1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Does leather seats, Pckge 4 really matter at $2,800 extra?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by winebuff, Apr 22, 2009.

1. winebuff

winebuff Proud owner of a 2010 Prius

Model:
    IV
    I want a sunroof on my Prius and would love leather but at $2,800 extra for the package 4 to get leather, is it worth it when you can get a package 3 with the sunroof. How important would you say leather is for the extra price? Dont really care about the extra smart key doors or other features on the 4. Anything on package 4 besides leather that is great I should reexamine? Thx!

2. royrose

royrose Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    If all you care about is leather, You can have custom leather seat covers made for half that, and have a wide choice of colors.

Roy

3. zyonuf79

zyonuf79 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I don't know from experience, but I would wager that leather is more durable and easier to clean.

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    water-repellent glass is a Lexus features. It helps keep the front windows clearer during rain events (I suppose snow works too but I'm not sure). Don't forget it comes with heated seats!

5. Madeleine

Madeleine Student of Prius

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I just can't type this fast enough... YES... the leather is easier to keep clean, more comfortable, and certainly easier to get in and out of sliding w/clothes not sticking to the fabric... BUT:
    we are SO MUCH HAPPIER with our custom leather seats w/heat than buying the T. installed stock leather option.

In 2008, we bought a package 3 touring (black w/bisque interior) and in the sale, negotiated for custom leather w/heat added into our price. We went with perforated leather in a bisque/black two-tone look - bisque on the seat, black on the back/sides...

The leather was higher quality and feel than if we'd gone with the stock leather that T. uses, and we got such a great custom look that people are stunned when they see/feel. We could also choose exactly where we wanted to controls for the heated seat, and even work with the installer to encourage more back placement of the heat, a bit less on the seat.

If you negotiate it right, you'll end up paying the same or less than if you'd gone for the stock leather/heat option.
    (here is what ours looks like - I hope this link works...)
    http://priuschat.com/forums/images/silk/attach/jpg.gif

Attached Files:

6. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome back Madeleine. :)

Your Katzkins look great.

7. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    There's more to the Pkg IV upgrade than just leather. I love having Homelink in my 2004 and look forward to not having a separate clunky remote in the 2010. I'm "used" to SKS on the hatch, so do want 3 door SKS. Water repellent glass will be new, and it's been a couple of cars since I've had leather. I'm open to seeing if PlasmaCluster will help w/ the farm odors I drive through become more bearable. Heated seats are not all that useful 9 months out of the year though, and power lumbar is one of those things that I'd probably set once and forget.

8. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Those are great custom seats!

9. winebuff

winebuff Proud owner of a 2010 Prius

Model:
    IV
    Thx everyone, great advice. Going with the leather and the extras. The smart key looks interesting as I ahve a 07 base model and it does not have the smart key feature. At the end of the day though, how hard is it to open a car door without that feature. Its so ez even a caveman can do it :)

10. dvdirv

dvdirv Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Go Aftermarket

I had an aftermarket shop install the leather for my '07 Prius at a cost around $1000. It looks like a factory job--if not better.

If all you want is leather as part of package 4, this may be the most sensible route to take.

11. PriusCrazy

PriusCrazy Blizzard Pearl for Me

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Maybe I'm a caveman (or maybe just a Patas monkey) and my thinking is all wrong, but without the 3 door smart key, if you want to open the rider's side door, wouldn't you have to walk around to the driver's side, "trigger" the smart key system open the door then walk back around to the rider's side? :shocked: LOL!!! Surely I'm missing something! Somebody set me straight, please! :)

12. marduk

marduk New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Wow Madeleine, that's a really nice leather seat job. Is this a Oregon/PDX shop?

I once had vomit sprayed all over the front seat, headrest, the backseat of my car. I was very glad I had leather. It took 30 minutes to clean and wipe down everything, and the car looked & smelled as if nothing happened. Having survived smelly digestive fluid pooling on leather interior of my car, and with a 15 month old as a daily passenger, leather is a must for me.

But yeah, $3800 from the base is quite a bit to think about... $3800 is a very nice full carbon bike frame . :)

13. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh you'll come to like SKS soon enough

14. DeanFL

DeanFL 2010 owner - 1st Prius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Marduk - thanks for the graphic description.... :eek:hwell:

Re leather - I took a test drive in the Insight last week and the dealer had leather installed. It looked horrible, more like pleather. And this Insight, one of 3 on their lot - Dealer sticker $25,500. They loaded it with the typical dealer crap....

The leather in all the '10 Prii pics looks very nice - perforated with a swirl-type pattern. For those that were fortunate to take a sit in a leather variety - is it nice? Sure wish the bisque interior was two-tone as the dark gray.

My pic (deposit down at 2 dealers) Red or White with bisque, probably IV or V. In Central Florida.

15. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Agree w/ Tideland - I MISS SKS every time I drive the 2002.

16. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's actually perforated and in a wave pattern!

mmm.... my smart doesn't have it either and the keyfob's bigger than the Prius'!

17. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There are buttons on the fob, aren't there? Don't you have the fob on your person somewhere? People seem to forget that.

18. eglmainz

eglmainz New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I thought that I had read here (somewhere) that the Water Repellent glass treatment was only applied to side windows? Does anyone know for certain if the front windshield is also treated?

19. marduk

marduk New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Good question. I'd like to know as well.

Does anyone know if the repellent treatment is permanent property of the glass as oppose to the aftermarket rain-x treatment?

Living in the northwest, I can see this as a useful feature. I treat my car windows every year before the 6 month rainy season starts.

20. chancejd

chancejd New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I would agree with most everyone in this thread so far. Leather is infinitely easier to clean. It won't absorb liquids or odors the way cloth will. If you drive around any kids, you'll know what a hassle that can be. I would NOT pay $2800 for leather seats, however. I could understand paying that much for all-power, heated, leather seats, but that's just not what you're getting with that package.

The leather is decent, but it's certainly not as nice as what you could get for that price having your seats custom upholstered. Also, as nice as heated leather seats are, I can't justify $3K just to warm up my bum while I drive....and I drive a TON. Don't pay for features you don't want or care for, anyways. =)

Get your sunroof and enjoy the heck out of it, then have a GOOD shop re-upholster your seats with some fine leather for half or less than half that price.