1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Driving and triangle lit up with check engine: Drove Fine: Is this invertor coolant pump?

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by MilkyWay, Jul 22, 2016.

1. MilkyWay

MilkyWay Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It's been over 90 degrees. Triangle lit up with check engine and I know the invertor coolant pump is a common failure, so hoping that is the culprit.

How do I know for sure? I could take to O'Reillys and scan it to see if I get related codes...but don't want to drive until fixed.

On my previous gen 1 prius the pump failed and it drove poorly...lacked power (from what I remember)...Maybe even cut off once or twice...

This prius described in this thread drove perfectly normal but it just happened a half mile ago! Please advise!

2. MilkyWay

MilkyWay Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well, thanks to the forum, I found my old post from 3 years ago!!! Interestingly enough, last time it happened it was also July when it gets very hot....And same dash lights....Only difference is I did not scan the code yet but pretty sure it is invertor coolant pump....Here is screenshot of old thread:

[​IMG]

3. MilkyWay

MilkyWay Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Next question: Here is a how-to video (looks like you have to partly remove front bumper):

Is it necessary to remove bumper? How long if everything goes smoothly...Please say 2.5 hours or less!

4. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Certainly could be the pump, but it could also be something much easier to fix.
    Get the code read and it will point you in the right direction, hopefully saving a lot of wasted time and money.

5. MilkyWay

MilkyWay Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'll drive it to O'Reilleys but I'm about 100% positive it's the pump. Exact same look (screen, triangle, CEL) as my old prius that I posted a thread about 3 years ago. Was actually getting ready to order the part online but I suppose I'll scan the code first.

6. MilkyWay

MilkyWay Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well, that was a wasted trip, if it's over 90 degrees and you get those 3 things simultaneously (CEL top right, red triangle top left, dash screen saying warning) it is the pump.

Code was P3130 Inverter Cooling System Malfunction.

7. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Getting things confirmed is not a wasted trip.
    What if it were a hybrid battery code?
    Or a ground fault error code?
    Or transaxle code?
    Blundering ahead and replacing the pump would have been wasted time and money.

Now you are armed with confirmation and can address the issue with confidence.

MilkyWay likes this.
  8. MilkyWay

MilkyWay Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I just didn't want to damage hybrid battery or motor driving it....seemed risky.

Shop down the street charges $185 labor but I was thinking of having my cousin do it (he'll probably charge $100 or slightly more if it becomes a nightmare)...You think he can knock out the job in under 3 hours? Shop said 2.5 hours. Also, do I need to buy coolant?

9. MilkyWay

MilkyWay Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Couple questions on this job...installed pump but check engine /red triangle still there, how do i reset? Reservoir has turbulance now so i believe it did the trick.

Number 2, we lost maybe 1 ounce of fluid, barely anything...we did not bleed the system...is it necessary and would i notice if air was in system? Sounds normal to me....