lights today at the So. Cal Meet we gotta work something out for those too. Anything to get the price down on those babies. Keep us up to date please.

11. CivicSky

CivicSky Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'd like to gather some suggestions from someone as a customer of this signal light event:
    1) The seller would prefer using the more expensive express mail (~US$20) to minimize damage and delay to the package. (took me 30 days to arrive by regular air delivery).
    2) Instead of sending all the lights to a centralized station, e.g. my house, I ask if he can send the set to each individual.
    3) Exchange rate can be tricky in this group buy. The rate has been floating around between HK$ 7.70 ~ 7.79 per US dollar. International money transfer fee is $45 by Chase. That would be added to the final cost and shared equally. More people in this group buy will drive down this transfer fee. <--- Btw, I hate Chase!
    4) You can choose not to use his shop to paint the mirror covers. For those who wants only the lights, skipping the paint will save you about US$65.
    5) With all the costs add up, we maybe looking at around US$200 per set (with S&H & paint)
    6) What would be the payment method for this group buy? PayPal (non credit or debit cards)

The seller hasn't replied my question regarding the shipping method at this point because it is Sunday on the other side of the earth.

12. tihsad

tihsad Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i want them....

13. 2011v

2011v Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    -Id suggest you break it up into two or three smaller shipments, say for instance a west and east cost drop and distribute from there.
    -Id agree with express mail.
    -How much time would paint add to the lead time?
    -My guess is you would probably get 10 firm orders with more to come after the buy was over.
    - Pay pal works for me
    -135 or 200 count me in for a set

In reality it may be easier and more efficient to simply do the lighting as we can get the covers here from a number of suppliers.

TIA

14. shawnb2

shawnb2 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I like 2011V's idea. Especially as I already have the covers and am just looking for the lights themselves. I can do Paypal as well. Would probably be the best and safest solution.

15. deltron3030

deltron3030 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm in for a group buy as well!

16. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Nice!! I would love a set.

So, if the puddle lamp connected to the dome light, does it mean it's on whenever the dome light is on? (e.g. if someone in the backseat decides to turn the dome light on to read something, do the puddle lamps go on as well?)

17. CivicSky

CivicSky Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Answers:
    1) the seller is located in Hong Kong. Not in the US.
    2) If the seller is willing to ship individually to everyone, we could save extra time and money on re-distribution. I believe Post office will do their part for East coast (trans-Atlantic route) and West coast (trans-Pacific route).
    3) Painting will take 5-6 work days depends on the number of orders and majority color to be painted.
    4) Can we easily get the covers here?
    Left: after market cover / Right: OEM cover for US version Prius.
    [​IMG]

5) The seller doesn't take Paypal. I do. I collect everyone's money in my PayPal account and then wire transfer the total to my relative in Hong Kong. To lower the risk, she helps me pay 1/3 to the guy and the rest of it after the lights are sent. This way, we don't have to worry about our money. Otherwise, if anything gone wrong, I would hold full responsibility for losing everyone's money and I do NOT want it to happen. Dealing with seller in other countries can be difficult sometimes.

6) I will ask if it is ok to buy just the lights without the covers. Everything comes in a package and I am not sure and I don't know if it would change much on the price. Actually, if you take the covers, you could sell your older lights with the non-painted covers to someone else as a full set. Why not?

7) Now, I am just waiting for the seller about his shipping method whether it is possible to be sent individually.

18. CivicSky

CivicSky Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi Tideland,
    My answer is "Yes!" because I could not find the wires that control on/off the dome light. So I hard wire the dome light all the way to those 2 "puddle" lights underneath the mirrors. However, you do have an options to choose how those lights to be functioned, i.e. connect them to your existing courtesy lights on your front doors. I would be happy to know the dome light wiring under the dash, so that I can take the extra wires out inside the ceiling.

19. peterjmc

peterjmc Ping pong in Ding Dang...

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Sweet! I hope we can make this GB happen! I would take mine unpainted :)

20. CivicSky

CivicSky Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Summary of the current shopping list:
    Name:
    2011V (
    Color?)
    a1rjumpman23 (
    Color?)
    adamjay
    (Color?)
    Cloud (Color?)
    DAFTEK {(3R3) US Barcelone Red metallic}
    Deltron3030
    (Color?)
    jordanr (Color?)
    Nuckz23 (Color?)
    Peterjmc (unpainted)
    SFguy2009
    (Color?)
    Shawnb2 (unpainted)
    Tideland Prius
    (Color?)
    wyun (Color?)

We are having 13 members interested in getting the lights so far. I also hope to get this group buy thing going.

1 person likes this.