1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Down-Hill brake assist "B"

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by SuperABM, Nov 13, 2012.

1. SuperABM

SuperABM Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    I
    I took my Prius c up the mountain to go snowboarding, (it surprisingly had no problem accelerating uphill by the way).

On the way down I decided to put the Prius onto the "B" position (I remember the dealership telling me to use it for when your going downhill). Right away I noticed that the Prius seemed to drag a bit and I didn't have to press the break pedal nearly as much as I had been.

Here are my questions

Does this mode need to be used under a certain speed because I was going anywhere from 25-40 and I noticed the engine seemed a bit overly noisy almost like its overworking itself.

Also should I worry about the battery overcharging because I heard that the Prius batteries work best not over or undercharged, I don't want to mess up my battery!

P.s. I got 37 mpg uphill and 99.9 down hill and I'm not the type of person that drives all extra slow either ..

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    SuperABM likes this.
  3. SuperABM

SuperABM Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    I

Thanks!.. Now when you say it won't overcharge do you mean it won't overcharge while using "B" or it won't overcharge period?

4. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    It won't over charge period, as the long answer says, it will switch to engine braking once the battery is full.

SuperABM likes this.
  5. SuperABM

SuperABM Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    I
    Thanks! Are you a Toyota mechanic? I read the other thread you posted in and you seem to know quite a bit about the Prius.

6. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    No, I am a network consultant. I spend hours each day driving to customers and trying to visualize what my car is doing. Over the years I have experimented to try to prove my theories, but they are just my best theory. If the roads were busier, I would have less time to model the processes in my car. Once I get to the customer, I model their network, trying to visualize what they have done wrong.

I spend a great deal of time alone in my head.

ChinchillaGirl and ftl like this.
  7. Rob.au

Rob.au Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    i-Tech
    Network engineer for a telco here. I drive a desk, but I so hear you! ;)