1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

DIY video input backup cam.. anyone want to try

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Flying White Dutchman, Sep 24, 2008.

1. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    look at the picture
    the back MFD on the right you have the composite video input on a 3 pin connector this is from a coastal tech installation video input lockpick.

i wonder if you can put a composite signal on there and the MFD detect the presence off this video signal and give the backup camera signal when in reverse or show the DVD input option when switching between mode´s

problem is i tried to open up the dash but unsuccessful

Attached Files:

2. Flying White Dutchman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    OK
    i got the dashboard apart
    put e video signal on those pins and nothing:mad:

next try tomorrow

3. jelloslug

jelloslug It buffed right out!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The coastal device tell the Prius that there is a DVD player attached. That's what activates the Video input.

4. Flying White Dutchman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    when you look at the camera lockpick you see that on the right ( looking at back off MFD ) there is a composite/analog video input.

This is for the backup camera

Reverse video

here you can see someone with a newer prius 2006+ making that input working with out going to reverse and so you can use it for videoplayback while driving!

5. jelloslug

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius

That's not exactly the same thing. The lockpick tells the Prius computer that there is a DVD player attached and then you have a dedicated DVD audio and video input. You access it with the MODE button. The back up camera hack just let you access the reverse circuit going to the MFD with a switch. The differences are:

With the reverse hack you only get a video input, the audio is whatever the radio is set to.
    With the reverse hack you still have the red warning overlay on the screen.
    With the Lockpick you get a dedicated audio and video input that is separate from the rest of the audio system. You still have the AUX input available.

6. Flying White Dutchman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    there is also a camera lockpick for a backup camera!
    this is not the ultimate lockpick with audio en video but only with a video cinch plug thats activated when going in to reverse.
    and i only want the video no audio because thats going with a tape to jack plug adapter inside the tape deck player.

7. jelloslug

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I believe that is made specifically for cars without the backup cam. I'm not 100% sure how that one works because it's designed for the low res screens. The reverse backup hack is for the high res screens. Regardless of how it works you can use the video input for whatever you want.

8. sulavaca

sulavaca New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have just installed the Ultimate Lockpick 3 into my 2006 Prius and it works almost seamlessly, but for one fussy thing which I am trying to change. I require some advice if there is any to be had.

The reverse camera operates through the DVD input, but this means that every time you wish to select reverse view through the screen, then you must first turn on the stereo, then hit mode twice to get to the DVD screen, then from the left screen "Audio" button, you must tap it twice to finally get to the reverse view.

Is there any other less fussy way which is confusing to say the least, to get to the reverse view more directly?

Ultimately, it would be great if the reverse feed could somehow force the system to select the appropriate function to turn on automatically.

I'm really stuck on this one as it was the original reason for fitting this kit, and now it seems too troublesome. I have no idea how to get the wife to understand how to use it. Its even trouble for me, and I'm very technical (auto technician).

I know its not wise to go probing the feeds with the screen on as I could do some harm, so I'm pleading with anyone who might have this information at hand.

Thank you in advance.

9. Prius_Fan

Prius_Fan New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello,
    I also got ultimate lockpick camera from coastaltech, but it doesn/t work...the configuration seems to be suitable for 2006+ prius, while I have a 2004...
    If your lockpick work fine on 2004-2005, I kindly ask you to post some pictures of your lockpick, because the connections are diferent. Please PM me with some details....please
    P.S.
    this lockpick seems to be my worst shopping ever, not working and no support from coastaltech, all this for 213 USD:mad::mad::mad:

P.S.
    I just have found a small IC fried inside of the lockpick. Anyone can open his camera lockpick and tell me what kind of IC is this, in the picture? The Coastal didn't provide tech support - beware buying from them!

Attached Files: