1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Does Full Synthetic Oil Degrade Over Time?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Aaron, Dec 8, 2010.

1. Aaron

Aaron Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Does Full Synthetic Oil Degrade Over Time?

I have one quart of Mobil 1 in a portable generator that I will ONLY use during an emergency. Oil has been in there for about a year. Generator has only 1.5 hours on it (started it just to make sure it worked).

Should I do annual oil changes or leave it alone?

2. Paul58

Paul58 Mileage Miser

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The biggest concern may be condensation because the system is probably not completely sealed. The introduction of moisture could cause the oil to degrade and would be considered a contaminate.

3. Aaron

Aaron Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    How do I tell if it is sealed? Its garage kept. Never gets below freezing.

4. Paul58

Paul58 Mileage Miser

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Doesn't matter, moisture is introduced into the engine through the intake and through crankcase ventilation which is common on internal combustion engines, especially those that utilize a carborator. As the engine warm up, the moisture in the air condenses and turns from a vapor to a liquid. Very limited use just componds the problem because the engine does not get hot enough long enough to heat the liquid back to a vapor for it to be expelled from the engine. Short answer, it sure wouldn't hurt to change it annually!

I have a generator in my RV and it's recommended that it be run under load for at least 30 minutes every couple of months for this very reason. I change the oil in it annually just to be safe. It only takes two quarts, so it's not that big a deal.

5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Probably wouldn't hurt to start the generator quarterly and run it for 15 minutes or so under load, to make sure that it still works. Then change the engine oil annually as previously suggested, to get water vapor out of the crankcase.

6. kohnen

kohnen Grumpy, Cranky Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Or, drain the crankcase empty, and put a flashlight, a quart of oil, and a funnel next to it.

When needed, turn on the flashlight, fill the crankcase with the oil using the funnel, and fire it up.

No worries - the oil in the bottle will have at least a 5 year shelf life.

7. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I wouldn't do that, because the oil is best off in the engine to prevent corrosion. I agree with Patrick, just run it a few times a year. Let it run long enough to get the oil warm just a few times a year and the oil can stay in there for years.

8. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Nearly 30 years ago, I worked at a Honda power products dealership that carried generators, waterpumps, and mowers. You should be more concerned with the gas. At the very least, add sta-bil to it.

9. Aaron

Aaron Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The gas that I ran through it that one time about a year ago contained Stabil. I ran the engine dry and cleaned the carburetor.

My 6000W Subaru generator states the following for long term storage, I thought #2 was very interesting:

(1) Drain fuel from the fuel tank and carburetor float chamber.
    (2) To prevent rust in the cylinder bore, pour about 5 cc of engine oil
    into the cylinder, pull the recoil starter knob gently 2 or 3 times and then put back the spark plug.

(3) Pull the recoil starter knob until the resistance is heavy. Leave it in that position.
    (4) Clean the exterior of the engine with an oiled cloth. Place a plastic cover or similar over the engine, and store the engine in a dry place.

As far as oil changes it says:

Initial 20 hours and every 100 hours afterward

I only have 1.5 hours, but it has been sitting for over a year. Thanks for all the great suggestions. Looks like I'll be running it soon.

To sum things up, I was under the ASSUMPTION that since I was running Mobil 1, I could follow steps 1-4 and store it forever b/c I was under the 20 hours of the first required oil change. Guess not.

10. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, the long-term storage instructions make sense. Note step #3: the point of that is to turn the crankshaft until both valves are closed.

However you'll have to remember to add fuel and oil before using the generator, if you implement those storage instructions.

11. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Indoors, a lightly oiled cloth is enough. A plastic cover can trap moisture from a slightly moist floor, one dry enough that you don't realize it's moist.