1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Do You Trust Express Lube Places for Oil Changes?

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by hubmacfan, Jun 3, 2013.

1. hubmacfan

hubmacfan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Even though I've only had my 2011 Prius for a week, I'm already thinking about oil changes. I've reviewed this information on Prius oil changes and it appears that the Prius raises some concerns I've never had with a vehicle. First, I've never had a car with a paper filter as opposed to the "cartridge" screw-on filter. Second, It appears the crush gasket on the oil pan plug must be changed at each oil change.

I'm concerned about taking my Prius to my regular oil-change place. Not that I've ever seen them cut corners, but it's not as "simple" as a "regular" oil change.

How many of you do-it-yourself as opposed to going to Quik-E-Lube, Wal-Mart, etc.?

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    My Toyota dealer is within $5 of as cheap as I see advertized. YMMV

3. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I've taken mine to dealers that seem reputable. I've always heard bad stories about Jiffy Lube so I avoid them.

4. xpcman

xpcman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I used Jiffy Lube one time. They overfilled the oil and I lost 5 MPG for the next 5,000 miles.
    I have used Speedy when I supplied the oil and always give them 3 quarts for the Gen II and add the extra 1/2 quart when I get home. That worked out fine. But, now the local Toyota dealer has quick oil change service and I always use them for both the 2008 and the 2010 Gen III.

5. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    ^^^
    I've had my oil overfilled at least 3 times by 3 different Toyota dealers... they're not immune to it.

6. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Take it to the dealer - at least you know it's done right. Jiffy Lube and other quick lubes generally approach oil change service as a one-size-fits-all. I don't want to take any chances.

7. Chris S

Chris S Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Took my old Nova to a quick lube 20 years ago. It was a stick, 3 on the tree, gear oil filled from a nut on the tranny side. While waiting for oil change, tech tells me the tranny dipstick showed the fluid was low and he wanted to sell me some. I said thanks anyway but no and never went back to one again. Usually did my own after that until I got the Prius last year, now I go to dealer and have no gripes aside that they always check the air filters and get the car dirty. I'm gonna put a note on the dash next time to say don't bother, I replace it for 1/3 of the price.

Merkey likes this.
  8. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I went once. They called it a "Pry us". Overfilled. Took forever. Did not get free 22 point inspection by Toyota Prius tech as required in manual.

9. Rupert B Puppenstein

Rupert B Puppenstein Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have only taken it to the dealer. I figured that they would do things right and because the warranty included it for free for a while, it turned into a habit. I don't know if I would be comfortable taking it anywhere else.

10. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Way back when Saturns first came out, the quick lube places were removing the trans filters instead of the oil filters, because they were both spin-ons (even though the filters were clearly marked as to what they were). Instead of putting a new trans filter back on, they were just screwing them back on, even though the filters were crushed when they were removed. Let's just say those places bought a lot of transmissions back then. ;)

11. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Saturns had the big winding arm on the front bumper back then?

12. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The crush washer has always been required for an oil change, at least since the 1992 Accord that was my first oil change. The cartridge filter is the same as the oil filter of yore if you remove the metal casing. The oil change process hasn't changed. The Prius oil change is the same as any other conventional car.

13. hubmacfan

hubmacfan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I've never had a car that had a crush washer on the drain plug. I've never had to change an O-Ring when changing a filter. I've never had to remove a "plate" (whatever you want to call that plastic cover) to get to the drain pan. Going back to 1985 since you mentioned it. So, while the overall process hasn't changed, there are little details that I worry about being completed.

14. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have had issues with the quick oil change places like Jiffy Lube. But I have also had issues with the dealership putting in the wrong oil and overtightening the oil drain plug, oil filter and tire lug nuts to the point that I broke a cheap breaker bar trying to loosen the lug nuts.

I am now a DIY'er to make sure it is done correctly every time.

15. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    You're worried about the little details. You refuse to believe me that it has been the same process at least the last 20 years. It sounds like you have the answer to your question. DIY or go to the dealer.

16. subjective

subjective Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have concerns with any oil change including my favorite Toyota dealership; Because I commonly experience, overfilling, installing the wrong oil, neglecting to change the oil filter. To try to prevent from this in my Prius I request from the service advisor to; Put in the car only 4 quarts of synthetic Toyota 0 W 20 from bottles only and then top off any additional oil myself, If the oil is high on the stick they either over filled or didn't change the filter in which case I go to the service mgr for a supervised oil and filter change. The same if the oil level is low. This is the only way short of changing the oil myself that I know to do for insurance. In spite of these continued precautions, I have still on occasion experienced anomalies. They have to know they are going to be called out for incompetent performance which could damage my engine! So far, my service mgrs. have gone along with this and I give them 10+ reviews. This helps both them and me in the long run and everyone is happy.

Bob G IA likes this.
  17. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Don't a lot of these places suck the oil through the dipstick so they don't have to mess with the drain plug and can cut their times?

18. hubmacfan

hubmacfan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Not around here. They all have a "pit" where an employee is supposed to open the drain plug and change the filter.

19. Chris S

Chris S Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It's scary that we have to deal with so much incompetency when it comes to such simple maintenance. I get nervous about the dealership techs but I try to believe they know more about Prius than the corner garage. I check my level, filter, and panels after every change just to be sure it's all good. Why do we have to do this?! Seems so simple.... Drain oil, swap filter, fill oil, check the level, clean up, done. Of course I could go back to doing it myself I suppose... ;-)

My mother had her Corolla inspected the other week at the dealer I stopped using and somehow the car came off the lift and they ruined a tire and broke the hubcap. They threw a new tire on and replaced the hubcap but all they needed to do was look at the brake pads! She didn't know better to ask for a pair of tires so now at 35k miles she has 3 OE and 1 new one.

Bob G IA likes this.
  20. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible Chance favors the prepared mind.

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I do my own changes. You only have to buy the tools once, and you can do the work at your own time/speed.

If you have the storage space for the jack, jack stands, catch pan, and wrenches, there's no excuse not to do them yourself.

1)Learn once, 2) do your own changes forever, 3) Profit.

2k1Toaster and Bob G IA like this.