1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Driver's seat height safety problem

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Bruce vanNorman, Jun 2, 2013.

1. Bruce vanNorman

Bruce vanNorman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I am looking for solutions to a driver's seat height (2013 Prius 2) safety problem. The seat lowers adequately for me (6'2") but does not raise enough for my wife (5'3"). I have worked out the biometrics with string, tape, spirit levels, and lots of measurements. Basically, we need a 5.5" height adjustment range. The manual seat mechanism provides only 3" of the necessary adjustment. I will be borrowing a friends 2012 Prius 5 to see the the motorized driver's seat is any better. I've looked at automotive seat cushions (a'la tush cush) but I can't get any cushion compression data that will assure a stable (not wobbly), net 2.5" gain.
    - This problem has to do with visibility. I have no problems with my eyeballs at 4" below the top of the visor. My wife has a terrible problem with visibility - she is unable to judge relative velocity and acceleration of other vehicles in the right hand lane - the so called "blind-spot" area. She can see them but cannot judge where they are relative to the car. We did some experiments (static) and the problem was highly mitigated when her eyeballs were elevated to the same 4" below the visor top (the test rig would not be safe (unstable) while driving). I have access to a couple of other prii and all are set to the 4" down point for their respective drivers. This is a safety issue and not one of comfort - as all the driver's seat cushion advertisement's target. Any suggestions?

Rbjr likes this.
  2. Feri

Feri Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi Bruce,

I had similar problems for different reasons with an older model Camry. I made spacers and used longer bolts to lift the seat about 2". on the Prius the rear attachment is horizontal to the car floor so you would need a spacer that bolted to the car floor and then to the seat's support. I would get an engineer to do this to ensure that the seat anchorage remains safe.

Feri

3. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Raising the seat as suggested above is an obvious solution. However, 5'3" is basically the average height for women and there are lots of them driving the Prius with no problems.

4. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Double post

5. Jonny Zero

Jonny Zero Giggidy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I'd think Japanese women are even shorter. I often thought Japanese cars are less ergonomic for Americans because of the difference in average height, and (shame on us) weight, of the populations.

6. xPETEx

xPETEx Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    This seems odd to me. I'm 6'2, my wife 5'2. We both drive with the seat all the way down and she has no issues. If you don't mind being closer to the ceiling I'd suggest adding 2.5" of high density foam to the base of the seat (under the seat cover).

7. Feri

Feri Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

I think OP is suggesting his wife has a visual disability.

milkman44 likes this.
  8. Bruce vanNorman

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    ---
    Raising the seat, in a permanent manner, doesn't help because I need the seat at the bottom of its current vertical range. We share the car and the driver's seat goes through two to three height cycles (max up, max down) per day.

My analysis (I am an engineer :) of the anecdotal data is;
    - My wife claims no visibility problems with either the 2013 Camry or Accord. Which leads me to believe that the Prius's lack of wrap around windshield and wrap around rear window is a proximate mode of failure. She reports that the very thick roof support posts (fore and aft) create "blind spots". She says that she almost hit a bicyclist who was hidden by the front right support post.
    - I am thinking of installing a plastic Fresnel lens on the right front "port" hole window. This will increase the forward visibility "beam" spread by 17 degrees and increase the downward "beam" spread to 37 degrees, net. Allowing curb visibility down to 2' of the car. But, that is a semi-related issue.
    - Based on various posts, a Prius driver is much more dependent on the mirror system for rearward visibility. Also, the curvature of the passenger side mirror seems a bit more radical than other vehicles (I haven't measured the radius of curvature), and thus may be more distorted than usual.

In any case, the numerical data we collected allows my wife to more accurately place objects seen via the mirror system when she is elevated to where her eye level is 4" down from the stated reference point. This requires a seat height range of 5.5" to accommodate both of us. She reports that the 1" height gain (after compression) due to a seat cushion helps. I just need to find a suitable seat cushion that provides a net 2.5" of vertical gain. Does anybody know of a source?

Thanks.

9. PLSPUSH

PLSPUSH Active Member

my wife is 4'11" and has no problems driving the car...are you sure your wife really wants to drive the car?

milkman44, ChaiLove, WE0H and 2 others like this.
  10. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    This is a common problem with many of us, not just people of short stature. We compensate by becoming more aware of our surroundings in those areas.

WE0H likes this.
  11. Feri

Feri Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

I'm only 5'7" but I have very large thighs (not fat, ex Olympic style weight lifter). I find the height of the squab makes me sit too deep and consequently there is too much pressure under my thighs. I have folded a large towel and it is now permanently trapped in position under our Clazzio seat covers and gives me just the right amount of lift so I don't lose circulation in my legs.

12. Blu-ray

Blu-ray Blizzard Brigade #215

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  13. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Does your medical provider offer a selection of seat cushion wedges for people dealing with minor back pain? I used a thin one in a previous car, but not in this car. The spouse uses a thicker one in her car, and brings it along on long trips in the Prius where she will be driving.

If you lived in a Group Health Cooperative service area, I'd point to its Take Care Store. I don't believe you need to be a covered member to buy items from this shop, located in some GHC facilities. But the same items should also be available elsewhere.

14. Bruce vanNorman

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It's primarily her car. It replaces her 1992 Honda Accord, which was stolen. I sold my Honda CRX a few years ago as I didn't use it. I've been retired for 15 years.

15. Bruce vanNorman

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for the reference. There are no medical issues. I'll look into GHC resources - the main facility is just a few miles away. Current thought is to commission a local re-upholsterer to construct something suitable. After all, what is needed is just a thick, firm seat cushion that compresses to around 2.5".
    The main problem is lack of information (thickness & firmness specifications) from the various manufacturers.

16. Bruce vanNorman

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks, looks very promising. The local trail (Burke-Gilman) passes by their warehouse. A local outlet couldn't be too far away. A fantastic price, especially if it works.

17. Bruce vanNorman

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Have ordered:
    Large Medium-FIRM Wellness Seat Cushion (Size: 18" x 14" x 1-3/4" to 3-1/2". Color: Black)
    Sold by TravelMate
    From Amazon. It should work for 160 lbs, but if it doesn't, I can replace some of the "furniture grade" foam with REI blue foam - a closed cell foam pad that doesn't compress much (1/2" for a sleeping pad). Should arrive in a week or two. Am a bit apprehensive, since, according to one write-up, it is inadequate for 200 lbs and I really want 2.5" of additional lift (5.5" total).
    - I should have used "drivers booster cushion" as my search strategy.
    - The 27 full up / down seat pumps with the manual adjustment 2 - 3 times per day is getting quite annoying but $4k is a lot to pay for power up/down drivers seat. The other differences between the 2 and 4 are of no interest.

Thank you all for your help. I will post the results.

Rbjr and ockevin like this.
  18. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    My wife is 5'3" and doesn't have a problem driving the Prius 3 with manual seat adjustment FWIW. At some point, raising the driver position with a cushion will result in an uncomfortable reach to the pedals, especially the gas.

Edit: Reread your OP, have you had her vision thoroughly checked by an ophthalmologist?

19. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Maybe she needs something like this?

Hood mounted blindspot mirror

It would allow her to see everything in the blindspot as well as the side of your car, which should make judging speed and relative distance easier for her. I've seen these mounted on cars driven by people who have problems with vision, difficulty turning their head to check traffic, etc.

Biggest benefit is you don't have to deal with cushions that might affect how stable she is on the driver's seat. I would be concerned how the seatbelts would perform on someone who's seated on a moveable cushion, as well as the previously mentioned issue of pedal reach.

20. FranklinS

FranklinS Ach crivens ye scunners!

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The biggest bang for buck will be getting her seat level higher but here are a couple of suggestions.

Being of the lesser vertical persuasion I just went out to my Prius to check visibility. What I had a difficult time doing was getting over the R and L front visibility. What I found was doing a conscious looking at the R front windshield, the triangular glass, and over and slightly in back of the R side mirror. It takes an effort to get it into my body memory to do it. I do the same on the L side. That took care of the the front vision.

The side vision is more of a challenge. The headrest does not allow a smaller person to see in back of the pillar. The good news is that it can be very quickly removed and then replaced when there is a passenger. I turn my head quite a bit when changing lanes. In fact, I always turn my head twice and more of a rotational turn than most people. I depend on my R sideview a lot less than my L. My rearview mirror covers better on the R side.

It is possible to get a flat R mirror through import sources, although I would not recommend it. In fact I am in the process of ordering a convex aspherical lens for the L side out of Germany.
    The steering wheel does not allow for enough closer travel for a few shorter people. Unfortunately there is no solution for that other than to extend and tilt.

Here is a news flash: Us short people often lie about how tall we are. ;)