1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Do you change your own oil?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by jry423, Apr 26, 2015.

?
  1. Yes, I do it myself. I know it's done right

79.3%
  2. No, I let the dealer do it

20.7%
  3. $9.99 oil change? Including a filter? Count me in!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. jry423

jry423 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    i am usually one to do my own routine maintenance. If I change my oil, I know it's done, and I can keep an eye on things. I work at a (non Toyota) new car dealership, so I can get it on a lift anytime for it.
    I'm kinda unsure now, since Toyota has 2 years included maintenance. Should I go with that, or just continue to do it myself? I'm an every 3-4k guy. I know it's not necessary, but I don't drive much so it's about twice a year. Maybe 3 times.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i have the local gas station mech do it, how should i vote? i had the dealer do the first two free changes. they overfilled both times, and i had to drain it out. i only drive 9-10,000 miles a year, and only 3,000 with the engine, so i just change it every spring. i'm thing of going to every other year.

3. DoubleDAZ

DoubleDAZ Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I let the dealer do it only because I can no longer lay down and look up like that without getting dizzy.

bisco likes this.
  4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'm doing my own own oil changes, maybe 9 so far. Just floor jack and safety stands. Also have done a couple of transaxle fluid changes, and a brake inspection. Do all the tire rotations too, well swapping between all seasons and snows.

I'm not averse to dealership service department though: I respect there's some jobs best left to them.

In Canada there's no free services, makes the decision easier.

5. DoubleDAZ

DoubleDAZ Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    A lot of owners don't trust the dealer because they've had or heard of instances where the dealer overfilled, tried to upsell parts (like air cleaners) that may or may not be needed, charge too much after the free services are over, etc. My dealer hasn't overfilled, hasn't tried to upsell and has been really easy to deal with, even offers a free wash if I want it, so I'm happy to let them service ours.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you are very fortunate. how much do they get? i just paid $75.

7. jry423

jry423 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That's probably part of it. I took my Prius to a local dealer to have the sunglasses holder replaced. It was stuck and wouldn't open. They tried to charge me for a replacement. This was on a car that was obviously broken and had 256 miles on it. Didn't take much to get them to warranty the part, but the. Fact that I even had to say anything made me leery about going there for paid service.

8. DoubleDAZ

DoubleDAZ Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If you're asking me, I have no idea since I got 4 years of scheduled maintenance thrown in with my deal. I'll be taking it in Thursday to get it all set for our trip on Saturday, so I'll try to remember to ask them what it would cost.

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    wow, that's excellent.

10. DoubleDAZ

DoubleDAZ Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Kind of, but 2 years is Toyota and the other 2 is my local dealer, which could be problematic given our travels. :) Either way though I'm saving so much on fuel that I don't care if it costs me more to have the dealer do it as long as they remain honest.

11. AzWxGuy

AzWxGuy Weather Guy

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    The two oil changes since I've purchased the car have been done at the dealer. I eventually plan to acquire the filter cartridge wrench and a floor jack to do it myself. This last oil change it was slightly overfilled, like an eighth of an inch above the top dimple. I'm hoping the Gen III isn't as fussy about overfilling as the Gen II was.

12. GrGramps

GrGramps Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    I've changed oil myself for more than 60 years, but that's because I'm so old. My father had an auto repair shop when I was born so I suppose it was only the natural thing to do. My truck is ready for a change and today's weather forecast is good. It would be interesting to know how many times I have done this but I haven't kept count.

WE0H and Mendel Leisk like this.
  13. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That's very minor. Any of these spec's have a fudge factor.

14. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I know of few places I'd trust with any of my vehicles and something as simple as an oil change just doesn't make sense to pay someone to do unless you REALLY don't have time to spare to do it yourself.

I say this over and over again...a trustworthy mechanic is worth his weight in gold.

15. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    ^ Some people have the time and competence, but don't have a garage with a concrete slab. Apartment dwellers for example. We're empty nesters, but that's one reason I'd hate to give up the house.

16. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Do you change your own oil?

Always.

If you work for a Dealership then you already know why Toyota offers this "free" service.

For me it comes down to about $50 worth of filters and oil and at least four hours of my time, plus the very real possibility that somebody will make a mistake....."forget" to change the oil filter.....leave the oil cap off....overfill the car.....etc.
    Even at my humble salary, two oil changes and some tire rotations are not worth having to drink free dealership coffee for four hours.

No thanks.

OK...
    So let's take my bias against the dealership out of the picture.
    It's simply more convenient for me to change it myself every 5,000 miles and to keep tabs on all of the other items in the maintenance schedule.
    I may not do everything perfectly, but I'll be perfectly honest with myself about what was done and not done.

If you can't do maintenance?
    You have to trust somebody.
    I get that, but I personally DO NOT TRUST dealership maintenance departments.

Period.

In my never to be humbled opinion you're better off establishing and maintaining a relationship with a trusted independent mechanic if you plan on keeping the car long term - and if not, who cares?
    Yeah....do the so-called-"free" thing while it lasts and after that just take it to a Jiffy Lube and say "NO!" when they ask about additional maintenance.

YMMV

17. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Had the dealer do the first two at 10 and 20k included with cost of car. Had the dealer do the next 3 between $50 and $80 each with coupon. Did number 6 myself at 60k because I could not find a coupon. I am too cheap to let the dealer do the job for $100 regular price when material cost is $35.

The job is noticeably more difficult on a Prius than on previous vehicles I changed when I was a poor teenager. The plastic flap and filter cartridge were a challenge. Make sure you have jack stands tall enough for the plastic flap to clear and a robust filter wrench. And don't forget the little metal clip on the filter cartridge before you close up the plastic flap!

18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    condo with garage.:)

19. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    A communal garage with a few rentable, secure storage cages (for tools) would maybe be good feature for some condos.

20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    or even a public garage you could rent by the hour, with a lift!