1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Driving with no coolant = replace hybrid battery?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by jonbru13, Jul 6, 2015.

1. jonbru13

jonbru13 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Here's my situation:

I have a 2006 Toyota Prius that I brought in to the Toyota dealership on 6/29/15 and everything checked out fine. All of the fluid levels were good but they recommended getting my transmission fluid flushed since I had 121000 miles and had not had it done since I bought it with 108000 miles on it.

I took my Prius on 7/2/15 to Jiffy Lube and had them do an oil change and transmission fluid flush. After driving away, my check engine light and big red triangle light came on while driving on the highway (about 5 miles away). I immediately turned around and went back to Jiffy Lube where they said that the check engine code was related to the coolant system and my coolant was low so they filled the car up with enough coolant until I could come back and get it completely flushed and re-filled the next week. The check engine lights got shut off and I drove the car home with no problem after that.

On Sunday, 7/5/15, I drove the car for the first time since taking it to Jiffy Lube and the lights turned on again about 2 miles into my drive. I only drove about 8 miles total and when I got home, I checked and noticed the coolant was below the "low" line which I assumed is why the lights turned back on. On Monday, 7/6/15, I took the car back to Jiffy Lube and got a pressure test and the coolant flushed and re-filled but the technician said that the there was no leak and that the check engine light was now P0A80 which is the "replace hybrid battery" code and I would need to take it somewhere else since they do not do that.

I took it to another technician and he told me that the battery and fan "probably" needed replaced.

I can hear the battery fan running like it is working really hard when I turn the car on and it does not look like the hybrid battery is holding a charge. Would I be able to hear the fan if it needed replaced?

Does anyone else find it odd that my inspection on 6/29/15 said my levels were fine but then I had a problem AFTER Jiffy Lube worked on it? Do you think that they could have flushed my coolant by mistake when flushing my transmission fluid and then I drove the car without any coolant which in turn caused my engine to overheat which caused it to shut off and only use my electric engine which then led to my hybrid battery being overworked and now possibly needing to be replaced? Just trying to get to the bottom of this. Any input is helpful.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    not at all. isn't that sop for jiffylube? unfortunately, we can't determine what was done or not done at j/l. have you considered taking it to a dealer for evaluation? btw, welcome to priuschat!
    and do not go back to the guy who said the battery and fan 'probably need to be replaced.'

you can't really 'overwork the battery, because it will only go a mile or so at best from full charge and shut down. one possibility is that the fan is clogged,and the battery isn't cooling properly.

#2 bisco, Jul 6, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2015
  3. jonbru13

jonbru13 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Not at all to which question? I asked a few.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    not surprised that something bad happened at jiffy lube. but not necessarily. see my edit above.

5. jonbru13

jonbru13 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Would I be able to check out the fan myself? It sounds like it is running as it is really loud in the back of my car while I am driving, which I never noticed before today. And you're saying that if the hybrid battery was no good, you don't think I'd be able to drive it around town like I have been?

No, I have not taken it to a Toyota dealer yet as this all happened today.

Thanks for your help.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    are you sure the engine isn't running? you can google a youtube on cleaning the fan, there are threads here with pics and explanations, and 'luscious garage' also has a diy i think. it's not hard, you just have to learn how to remove a few interior panels. it runs from the vent on the side of the back seat to the 12 volt battery area in the right rear of the hatch, then down to the battery.

7. jonbru13

jonbru13 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, the engine is running now. But I don't think it was running when I was low on coolant. I think I was driving on the electric motor alone which looked like it was draining my hybrid battery. All my fluid levels are good now and it appeared the hybrid battery was recharging while I drove but it did not appear to be retaining its charge. The lights are still on my dashboard.

I will look up how to clean the fan. Would I hear it running if it wasn't working though? Because it is quite loud right now.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it's working, but can't cool enough because of clogging. make sure the back seat vent is clear. i'm not trying to give you false hope, it could be the battery. best to try the low hanging fruit first tho.

9. jonbru13

jonbru13 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, it may just need cleaned. I'll look into it.

10. jonbru13

jonbru13 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It feels like air is coming out of my back seat vent. By the way, should there be a filter under the grill?

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    no filter, and air should be entering, not exiting. it exits in the 12v battery area.

12. jonbru13

jonbru13 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Okay, so I should not feel any air coming out of the vent? I bet my fan is the problem.

13. geekwithoutacause

geekwithoutacause Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Jiffy lube is the worst.
    First of all, did they use the toyota ws tranmission fluid ? That's the only fluid for the prius transmission.
    Second, did they top off the coolant with the toyota specific coolant? I seriosuly doubt both.
    And last but not least, the transmission drain and the coolant drain are very close together. It would not surprise me if jiffy lube drained the wrong one.

bisco likes this.
  14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    do you carry any pets?

15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you might get a little recirq around the vent, but it should not be blowing at you. just because you can feel air doesn't mean it's coming out. put a tissue on it and see if it stays in place.

16. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    At this point, I would take it to a Toyota dealership's service department, bring along the Jiffy Lube documentation, and make notes of anything said verbally.

Jiffy took you from fine to fubar in a couple of days, don't throw good money after bad. You more'n likely have the wrong transaxle fluid and coolant in there now, for starters.

alekska likes this.
  17. jonbru13

jonbru13 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Couldn't tell you. Is it only safe to take the Prius to the dealership for maintenance? They are just so expensive...

18. jonbru13

jonbru13 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Okay, I'll look into that. But does that explain why my hybrid batter code would be on?

19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    no, the p3080 is the battery. could be the cooling, could be a cell or two, could be the ecu. toyota software will help determine.

20. jonbru13

jonbru13 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Okay, so cleaning the fan, although it may need done, may not be the solution to this problem?