1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Do I have a battery problem?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by jkosak, Apr 2, 2013.

1. jkosak

jkosak Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My 2007 Prius and I celebrated our 6th anniversary this past weekend. Just shy of 60,000 miles. Most of that was simple weekday commuting, evenly divided between highway and city. Lifetime average of 44mpg.

My concern: The hybrid battery, or the monitor really, has never, ever, not once, shown an all-bars charge. It is almost always at one bar down, and will drop below that but never goes above. My brother has a Gen I and his battery shows all bars from time to time. Not mine.

I am about to take the car in to the dealer for recall work, and would like to know if I have a problem before they tell me I don't (I never trust their opinion on warranty work!).

Joyce

2. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Me too. I have never seen 8 bars green but I have an excuse...I'm a flatlander. Usually the only way you can get into 8 full bars green is to go down a long hill. My car has never seen a hill.
    Never heard the Hybrid battery fan come on either. Which is a very good thing as well as the hyper charge of the battery to all green which is not that good either as it creates heat and heat is the enemy of the Hybrid battery pack. Makes the battery modules swell and distend.

You car is normal.

3. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Among flatlanders, he should be concerned, not you.

If he is not a flatlander, then even he may not yet have anything to be concerned about.

4. boppo

boppo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I will get all green 9 bars going down the big hill in Watkins Glen NY.

5. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
  6. jkosak

jkosak Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the replies, everyone. Maybe some day I will go find a long hill, just to find out if Big Foot/the last green bar actaully exists!

7. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Since you are not using the battery much, it will last forever.