1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

DRL's on the v and any other 'missing' features?

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by mudmanrv, May 15, 2012.

1. mudmanrv

mudmanrv Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Maybe someone can shed some light on this one ...
    I've been browsing the Toyota site and can't seem to find if the V or new 2012 gen 3 has DRL's. or at the very least, marker lights that are on when the car is in drive.

I would be suprised if they don't have something - as I thought it was some federal mandated standard like traction control...etc.

My 2000 Blazer has DRL's... and auto on/off headlights. I see you only get auto on/off in the v5... and to me, some of those features - should be in the lower models as standard? Also, are the headlights now back to halogens and not HIDs? it appeared that doing google searches on prius issues, a lot of people had issues with HIDs or their ballasts.

Am I off base here? anything else missing that should be there?

Potentially puting a deposit down on a v3 this week... still deciding color between pearl and dark grey - both with dark grey interior. or the standard prius - 3 trim as well. i don't really need nav, but wanted the entune - hope it's worth it. i have a droid phone that does a pretty good job at GPS but, it's screen is pretty small. though i do have a droid tablet as well.... hmmm.... decisions.

2. rcturner

rcturner Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    No "V"s have DRLs. At least some Gen 3s have them. A friend has a 2012 Gen 3 Level 4 that has them.

3. jabecker

jabecker driver of Prii since 2005

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    All 2012 Gen 3s and Cs have DRLs. Or at least that's what Toyota.com shows. Weird that the V doesn't have them.

4. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    (Toyota has been adverse to DRLs in the US, I am not sure why)

It is worth noting that if you turn on the headlights on your v and just never turn them off, they always hilite your car to others.

Once the car is off and the front doors close, a timer turns off the headlights.
    (so far as I know, all Prius except the c have this feature)

http://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/document/om/OM47784U/pdf/sec_06-02.pdf
    Page 3 of the PDF, page 527 of the manual, show available settings for the timer (if it was me, I would choose 0)

1 person likes this.
  5. mudmanrv

mudmanrv Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks Jimbo -
    any word on the halogen vs. high intensity discharge? just curious...
    again talking 3 not 5 level - so no LEDs.

6. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I know it is illegal (on the US highways) to sell HIDs on any car that did not come with them from the factory, so I have not considered them on the v.

I have HIDs (from the factory) on my Gen 2, Toyota got bad bulbs that fail easy and users are not used to HID failure, vs incandescent 'burnout' so many owners blamed some thing other than the bulbs.

7. reidfm

reidfm Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Hamsar.com produces and sells a DRL Automatic Headlamp System device that can be attached into the wiring harness.
    They responded to my inquiry, stating that they "do not presently have the device for the Prius v ... and please send us the vehicle headlight wiring schematics so our engineering department can review and advise the best module to use."
    Any of you hi-tech guys who could help me? Floyd

jzchen likes this.
  8. Quentin

Quentin Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't get the fascination with DLRs. My 4Runner has them and I never use them. Seems like a waste of energy to me. If I need extra light cast so others can see me, the headlights do the trick.

For those that want them, good luck in your quest.

9. ProximalSuns

ProximalSuns Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    No DRL's and no auto/on/off headlights as standard is a problem across the Prius line.

Having just purchased PriusIII/3 with DRL's and without Auto/on/off headlights and power seats, my advice is get the PriusIII/4 with all of those features. The seats on the Prius III are uncomfortable for many and the power seats fix it. The auto/on/off headlights are essential in my view. DRL's are on the PriusIII/3 and 4.

Nav you are going to get no matter what. It is no good vs. Garmin but same is true on all car navs. At least no hanging GPS with wires and remembering to put it up and take it down.

Definitely get the solar roof. Looks gimmicky at first but it really does work for keeping parked car cool and the sun roof is fun and looks good.

The Heads Up display will be bonus and, if you get as focused on mileage and constantly watching the power usage bar, having in the HUD is a safety feature vs. taking eyes off the road to look at power use.

10. schinia

schinia Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    it was an overcast day w/some rain, my headlights on auto, (sensitivity set at 3 default) the headlights did not come on. i changed the sensitivity to 4 then 5, still didn't come on, then tried 1 and 2, without luck. so i left the sensitivity on 5. any ideas ??

1 person likes this.
  11. rcturner

rcturner Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Mine come on with it being relatively light out.

12. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I have never used auto, but then I never wanted my headlights off, while other cars could hit me.

13. tanasit

tanasit Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    When I am coming out of my garage, the headlight in auto mode will come on only there's no sunlight. I set the sensitivity at 2 and I found out that if I go under the long overpass, it will come on too. You can try covering the sensor with something that the light can't get through or wait until dark. If it still doesn't come on, you may have a problem.

14. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I like this find because even though you are attaching to the wire harness, you don't potentially block incoming air in the front attaching new lamps. It seems that 45035 most imitates the factory design in a reduced output to the high beam bulb. I'm not sure if it is legal to transfer the diagram from the TIS, but next time I renew my account I'll look for them...

15. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    If you ever have the sun very bright and behind you, you'll understand as you look in your mirrors and see these glowing DRLs. They work for this situation, and probably when the sun is in front of you as well, (though the most dramatic time I can recall was when I was having a hard time looking back to change lanes with the sun behind me.)

16. hsnyder

hsnyder Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
  17. schmuly

schmuly Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    WE pick up our Prius v wagon in 2 days, it has DRL, as it is a Canadian version. I'll look to see if it is only a fuse and relay missing from the US version. On July 1 we are going to Spokane and I will pop in to the dealer and try to compare.
    If they let me.

18. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Thank you for doing this. I had an "early" 1999 Lexus GS400 bought in October/November of 1998. It did not have DRLs like the '99s were supposed to. We complained to the dealer and they said there was no way to add it. Would you mind letting us know which light bulb is used as the DRL? The Hamsar option may be a cheaper alternative.

19. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The Philips Daylight 4 and 8 LED DRLs look very good with good reviews on Amazon. Everyone says they are bright, even in daylight, for their intended use.

20. schmuly

schmuly Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Update *** We came back from Spokane yesterday stoped at their Toyota dearership but nobody came out to talk so we went to C'da Idaho to Parker Toyota. A young saleman came out to talk and I told him about the Canada version had DRL and the US version didn't. He said that the US do, I said REALLY???? can you pop the hood so I can look inside the fusebox please. Sure, he did and ,I opened the fusebox and there is a blue relay in the DRL socket.
    ??? Mine has a orange relay but didn't get any # from either. He gave me a Prius v booklet (better than the Canadian version) and we left. So it might be just a relay to plug in if you need DRL. I cannot confirm seeing them on as he did not start the v up, it also was a V with the tech package.

Here are two pics of my fusebox.

Attached Files: