1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Driver's Side Windshield Wiper Head Nut Cover

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Geneva Prius, Dec 8, 2013.

1. Geneva Prius

Geneva Prius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My 2012 Prius, with 23,000 miles, has already gone through two windshield wiper head nut cover - part #8529213010. It looked like the first one had come off while driving. The dealer tried to charge me $5 but I asked that it be covered under warranty. It was. I was cleaning the car this morning, and the cover came off again - not more than 6 months since the first one. I found that two very thin ribs inside the cap had broken off. This is obviously a design/manufacturing defect. Anyone else have that problem?

2. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    No, I have NOT had this problem on my car.

It is my conjecture that it is the particular position on one of the six points on the hex of the nut holding the wiper arm to the shaft that breaks off the plastic prongs.

The fact that it happened repeatedly, would mean that the dealer's service department just keeps replacing the cover without examining the root of the problem.

I would suggest that either you or the dealer's service department loosen and then retighten the nut so that the hex points will not likely land in the same position of the circle as before, but another position that would not likely cause the cover's plastic "fingers" to break off again.

3. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

I've owned several Gen III Prius, as has my dad, and we have never had this problem.

I agree with Mike that replacing the cover over and over without the technician actually using brain power to troubleshoot the root cause will not remedy your problem.

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Do you know if the dealership might have taken the wipers off? It's a requirement to get at some things towards back of the engine bay. The 3rd gen brake booster recall for example. If they had to do something like that it would be in your service records, there would be a paper trail that they'd taken it off at some point. Perhaps damaged at that time?

5. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Not likely, unless the tech is a real dolt!

It's more likely the position of the nut, since it would place a particular "stress riser" that bears on a the plastic "finger" that would cause it eventually to snap.

The nut is a J.I.S specification M10x1.25 flange nut with 14mm wide flats on the hex. The plastic cover is must likely made of ABS (acrylonitrile butadiene styrene) plastic first developed by Eastman (under the trade name "Tenite").

Engineering failures are almost always more than one parameter coming together in a "one of a kind" situation.

Repositioning the nut will most likely alleviate the situation.

The fact that it happened twice means that the only "significant" variable is the position of the wiper shaft fastening nut. Not likely, but the nut might have a particular defect in that one of the 60 degree hex corners might have been deformed in either the manufacturing process or its installation. That kind of defect would also place undue stress on the particular plastic "finger" that snapped. Without examining the nut, I cannot be sure.

Not to brag, but to add credence to my suggestion is that I have over 30 plus years of accident and failure analysis in many types of mechanical systems.

Attached Files:

6. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It would certainly help if the OP posted a macro (closeup) picture of the arm/nut assembly.

SCH-I535