1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Do you think Toyota may offer the Prius C with a stick?

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by jrlnc, Apr 1, 2012.

1. jrlnc

jrlnc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    One of my friends who is usually a Honda fan like me has told me he is looking for a new car in the next year. Today he started talking enthusiastically about the Prius C. He has ridden in my regular Prius several times and made positive comments.

He mentioned the gas mileage 53mpg and I didn't want to spoil it by saying that it was an automatic. (CVT) Knowing his commute and activities I think the car would really suit him.

What do you think the chances are for Toyota to make a manual transmission for the C? Ive gotten over having a stick but I think he still enjoys having one.

2. xpcman

xpcman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    ZERO

Read more about the drivetrain and you will see that the CVT operation is integral to the whole hybrid operation.

Honda already did that they call it a CRZ.

irrational likes this.
  3. stevemcelroy

stevemcelroy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Sorry but I think there is no chance. The CVT is at the heart of the Toyota hybrid system.

4. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yep. OP should look at Toyota Prius - Power Split Device and read Graham's Toyota Prius, specifically Understanding the Prius to understand the power split device.

5. jrlnc

jrlnc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sorry if I offended anyone. I'm just asking a simple question.

Knowing my friend's car interests/needs I wondered if it is possible.

Some Hondas (even hybrids) put paddle shifters on their cars. It can provide some satisfaction for people who feel a need to control shifting.

Could Toyota offer paddle shifters on their hybrids? Maybe not as a profitable feature but is it technically possible? Sometime I use the POWER button as a form of downshift when I need passing power.

6. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yes, absolutely. And, they could come up with simulated shift points too. Some other cars w/conventional automatics and belt/cone style CVTs have this.

It's just that a manual is basically impossible w/Toyota's power split device and would make no sense.

Honda hybrids w/manual transmissions are possible since their IMA system uses a single motor/generator sandwiched between the engine and transmission and is NOTHING like Hybrid Synergy Drive.

7. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Paddle-shifters on a Toyota hybrid will only be found on the Japanese CT200h F sport.

8. RichardAK

RichardAK Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Don't sweat it. That's the way some answer questions. No one should be offended by the questions or the answers. Same on just about any online forum.

minkus likes this.
  9. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    They could throw in a walking stick for the Senior drivers!
    Paddle shifters on a Prius, it really is April FOOLS Day!
    That would just give Jeremy Clarkson something else to whine about on Top Gear.
    So when does the new season of TG start anyway. JC may be pompous, but I love the show. The American Version is like a stripped down F1, It may have the same name, it just goes nowhere for me!

10. jrlnc

jrlnc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I cant stand him! I think he says that stuff for pure "entertainment" value -- a shock jock if you will. No credibility in my book.

Back on topic -- this was a serious inquiry.

11. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Seriously then, NO. You are never going to out think the CVT & computer that was designed to optimize the MPG of the car....

12. ewaboy

ewaboy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I could use one...:);)

13. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    If some of the people here are offended by your question that it's them who should be apologizing, not you.

Like they said, the CVT is the key.
    Paddles? It could be done but doesn't seem very "Toyota" to do that. Nissan did it but they are more known for sporty cars and that sporty feeling.

Seems to me that your friend will be disappointed. Sorry.

minkus likes this.
  14. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah, April fools joke!

And the walking stick for the senior and blind drivers? :D

15. Erikon

Erikon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Only your friend can decide, he should test drive the C and see if he likes it. If not, and he's a Honda fan he can check out the CR-Z with a stick! Driven carefully it can give high 30's to low 40's.

16. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Toyota HSD does not use a transmission gear box with different speeds like 4 or 5 speed.

Here's a basic read on HSD.

[ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hybrid_Synergy_Drive[/ame]

Let's see if can recall the basics - HSD replaces the traditional transmission gearbox, alternator and starter on a conventional car with a pair of motor generators, power-split gearset and hybrid battery for energy storage. the two MG's and ICE are conncected to the 'power-split' gearset and the arrangement acts as a continuously variable transmission with electronic control.

MG1 recharges the hybrid battery, powers MG2 and starts the ICE. MG2 can drive the wheels and convert kinetic energy to electrical energy. The ICE can also drive the wheels.

17. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm sure you didn't offend anyone. It's just that some people have a pretty deep understanding of HSD and maybe have a strong reaction as a protection mechanism.

The way HSD works and drives is completely different than any conventional car I've driven. HSD offers a very pleasant and quiet experience for daily driving.

If your friend is looking for some sport on the road, a CT200h would work better for that. Or a CR-Z.

minkus likes this.
  18. justlurkin

justlurkin Señor Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The only way to simulate gear-shifting in the Prius Hybrid Synergy Drive (with the ICE revving to a high RPM then suddenly drop down to low RPMs) would be to redline sun gear/MG1 (which is limited to 10,000 RPM) so not all of the engine's power at high revs is going to the ring gear/MG2/output shaft assembly.

One can see how that would work by using the Prius PSD simulator at Toyota Prius - Power Split Device -- Move the slider for ring gear/MG2/drive wheels to higher speeds, and then overrev the ICE to simulate the "shift shock" and see what it does to MG1 RPMs.

This is rather wasteful and kills the fuel economy, not to mention being hard on MG1 and the traction battery. Utterly useless.

It is rumored that Lexus will do this for the JDM CT200h F Sport. For the rich dumb people who want to pay to have this useless "feature" I guess. Being that the raison d' etre for Lexus is to make money, if rich dumb people are willing to buy more Lexii if they have such an idiotic feature, why not put it in LOL. :D

minkus likes this.
  19. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Something along the lines of an elliptical trainer might work. Peddle forward for a higher gear, and backward for a lower gear.

Steering and accelerator control would be with the arm "walking" sticks. Pull back on both sticks to accelerate, and push forward with both sticks to brake. Steer by differential between the sticks.

It would be a niche market, perhaps limited to retired bulldozer operators. :D

20. BruceInOKC

BruceInOKC Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hybrids use a CVT to hold rpm as low as possible, which maximizes mileage. Sports cars use manual transmissions and high rev shifts to maximize power. Opposite goals.

The OP asked a fair question. It was unnecessary to be rude to him.

minkus and Erikon like this.