1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Do the more recent Prius models get much better MPG than the 2001?

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by ragnarkar, Sep 6, 2011.

1. ragnarkar

ragnarkar Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My GF's has a 2001 prius and it regularly gets over 50 mpg even though it's rated about 42 mpg.. maybe it's related to her driving style. With everything else constant, could I expect substantially higher MPG in, say, a 2010 or 2011 Prius even though its EPA rating is only 50 mpg?

In other words, 50 vs 42 mpg, that's a 20% increase.. would it be reasonable to expect a real-world MPG of 60 on a Prius rated at 50 mpg?

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    If she is driving her normal commute, yes. :D

I know the Gen 3 was better above 60 MPH and better below 60 MPH than the Gen 2, but no real improvement if you only drove 60 MPH.

3. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    That revised EPA estimate is way off and not a good basis for comparison.

I owned a 2001 and certainly didn't see that as an average. Here's my post-breakin (year 2) data...

[​IMG]

And year 2 for my 2004...

[​IMG]

And year 2 for my 2010...

[​IMG]

Nope. See above.

4. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    if your g/f is driving a genI... and getting that good of gas mileage then she would get better mileage with a genII or genIII

the question is... value... if her current prius is dying (hypothetical) then it's cheaper to get a used genII that will still get better mpg for only 10 grand or so.. then to buy a brand new genIII and pay all that extra. (if i was trading up/in and didn't have a genII currently that's what i would do... since it would have saved me over 20 grand since i financed)

5. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    if your g/f is driving a genI... and getting that good of gas mileage then she would get better mileage with a genII or genIII

the question is... value... if her current prius is dying (hypothetical) then it's cheaper to get a used genII that will still get better mpg for only 10 grand or so.. then to buy a brand new genIII and pay all that extra. (if i was trading up/in and didn't have a genII currently that's what i would do... since it would have saved me over 20 grand since i financed)

6. car compulsive

car compulsive Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    One data point for you. I just filled my 2011 Two for the first time since the dealer filled it with 3 miles on the odometer. Over the first 377 miles of 80% freeway driving, I averaged 50.1 MPG calculated on fuelly and on the onboard display. I didn't baby the car, driving mainly open roads with the cruise control set at 71 or 72 MPH and the AC set at 69 on some fairly warm days.

7. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    G2 is about 110% of G1 MPG on average.

G3 compared to G2 is more complicated. About the same or a few percent less than G2 with gentle, slow driving, easily 5% better than G2 at speeds over 65 mph. There are reasons to think the G3 will also better a G2 in cold winter and short trip driving, but I do not know if this has been the actual case.

8. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    It depends on what you consider "significant". She'll do "better" in a bigger, more refined car but IMO not significantly. FE is much like that 1/2 glass of water. Some owners would be thrilled with the "low" numbers posted by others.

9. JimN

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I keep a spreadsheet. The Gen3 is a hard luck car. It debuts in a downward economy, suffers bad press (editorial comment deleted), colder winters & supply disruptions. In a more hostile environment my 2010 has achieved higher FE than the 2006 over comparable months. Tank to tank it is more consistant & easier to get the number (whether considered "good" or "bad") than the Gen2. Over roughly the same number of miles the Gen2 had 12 tanks over 60mpg & 1 tank over 70mpg. The Gen3 has 1 60mpg tank.

10. JimN

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    duplicate post deleted--some threads just hang for me.