1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Do you hear rattling noises?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by CivicQc, Oct 25, 2009.

?
  1. Yes, and they bother me

229 vote(s)
    72.7%
  2. Yes, but they don't bother me

26 vote(s)
    8.3%
  3. No

60 vote(s)
    19.0%
  1. iyedo

iyedo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have a rattle in the passenger door or in the dash near the glove compartment after only 120 miles on the OD.

I have not taken it in yet. I had the same problem on my 07 Prius a year after purchase. The mechanic put some buffing insulation under the dash without taking out the dash. I did not want to risk more problems that might occur by disassembling it. The mechanic agreed.

I will take it in but be cautious.

2. KreeH

KreeH Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    This is similar to my car except it rattles even at moderate temps. If I apply pressure to the underside of the console, directly below the shifter, where the two sides of the plastic enclosure meet, I can get it to go away.

This rattle was not obvious when we first bought the car, but has grown louder over time. Driving over uneven pavement, really brings out the problem. It is pretty loud, even to my passengers which are surprised by it. This really indicates either poor quality or design (or both).

It would seem that using rubber or silicone washers, even caulk, might solve this problem.

If you have any luck with your dealer's solution, please share!!

Thanks!

3. Azimuth

Azimuth Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    For people experiencing rattles coming from the passenger side dash near the triangular side window:
    After 3 months messing around; Having passengers try to track down an extremely nasty vibrating noise at 1600 RPM, I finally discovered it was the speaker cover at the top of the dash. I confirmed this with a piece of card-stock in between the dash and the speaker grille on the center most side. the rattle has completely disappeared. you may have a similar problem.

1 person likes this.
  4. OhioPriusIII

OhioPriusIII Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Oh I hope this cures my problem! I have had the vibration noise at a certain RPM for 4 months. Noticed it 1st in cold weather, hoped it would ease up in warmer weather but it hasn't. Very annoying and embarrassing with passengers. Thanks for the tip.

5. MikeDS

MikeDS Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    How does that speaker cover come off? Mine makes noise too...

6. Azimuth

Azimuth Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I did not remove the cover. I just wedged something in between the dash and cover.

I believe removing the cover requires taking off the A pillar. -I may be wrong though.

7. meerian

meerian New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I was literally going to buy a new Prius II when I found this website and started reading all these problems with rattles. I know Toyota is known for their quality in the past. Most of these issues still seam unresolved so I'm putting off buying.

8. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Can't say as I blame you. One of the bad things is that Toyota simply won't admit there is a problem, most people who call with rough start problems, rattle problems, and some other fairly common issues are routinely told "we have never heard of that before". Some on here have gotten help from a dealer but most have not, dealer service departments just don't like to look for rattles.

I understand at most dealerships the mechanics (technicians) work on a flat rate schedule, so many hours for a job. One of the problems is that there is no job called "looking for rattles" and the mechanics naturally want to do jobs that pay the most hours for the least work.

Despite all the groveling and apologizing by Toyota executives I haven't seen any improvements in customer service.

9. hsiaolc

hsiaolc New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    All Talk no action. It is fine really because as more people buys prius the more people will regret buying it and the words will travel like with other badly make cars manufactures such as GM.
    I will bare Toyota for 7-10 years time and I won't ever buy a Toyota in the future. Not only that I have giving a lot of advice to poeple not to get a Toyota. Words travel fast. Its their loss in the end.

10. Superdrol

Superdrol Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Im glad I checked this thread. I've also been having that noise by the speaker in the front passenger area. I'll have to try wedging something there.

11. hsiaolc

hsiaolc New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What did you use as wedge?

12. irvinemom12

irvinemom12 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes. They're not constant but frequent enough on rough surfaces that they really bother me. They come from a rear window or rear door -- it's hard to tell. It feels as if the windows might be loose because when they're fogged up, opening and closing does nothing. How annoying on a new car!

13. Dark_matter_doesn't

Dark_matter_doesn't Prius Tinkerer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I cured one of the rattles based on comments either in this thread or elsewhere. The rattle seemed to come from the passenger side glovebox or door. When I cleaned the cabin air filter, which requires partially disassembling the lower glovebox door, I found that there's a damper on the right end of the glovebox door that fits loosely on two pegs. Putting plumber's grease on the mount pegs really reduced or eliminated the rattle. Some shim washers would work better.

Now for the sheet-metal-like rattle coming from the back area . . .

14. New_Yorker

New_Yorker New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The reason most people are not complaining is that the noise, while very noticable and very annoying, is intermittent. I am trying to figure out what may trigger it. It seems to come from the AC vents on the dash or behind them somewhere. If I can cause the noise by my actions, I'll eventually figgure it out. It reminds me of what I used to hear in the cold weather when the old speedometer cables would start to sound off. Since the speed is now electronically monitored, i suspect the Prius has no such cables.

When the noise is present it is unmistakable, but then, and for most of the time, it goes away completely. A really odd occurrence, hopefully somebody will figgure it out. I will certainly try.:confused:

15. New_Yorker

New_Yorker New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    . . . . . .Or bring the wife along, once she gets going she could drown out a Heavy Metal Band. :D

16. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    It's hard to locate, I've been looking on and off for several months now but I won't give up. I really like my car but this dashboard rattle is quite annoying at times. I hope if anyone finds it or even gets any clues they post what they have found. The only thing I have so far is a list of things it isn't.

17. hsiaolc

hsiaolc New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well there is a certain one that I've found. The only in the centre console. The Park Button.

Another one now that is extremely clear is the passenger side air vent. It is rattling so much it is as loud as the radio and it is getting really bad. Going to get that fixed this weekend.

Thats the two that I can really confirm.

And don't put any sunglasses in the sunglass holder, because that too also causes rattling (amazed by the lack of attention from Toyota, just being lazy infract and cheap)

Now my Arm rest although not rattling but when I rest my arm on it now it makes creek and crak noise like you go into a hunted house and open those really old doors. Very annoying.

Actually really embrassing when I have guests in my passenger seats.

18. T's Prius

T's Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yes. I only have 1500 miles on my new 2010 and have terrible rattling noises coming from the passenger's side.

19. jdk2

jdk2 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    We must be married to twins :p

20. Solarman44

Solarman44 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Today I FINALLY fixed the rattle I had in my glove box area. I took the lower box out and put small pieces of weather stripping between the latch and the box base. These are the two black latches that hold the box shut and move to open the box. Having these pieces just touching the latches make them not rattle. I also put small pieces in each of the four bottom open holders. These are the four pieces that the box pivots on. I also took a piece of (packing) foam about 2x1 inch by one inch thick and wedged it between the piston on the right side and the glove box side. Doing all of these took the rattle away and I now have a nice quite 2010 Prius.

Once you have the glove box out check the black piece of plastic on the very bottom that they use to cover the wires and stuff from being seen or kicked from the passengers feet. I stuffed pieces of the trusty packing foam in the gap areas of that to make sure that it did not add to the rattles.

Rule of thumb when looking for rattles is to see where there is any two objects that might touch and cause a rattle. Tapping on the areas help identify the noise you here when driving. I hope this helps.