1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

"DOH" Recall - Brake Booster Pump Assembly (Accumulator)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Den49, Aug 6, 2013.

1. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Brought the car in today at 7AM and didn't get it back until 2PM. Here's what my paperwork says:

DOH RECALL
    OP CODE 3530EC
    COMPLETED AS PER TOYOTA

QTY FP NUMBER DESCRIPTION
    1 04002-20247 PUMP ASSY, BRAKE
    4 00475-1BF03 BRAKE FLUID

The brake fluid comes in 10 oz. bottles. Others on this site have indicated 3 bottles or 6 bottles (?). They overfilled mine to about 3/4" ABOVE the MAX mark. The "Service Technician" said that the level will drop after I drive it a bit (?). I told him that if it isn't between the MIN and MAX marks by tomorrow morning I'm bringing it back. Does anyone know what effect, if any, the overfilled brake fluid might have?

They apparently did not disconnect the 12V battery as my windows and radio presets were not affected.

I have no idea if they used Techstream to perform this work, or if it is required. Anyone care to comment?

While driving home (it was 81 degrees out) I noticed that my outside temperature indication wasn't even close to actual temperature. It started at 68, then eventually went to 70, then 72. This was during a 15 minute ride home. I'll double-check that one tomorrow morning when I check the brake fluid level.

I don't think the master cylinder was replaced, as some others (BWilson4Web) have indicated. Also, BWilson4Web had a slightly different OP CODE, which probably reflects the master cylinder replacement in addition to the booster pump assembly.

Overall, I get the sense that this recall is not being performed consistently across dealerships (or within individual dealerships, for that matter.) I do have a nice, shiny new booster pump assembly, though. (y)

32kcolors likes this.
  2. Kevine64

Kevine64 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    mine was done right before I bought the car CPO but all I have in its history is the pump and fluid also. Not sure what makes them replace the master or not though.

3. Den49

Den49 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Brake fluid level above the MAX line is not a problem so long as it is not too high and spill out of the reservoir. You are OK if you don't see fluid outside the reservoir. If you see spilled fluid, you can take it back to the dealer or simply suck out the excess fluid with a turkey baster.

RRxing likes this.
  4. Kevine64

Kevine64 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Over filled will be an issue or even fill to the max line will be an issue if your brakes are worn say half way or more. Unless your brakes are new having it at full once you go to change your brakes and push in the cylinders it's going to push brake fluid out of your resivor and all over your engine bay lol.

RRxing likes this.
  5. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited

Thanks. I'll let the dealer's "service" department do it. No sense wasting a perfectly good turkey baster... :D

6. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    That's why some of us are waiting until they figure out what the heck they're doing or gain more experience, but thanks for being our guinea pig! (y)

7. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    I don't think it will make much of a difference how long you wait. ;)

8. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Job done! Took car in yesterday morning and they called about noon to tell me it was all finished. No problems, brakes feel great just as they did before.

9. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Mine has always gone to the floor if I apply steady pressure both before and after the recall was accomplished, car off or in "Ready" makes no difference. Don't know what happens if I pump them because I haven't done that. I think your dealer is telling you the truth. If you want to check it out ask to try it in one of the new cars on the lot.

10. billnchristy

billnchristy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    I took mine in yesterday at 730. Guy said it would be 2hrs. I knew that was a lie but figured on 4-6. At 12 I called just to check status and found out the only new booster they had was damaged. They overnighted a new one in and I kept the loaner Corolla they gave me. Still haven't called about it being done yet.

11. pcs

pcs Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

I just had my Prius IV done today. Three hours to complete. The one disappointment was that either they did not use or could not use a special battery to maintain my settings. I think they should have told me in advance that the settings would be reset to factory. My satellite radio, AM and FM will have to be reprogrammed. My mileage history and other dash info is reset. Monday, I will call the service manager to see why this happened. At the minimum it would be good customer relations to make a disclosure as what we might expect. Otherwise all went well and everyone was very courteous.

12. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    ^^It is standard procedure to disconnect the 12V battery any time you work on this car. If you would have read any of these posts prior to going you would have known this.

13. billnchristy

billnchristy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Got my car back at 4pm today, not sure if it is just voodoo or new fluid but the brakes feel more solid.

Was told I got the last one and there are 150 backordered already.

14. FLP

FLP Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I had mine done Sunday. My only complaint, is that the brakes are noisier. It took 4 hours on Sunday to replace the pump and I spent 2 hours today to be told that this pump is louder. I did take a short ride in a new Prius and did hear their brakes, but mine now makes the hum much more frequently when stopping. The good news is that I don't feel that slip that I used to when going over a speed bump and then pressing on the brake.

15. FLP

FLP Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I had mine done Sunday. My only complaint, is that the brakes are noisier. It took 4 hours on Sunday to replace the pump and I spent 2 hours today to be told that this pump is louder. I did take a short ride in a new Prius and did hear their brakes, but mine now makes the hum much more frequently when stopping. The good news is that I don't feel that slip that I used to when going over a speed bump and then pressing on the brake.

16. gliderman

gliderman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    And the bad news is that they may have screwed up your traction control and anti-lock brake function.

17. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I went over a recessed manhole cover after getting my recall completed and I still felt the transition from regen to friction braking, so mine is still there, which is what I expected.

The transition time from disabling regen braking to friction braking is controlled by software and this was upgraded during the earlier firmware upgrade campaign to reduce this transition timing.

I am not sure how changing the brake booster pump assembly could affect the software transition timing.

18. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Just a tip for anyone who got the service: look over your windshield wiperarms, and any of the bottom of windshield trim carefully. They pull all that stuff to get in there. Our wiper arms got a little chewed up, not bad.

gliderman likes this.
  19. wetback1

wetback1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Got my recall repair done today. Dropped car off at 8:00 and it wasn't done until 3:30. Service rep told me this was the second one they'd done and they both took 6 hours. I get the impression there was some training going on. I looked under the hood and although I'm pretty mechanically proficient there was nothing there aside from the ABS controller that looked half assed familiar. If there even IS a master cylinder, where is it? What a nightmare to work on! Service rep did mention that cowl, wipers, etc have to be removed to get at the assembly.

Interesting things to note: When I took it in for the inspection, yes power was disconnected and presets/info lost. They also moved everything in the hatch so I assumed they had to access the battery connections in the spare tire well. Being somewhat (?) intelligent I removed the stuff in the hatch as well as the tray above the spare. When I picked the car up, they had folded the rear seat down and picked up everything that had been on the floor in the front and rear seats. ???? Once again, all presets/info was lost.

The booster had been replaced, and my work order references 1 # 04002-20247 pump assy, brk bo and 1 #C009-00126 DOT3 brake fluid. After reading the posts here I had hoped the fluid would be flushed as I'd been putting this off until 100000 K (car is currently at 98000). I looked at the bleeder screws on the calipers and they have not been touched - by my standards a brake flush should be all the way back to the calipers so I honestly don't think the brakes have been flushed. The fluid in the reservoir looked lighter colored than before. Can anyone who has had Toyota flush their brakes comment on this?

For what it's worth I thought the brakes were more touchy than before. Pedal feel to me was the same. Although the 2010 Corolla they loaned me was not a terrible car, it's sure no Prius...

20. drive till it HERTZ

drive till it HERTZ New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

The brakes were more touchy at first ...the second day they got better. I never looked at the bleeders to see if they were
    opened. More noise from the pump.