1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Do I really need to replace the pump?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by PDWadler, Jul 2, 2014.

1. PDWadler

PDWadler Prius (and Cubs) fanatic

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    This forum has been a godsend. I haven't posted much, but I have learned a lot about my Prius reading these forums and you Prii Genii have saved me a lot of money and a lot of aggravation.

Here's my problem: The Check Engine Light came on today on my Gen 2 Prius (bought new 7/2006). I took it to the dealer who tells me that because the driver's side front fender lining is gone (it came off a couple of years ago), now my pump needs to be replaced (about $750.00). Any advice? Is it worth putting in almost $1000 (when all is said and done) for a 8 year old Prius with 101K miles? Does it really cost >$750 to replace a water pump? Am I getting ripped off? All advice appreciated!

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This should not be the water pump for $750 but rather the coolant control valve. I don't think the fender lining had anything to do with what you are experiencing.

3. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If the problem involves the coolant tank recirculation pump (CHRS), then it will not really create any driveability issues. It just means that the engine will not reheat as quickly after being shut down, but the penalty in mpg is small. If you want to ignore it for a while and figure out a better repair situation, you can do so. It is not something that requires a dealership to repair, and instructions should be here on this site if you search. Also, make sure the coolant levels are topped off, or even replaced at that mileage. Some have gotten things to loosen up again by adding some form of coolant system additive.