1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Does one buy a Prius if they keep cars 14+ years ?

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by B_Sebastian, Jan 1, 2012.

1. Tony420

Tony420 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Buy a prius because you want to save some major cash on gas.

2. devprius

devprius /dev/geek

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    We had a '98 Dodge Grand Caravan that went over 160K miles on the original tranny before it got munched in an accident.

3. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Nice list Jeff but you forgot two frequent replacement items on standard ICE's that the Prius doesn't need: starter motor and alternator.

Also, you got seriously screwed on the strut replacement costs. :eek:

4. Gurple42

Gurple42 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Because of your annual mileage, I'd get a new 4 cyl Toyota Camry. Should be trouble free for the 1st 120k.

5. elcano

elcano Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
  6. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    These are reasonably reliable parts. The odds on needing to replace either in a modern car's normal life is low
    That price was for all four struts (list for about $100 each in the front and the mini struts on the rear, list for about $150 each)The K-Y struts are expensive (but have a lifetime warranty) and you need to also replace the upper mount (also not cheap, fronts list at $115 each and the rear bushings list at about $20) or they will start squeaking later. I just had my local mechanic do it as I was busy with school and just paid him to get it done.

JeffD

7. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Although Jeff may be satisfied with his repair history, I can already think of many people who would be extremely upset if they had such a repair history for a 200k car.

The items that may go bad or require maintenance on a conventional car (starters, timing belts, etc) are usually less expensive to replace and you will have a greater number of competent service providers to choose from. Unfortunately a lot of shops are not familiar with the Prius and either cause problems or attempt to charge exorbitant amounts of money. So even now, simple work on a Prius simply cost more due to fear/paranoia-- just look at the ongoing transmission fluid replacement thread in the various sections.

Time has just as much of a toll on batteries (personal experience) as does mileage. The Gen II cars are getting old enough now that you'll probably start seeing component failures that are tied directly to normal wear. It will be interesting to see how this plays out in the next year or two, but it is quite possible that the 150-200k window is when the bigger items will being to fail.

8. Feri

Feri Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I've said it before! You can't compare Hyundai and Toyota in the same breath, especially if you want longevity. Hyundai is a good average car maker now a days but still do not remotely approach Toyota in quality.

9. mostholycerebus

mostholycerebus New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    Hyundai in the past 6,7 years has been just as reliable. You don't offer a 100k warranty if you dont have the quality to make that profitable. Where they lacked was style and amenities, something they are catching up on fast. Anecdotally, my 2005 sonata has had a flawless 120k so far, and I really mean flawless, drives like it was brand new.

That said, I would avoid the elantra touring. It is Hyundais last gen tech, gets mediocre gas mileage and power because its not GDI.

10. mi2k

mi2k Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I have heard that some people choose not to replace the battery when it dies, and continue to drive the car as a 25MPG car. Is it possible to do so?

11. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
  12. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No. When traction battery dies in Prius or other full hybrid, it needs to be replaced. Can't drive a Prius with bad traction battery. It won't move. But, I don't even recall an early battery failure.

1 person likes this.
  13. B_Sebastian

B_Sebastian New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Folks,

Thank you all for your insights, calculations and wisdom. I am loving the PriusChat forums :)

Over the holidays we test drove the Hyundai Sonata and Elantra as well as the Prius and Prius v III.

From the Hyundai perspective we like the Sonata better than the Elantra. When we put the both of them next to each other the Sonata is about 11" longer and 1.5" wider, not much of a difference in size but the Sonata ride was better and the car was much quieter than the Elantra especially on the highway.

From a Prius perspective I was surprised by the room inside both cars. The Prius'es appear smaller than they are. We liked the Prius v over the Prius. We like the extra space and utility as well as the ride of the v.

Since we have enjoyed excellent reliability with our two previous Celica's we're going to go for the Prius v and hope our hybrid gives us the same results.

Thank you PriusChat members B.

14. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I suspect you will like your Prius as much as I like mine. There are any number of configurable settings your dealer can make to your car.

The salesman will promise (in writing, one copy for him, one for you) any of them, he wants to make a sale. If you wait until after it is yours, the Service manager will try to charge you for them, he wants to make a profit.

So read that part part of the manual, and print your wants for the salesman to sign as part of the sale.

I recommend setting the headlights to 0 seconds, the reverse to one beep. Unlock one door unlocks all doors. Wirelessly unlock all door in one step.

http://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/document/om/OM47674U/pdf/sec_06-02.pdf