1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Does anyone have any good ideas for dealing with visibility issues in Prius C?

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by devable, Oct 16, 2014.

1. devable

devable New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I've had my prius C for a little over a year, and the visibility issues are something that are making me consider trading it in. I love the car otherwise. But the blindspots are so big, and there is something that I cannot put my finger on that makes it really hard to see at night. It seems like maybe the side view mirrors are just at a bad angle? I don't know exactly, but when I'm driving in the dark, I get this feeling that if there was a car without their lights on next to me, I wouldn't even see them. I have thought about getting an aftermarket blindspot detection system installed, or replacing the sideview mirrors/adding accessories to give more visibility. Does anyone have any experience with this? Those little convex mirrors that you stick on sideview mirrors are pretty tacky looking, but I'm willing to try anything.

j12piprius likes this.
  2. kingnba6

kingnba6 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    you should always adjust the mirrors to your liking. every car has blind spots but with a little adjustment, the spots can be almost lost. have a look [​IMG]

i dont have a problem with the Cs visibility.

3. devable

devable New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for the reply, I have tried adjusting the mirrors but I haven't been able to find a place where I am comfortable with them.

4. skayaks

skayaks Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    The reply from kingnba6 on side mirrors is a good reference. If someone has been using mirrors adjusted the traditional way it can take a long time to become comfortable with a different view. But it's worth it.
    At one of the first performance driving schools I attended the instructor said "You already know what color your car is. Adjust your side mirrors outward so when a car leaves your rear mirror it's already in your side mirror. When it leaves your side mirror, it should be entering your peripheral vision."
    This has always worked well for me, even in my C, but I don't know if it will always work for different folks with different seat adjustments.
    Fine tuning the adjustment is easiest on a lightly traveled multi-lane road.

The C's rear headrests are another matter. Mine are pulled out until they are needed.

edspecR, NDcowPoke, WilDavis and 4 others like this.
  5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Every new car we get seems to be worse for peripheral and rear visibility. The rear seat head rests don't help either. Another issue for me is finicky dash controls, that need your undivided attention for multiple seconds, the vent mode controls for example. Big, plain, tactile knobs are so old-school, I guess.

6. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    This is the only car that I've ever just said "screw it... there's a blind spot on the drivers side." I fixed this by getting a small bubble mirror for the drivers side. Now I have no issues. I've driven a lot of cars and I've adjusted the mirrors on all of them and debunked many of my friends' "blind spots", but I just couldn't find it on this car.

j12piprius likes this.
  7. smackdownC

smackdownC Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    +1 Blind spot mirrors.

ErikaRachel likes this.
  8. Okinawa

Okinawa Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    My response is not going to do anything to help you now but it may when you buy another car in the future. I recently bought a new Avalon Hybrid XLE Touring. I bought the Touring because it has blind spot monitors in both outside mirrors and rear cross traffic alert. Very valuable options that will definitely make driving safer. I'm sure you can get these options in other cars as well. I almost caused a wreck with the car I had before the Avalon and the next car I bought just had to have these options. Well worth whatever they cost and they work great.

ErikaRachel likes this.
  9. catgic

catgic Mastr & Commandr Hybrid Guru

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Devable – FWIW FYI: http://www.wikihow.com/Set-Rear‐View-Mirrors-to-Eliminate-Blind-Spots

10. los panda

los panda Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    i took the 3 rear headrests out. i'll out them in if i ever have any human passengers back there.

edspecR, NR427, RickInMesa and 2 others like this.
  11. Ashley7

Ashley7 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    I had already driven mine for two years when I added cheap blind spot mirrors from Target. Huge, incredible difference. Please try it before you trade in the car, assuming you love the car otherwise. Although I still look over my shoulder (as you should), the blind spots have truly all but disappeared.

j12piprius and robertmaria like this.
  12. SwhitePC

SwhitePC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    wow, if you think the C has blind spots that can't be fixed with the turn of the head, lol

I've been in vehicles that even with blind spot mirrors you'd still have to trust your memory of how many vehicles are around you and where they were at the last time...then trust your guts...and your passenger

Then I've seen people that drive in cars that seem to have them laying back down and their heads are barely at the windows, lol

13. robertmaria

robertmaria Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    backing up is like trying to park a golfball. this 13 foot car has no front to back line. i adjust the power mirrors down to see the parking lines underneath,,,, yes the car really is that narrow too. then throw away both rear headrests. no one willl miss them. keep the middle one for nostalgia. for driving try to turn your head for then changing lanes. the A pillars are in the way of turns forward hahaha. gawd we LOVE this car !!! and backing up seems to have a weird angle to it because the rear goes very wide. it helps me to sit on a cushion to raise my relative seat height.

#13 robertmaria, Oct 17, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2014
    edspecR likes this.
  14. mahout

mahout Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Do you have your mirrors properly adjusted?
    with head fully erect, lean 45 deg toward the door and adjust driver sise mirror to just barely catch left side of car.
    llllllean right same and adjust pass side mirror to barely catch side of car.
    I cured the lack of rear view out back window by doubling rear window wiper toward the unwiped side. Eliminated not seeing vettes approaching from the rear at high speed. video on utube.

15. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible Chance favors the prepared mind.

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I fix visibility issues two ways...

1) [​IMG]

2) High tech: Move My Head and My Eyes around.

Works every time it's tried.

irrational and ewaboy like this.
  16. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I do the ol' move my head and eyes around, but I'll be damned if I still don't get surprised. Poor rear visibity moves the safety "goal posts". No matter how vigilant you are, you're disadvantaged with lousy rear (or front) visibility. Having to rubber neck back for longer and longer, increases your odds of plowing into something too.

j12piprius likes this.
  17. Okinawa

Okinawa Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I certainly agree. Also, when you are backing out of a parking space and there is cross traffic behind creates a real safety issue. People drive through parking lots like they are driving on a race track. The new Avalon I now have has blind spot monitors in the outside mirrors, rear cross traffic alert and back up camera. These safety items are great as far as I am concerned.

j12piprius likes this.
  18. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Here's one of the very few useful tips I've found from The Car-Talk guys; Avoiding The Blind Spot | Car Talk

, I used to listen regularly to their programme when I first moved here from the UK back in 1983, but over the years Car-Talk has degenerated to nothing more than a "chuckle-fest" put on by The Chuckle-Brothers, however the link I posted will definitely help. - Wil

PS: I have a back-up camera which is useful once you get used to the fact that the camera is offset from the centre-line of the car, but getting back to the rear-view, I find the horizontal bar between the upper and lower rear window is in a perfect position to shade me from the lights of any tail-gater (I've been noticing more tail-gaters since I've been driving a Prius).

#18 WilDavis, Oct 20, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2014
  19. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Some of us have installed cameras in the blind spots. I'm still working on the plans for a system which displays an image from the cameras on the nav/backup camera screen. I'd like the turn-signal to activate the camera for the blind spot. Still a few kinks to work out.

20. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    That would be nice. Honda has this system.