1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Driver's seat hurts my legs and butt. Can you raise the back side?

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by Joiede, Jun 30, 2014.

1. Joiede

Joiede New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I just bought a new Prius V model two. Love everything about the car but the seat.
    It is rock hard and because my butt is lower than my knees, my thighs press on the forward part of the seat, causing my legs and butt to ache if I drive more than fifteen minutes. (I am 5'3" and 115 lbs).

I've spent hours looking for the right cushion on line, but none is right... mainly too wide for the seat - doesn't take into account the way the Prius seat is depressed in the middle.

The seat adjustments allow for forward/back, up/down - but no tilt to raise the butt end.

Has anyone figured out a remedy for this? I know I'm not alone. Help!!

2. FCLowell

FCLowell New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I had the opposite problem; being tall (6'5") all my weight was on my butt, none on my thighs. I improved things by shimming the forward seat track attachments up with several washers and longer bolts, about 3/8-1/2 inch. You could do the same with the rear attachments, effectively lowering the front of the seat.

Pete

3. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    The seat tilts forward or back when you raise or lower it.

4. Zrkia

Zrkia Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    On my 2012 v three, pulling the lever to raise the seat only raises the back, so the more you raise it, the more it tilts forward. I hate this feature, but it is perfect for you.

5. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    My wife is also 5' 3" and 115, but she doesn't have any problems with our hatchback's drivers seat.

6. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I had the opposite issue - I'm 5'10" 160 lbs. I like to sit higher but the butt end of the seat rises higher when I raise the seat and I lose thigh support. Try raising the height of the seat and see if that helps.

7. mickey513

mickey513 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The seats have been a "comfort problem" for many on the Prius for well over a decade.

8. TMosh

TMosh Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I also found the 2013 Prius v seat too hard after a hour or so. I am 72 years, 5'6" tall, and weigh 152 pds. My solution, as it was for our 2006 Honda CRV, is the memory foam seat from Costco at about $20. They are not always available and last time I saw them in Costco, I bought 4 of them. I use 2 in car and 2 in house office. The are just shy of the same width of the seat and shorter than the seat by about 2 inches - I think just about perfect.

9. jimdoyle56@gmail.com

[email protected] Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My wife has exactly the same problem in our 2012 PriusV. I don't see any easy solution offered in this thread. Yesterday, right after returning the 500 miles from our summer home, she bought a 2014.5 Camry XLE specifically to get the heated power front seats, which can easily adjust so that one's knees are below one's butt. We'll be looking in back stores for a hard memory foam cushion that will raise the butt. Isn't it time for Prius to address this problem? Is there a V with heated power seats coming. I'll trade for it. Jim Doyle

10. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Always has been, the model 5.

11. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    I have exactly the opposite reaction, I wish for more thigh support or at least variable height front of the seat. (I'm 6' but long waisted and I have the seat all the way back.) But the solution for all situations is some fancy 14 way seat with lots of motors and weight which is sort of contrary to the Prius design for efficiency philosophy.

Despite this, I prefer to take the v on 250/350 mile trips (one way with one driver) in preference to an Avalon with those adjustable seats. My wife prefers the Avalon. That is why we have 2 different cars. We both sampled the cars before we bought and choose based on how we felt the cars felt and met our wants/needs.