1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Door Open (Ajar) warning coming on when leaning against door

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Craig_T, Sep 27, 2014.

1. Craig_T

Craig_T New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have a 2008 standard Prius. Every time I go around a right hand turn and my body leans against the driver's door the Door Ajar warning light comes on. I've checked for any kind of free play in the door and it seems securely latched. Where is the door open sensor and does anybody have any suggestions about a cause and the fix for this problem?

2. hchu1

hchu1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Open the door and look at the body frame, look for a black rubber covered spring loaded button. That should be the switch that activates dash panel light and alarm. I can't be precise because my wife has the car now, I looked at our Prius v and it is located near the rear of the frame.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    all i can think is that the switch (button) is not pushing in far enough and pressure on the door is enough to release it. hopefully, it's adjustable. funny that it's happening after 6 years, maybe there is some wear or damage.

4. hchu1

hchu1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Check the plastic housing the switch is in, it may have cracked where it is anchored to the frame.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    good point.

6. Craig_T

Craig_T New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks a lot. I feel like an idiot. I looked right at that switch and thought it was a solid piece of rubber acting like a bumper.