1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Does GM REALLY want to phase out the Volt?

Discussion in 'Chevrolet Volt' started by GrumpyCabbie, Jan 20, 2012.

1. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It has been rumoured on here that GM don't want the Volt to succeed and that they use it as a way to cross sell their other models.

I thought this was a load of paranoid conspiracy theory nonsense until recently.

Some months ago I was looking around the UK Vauxhall site (GM's UK arm) and signed up for updates on the forthcoming Ampera model. Since then I have been hit hard with emails for their different models in their lineup - mainly the economical diesels etc. OK, perhaps it's a coincidence.

Then yesterday I noted on their website that they have now announced the UK prices for the RHD Ampera, which are as follows (but you should be sitting down first!);

You ready for this? Prices for the two models are;

The base model 'Positiv' £37,250 ($57,818) and the top of the range 'Electron' at £38,995 ($60,530)!!! And that's before you add £400 for metalic paint and other options!! OK, both the prices include our 20% sales tax BUT even so!

So are they serious about selling a Cruze/Astra size vehicle for more than double the price? Nobody in their right mind will spend near on forty grand on a car that size. I predict they will sell 585 in the first year, 331 in the second and then it'll be discontinued due to poor sales.

I really had high hope for the Ampera in the UK but £38,995!!!! ha ha ha ha ha ha ha. Hold on, ha ha ha ha ha. Never ever ever will that sell.

(Insight £16,995, base Prius £21,000, Leaf £26,000, BMW 5 Series £30,000)

Build Your Vauxhall Ampera | E-REV Car Configurator

1 person likes this.
  2. ksstathead

ksstathead Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Not terribly much higher than the US price once you take the VAT out.

It is not priced to sell to a mass market. I think it is a nice car, but I demand different compromises in order to bring the price down a bit and achieve greater efficiency for my needs. As a TCO buyer, I cannot make it work.

I expect to trade for a PHV, so I am not a pure TCO buyer, but the PHV fits my needs much better at a lower price and at greater efficiency.

1 person likes this.
  3. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I know I'm not good at math but how are you working that out and what's your definition of not much?

$39,995 into UK£'s = £25,744 + 20% vat = £30,892

£37,250 - £30,892 = £6,357 ($9,874).

I'd call a £6,357 difference between US & UK price significant (even factoring 20% vat!). Enought for a new small car;

Peugeot 107 | 3 Door Hatchback

4. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Ahh, come on Grumpy.
    What is US $10k between friends ?

Give GM a little help here, so they can sell you another in 8 years or so.

5. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Prius PHV starts at £31,000 but after £5,000 government grant, it becomes £26,000.

How much is the government grant for Ampera?

6. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    lol. I'm just a little miffed they're charging such a stupid amount. At least we have other EV's to choose from. There's the Leaf, the Mitsubishi thing and the two French rebadged models. Renault have released a number of electric vans, including a small 5 seater people carrier version, the Fluence EV due soon and the futuristic looking Zoe EV later in the year. The prices for these are very competitive. The vans are about £18,000, the Fluence about £18,000 also and the Zoe is indicated at about £14,000.

Perhaps a Fluence EV at £17,850 and a Prius £21,000 = £38,850 instead of an Ampera?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renault_Fluence_Z.E.
    [ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renault_Zoe]Renault Zoe - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]
    Renault Kangoo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

7. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    £5,000.

£38,995 - £5,000 = £33,850. But still more than a BMW 5 series.

1 person likes this.
  8. ksstathead

ksstathead Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yeah, 10K is a chunk, alright.

9. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    the renaults come without a battery
    thats on lease
    to keep the base price down.

10. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Now you know why nobody in the US is buying them (I don't believe the primary cause for that is production, no matter what GM claims).

A Volt here also costs approx twice a Cruze. Oh sure the base Volt has more accessories and all that, but...

I don't think GM wants to phase out the Volt. I think they just can't and won't sell a large number of them unless they can lower the price significantly. I don't believe they can lower it significantly, and thus I predict its lifespan to be relatively short. I've been wrong before.

11. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    That's the chicken and egg problem.

It has been proven that the price has to start at an affordable level. Prius started with $19,995 back in 2001.

As the sales volume increases, the car got better. Even with the inflation and exchange rate, Prius c will be coming out at $19k but that took 4 redesigns/improvements.

Volt starts at $40k. How are they supposed to make the next gen better and cost less? Even after 4 generations, it'll should still cost over $35k.

12. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Along with the VAT, is there any other tariffs on the car, like import taxes?

I only found info on individual cars bought in the US and imported to UK.
    How to Import a car to the UK from the US

13. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yeah didn't realise there's a 10% import duty on vehicles brought in from outside Europe. And then there is the 20% vat (sales tax) on top of all this (it was 17.5% when the link above was valid). But even including this, there is still some discrepancy in costs.

The prices quoted in the post above also include bringing a non standard vehicle into the UK where it would need individual compliance testing.

Or to put it another way. The UK Leaf is only £1,500 more expensive than the US price after all taxes have been taken into account and the UK price includes delivery etc.

The Volt/Ampera is £6,300 different.

14. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think one of Toyota's greatest victories in relationship to Prius and "alternative" vehicles in the form of hybrids has been their understanding that they need to make the product as mainstream and accesible as possible.

The Volt, has manifested from PR stunt (imo) to luxury "niche" product. But GM seems to have no respect or idea how to build an alternative vehicle that is reachable and utilizeable to the masses.

Until they do? They are behind the times, and surfing behind the waves.

15. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    The Volt was stillborn as a vehicle. All this intarweb noise is just the sounds of people yawning and trying to wake up before their coffee is ready.

16. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Nisan is doing some aggressive pricing. I think they still are planning to build in the UK in 2013. I don't think gm cares all that much if they sell the cars in europe, but they want to make them available. High pricing isn't an indication that the car is going away, but they won't sell many in europe next year. Both the leaf and volt don't seem right for a cab driver. If the ford energi makes it to england and they price it right that may be better for a cab.

Europeans get screwed with a lot of pricing. How much is the prius phv?

17. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If they could just take out the ICE and all the stuff associated with it, and replace with two more batteries, it might make an OK electric car. But then likely in Tesla S territory.

[sigh]

18. Insight-I Owner

Insight-I Owner 2006 Insight-I MT + 2011 Prius

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Agreed. But I guess that would give it a 120 mile range, which would put it in competition with the Leaf, which has 5 seats rather than 4 and costs less, albeit with 100 mile range.

To me there are two problems with the Volt's design (not talking about price here!):
    (1) Too narrow a niche. Unless you can charge at work, max AER is 20 miles each way. When I worked, I commuted 34 miles each way. A Leaf would have suited me perfectly and gotten me completely off gas. I would have had something else (a Prius now) for longer trips. Factoring in price, the Volt seems like "a car for well-to-do folks who don't need to go very far".
    (2) Unblended architecture: blending electric with gas usage seems like a better strategy than the Volt's EV-then-ICE design. With blending, the car can select EV in sections where the ICE would be particularly inefficient (low loads) and stretch out the battery usage. Also, if the ICE is kept warm the car avoids wasting battery for cabin heat in winter.

Despite their protestations to the contrary, GM doesn't seem that eager to pound out and sell a lot of Volts. Seems more like something to give them creds while they crank out their usual lineup.

19. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Another thing about the Volt is its four door sedan body. Four doors plus hatch is much more utilitarian. Unless the car is more performance oriented (apparently that's GM's take on the Volt, although I'm not sure I agree), five doors makes so much more sense for the segment.

It's, sadly, just not as well focused as it might be.

20. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Did you mean sedan as in trunk? Volt is a liftback sort of like Prius, but not as much space.

On another note, I'll take all the word that Volt is more 'fun' to drive as in spunkier acceleration.