1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Drives me nuts....

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by parrotlover, Sep 18, 2013.

1. parrotlover

parrotlover New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Correct me if I'm wrong here please. I don't mean to start an argument or anything like that.

BUT, it drives me nuts when other posters say things like, "Oh, you drive 75-80MPH on the hwy? The Prius isn't for you." Or, "you only have a 5 minute drive to work? The Prius isn't for you."

It drives me nuts because in any other car, whether it be a Subaru sedan or a Jeep, going 75mph isn't going to result in the best gas mileage either and the first 5 minutes of a drive, with ANY type of car is going to suck. BUT, the Prius sucks LESS than other cars. So instead of getting 18mpg in the first 5 minutes with your Subaru, a Prius may get 30mpg. Even though it'll take awhile for gas savings to pile up, you are STILL saving. AND I have read a lot of posters who only have a 5 minute drive to work and have a Prius tend to allow themselves to travel more often because of the gas savings. I understand taking the time to educate potential buyers, but let the potential buyer make their own decision.

Yes, I may drive 75mph on the hwy. Yes, I may get 43mpg instead of 50mpg, but just because I'm getting less than the EPA estimates doesn't mean it's not for me. If I drove my old Mazda Protege, I'd be getting like 25mpg going 75mph. I think it's worth it, and I think other people think it's worth it too.

Koreaneugene, Bob Hahn, Nora and 6 others like this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    agreed. it's usually in response to, 'why am i only getting...'

3. Eclipse1701d

Eclipse1701d Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring

LOL! Good post... Do you feel better now? :D

4. stevemcelroy

stevemcelroy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Nope, you are spot on - you are getting better mileage than you would in just about any other car. Are you maximizing the mileage you are getting - no, but it does not sound like that is something that matters to you.

5. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Thought you were about to say something about the seats, driving position, reverse beep or lack of power..

The Prius will improve anyone's MPG. I guess most Prius owners on this forum are into maximizing mpg! All of nothing!

BTW, I guess the Prius isn't for me neither since I'm getting worse MPG than you! :ROFLMAO: But thats only with 3 fills up..

I went from 23 mpg to 40's.. I'm happy about that part but miss the power.. :(

6. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  7. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I agree with the OP.

WE0H likes this.
  8. DtEW

DtEW Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You're wrong!

(Just kidding ;) )

That is exactly right. The Prius isn't only for the enviro-pious. The remarkably low drag of the car makes it a better choice than others for higher-speed cruising as long as you don't have to run the powerplant way out of its efficiency peak.

I'll make the admission that I didn't buy the Prius to save the planet. Hell, I slapped on a set of Clazzio meat-covers the first thing (and yes, I like eating meat as much as sitting on it). I did it to re-enable the copious amounts of exploring and adventuring that I used to do when I was younger, and gas was cheaper. It's not purely a monetary thing, but a load-off-my-mind thing, like a season pass for a ski resort. There's a happiness to not having to budget for premium gas at $4+ gallon @ 22-23 mpg.

That all said, I do end up cruising the Prius at 60-65 mph because the car is so happily smooth and serene at that speed relative to my other car, which I used to cruise at 78 mph (just off of the "whole" 80 mph to reduce highway patrol attention) because there really wasn't much serenity to be found at any highway speed.

9. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    43 MPG is respectable .

10. nwprius

nwprius Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
  11. gliderman

gliderman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    There is no car on the road (I can afford or would drive) that gets better gas mileage than the Prius. And I dont get 50 mpg! I drive like a bat out of hell and get average 43-47 mpg per tank. No other car can do that!

Prius is for everyone that wants to get the best gas mileage. Fast, slow, uphill, downhill, hot, cold, short trip, long trip, whatever, Prius is the best.

WE0H, DomoDriver, JMD and 1 other person like this.
  12. Mobalized

Mobalized Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Totally with you on this. Personally (and I mean no disrespect to anyone) I dislike people thinking they are high and mighty because they drive a Prius. It's a great car for good gas MPG though my Honda Del Sol isn't very far behind it.

13. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Gliderman's drunk in the Prius Kool Aid. :)

It's is a good car I agree

14. -1-

-1- Don

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    :)More commonly known as, and preferred by Prius drivers and owners as "smug".

15. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Re: "BUT, the Prius sucks LESS than other cars." I would not actually say that as it's not correct on a relative basis. There is a disproportionate drop in fuel efficiency in prius in short drives or high speeds due to hybrid components not working well in those conditions.

16. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well, many owners bought the Prius because they wanted to maximize their fuel economy and paid the premium for the HSD. You can buy a lot of gas for 3-4,000 less the cost of say a rolla or something.

17. mad-dog-one

mad-dog-one Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Could it be that a practical car like the Prius is not be suitable for people who are "nuts?"

18. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I thought that was a prerequisite.

19. prev93

prev93 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Ignore the naysayers and enjoy your Prius!!

WE0H likes this.
  20. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I see this all the time on tdiclub: If you're driving high speed long distances the hybrid's out of its element--you need a diesel. This, despite the fact that the diesel does no better for mileage at speed, uses more expensive fuel and does worse under all other conditions.