1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

EBH shorted out - not near plug

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by ph43drus, Dec 15, 2010.

1. ph43drus

ph43drus Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I've had an EBH installed in my 2008 Prius for a couple years now. Like many folks have experienced, about a year ago it shorted out just behind the stress relief on the plug. I snipped off the plug and wired on a replacement which worked fine...for about a year.

Well, it's shorted again (continuity between the hot and neutral wires). But when I confidently snipped off the replacement plug and got ready to wire in a new one, the short was still there. :( Didn't see any obvious breaks or damage to the cable, so I started snipping off 1" pieces hoping to get back to good wire...but after about a foot and still shorted, the problem looks to be farther down the circuit and I wanted to keep the cable long enough to use as a snake to pull new cable through if I have to replace the whole thing.

Is there anywhere I can buy just the cable, without buying the whole EBH kit? On the other hand, can the EBH itself short out so that I'd be better off just doing a fresh install?

2. ph43drus

ph43drus Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Bought a new EBH kit, but ended up only needing the cord. Replacing that while leaving the original heater in place seems to have solved the problem.

Frustrating thing: now that it's off the car, for the life of me I can't find a short in the old cord. Checked all three wires, and no continuity between any of them. Tried bending the cord in various places, but still no obvious short. :confused:. Oh well, at least it's fixed.

Followed the suggestion I've seen in other threads of using a short extension cord to bridge between the easily shorted EBH cord and the extension cord feeding electricity from the wall socket. Hopefully this will eliminate stress on the EBH cord so I don't need to crawl under there and cut up my hands yet again.

FWIW, I used a longer extension than most people seem to have; it started as an 8' outdoor rated cord. I cut off the female end, snaked it from the grill to up near the fuse box, where I cut it to length and attached a new female socket. Thought this would be easier to get at up there, and less likely to get wet than a 1' one behind the grill.

I used some teflon-based lubricant on all the male plugs, which makes connnecting/disconnecting as smooth as silk.

1 person likes this.
  3. snookums

snookums Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Glad you got it working again.
    Maybe a voltmeter would reveal the location of a short.

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm surprised you were able to get the new cable on the old core. Now, mine was a couple years older than yours, but when I tried that the orange connector just crumbled in my fingers. In any case, glad you got it working again, not sure I'd still be as in love with my Prius in the winter w/o that EBH.

5. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I would never reuse an old block heater, especially a convection-style heater like on the Prius, FJ, and almost every new Toyota

They do not last very long. I sometimes used my Prius heater, especially at the hobby farm and it only lasted 3 years. Have not used the heater on my FJ as I always have heated parking

6. ph43drus

ph43drus Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    snookums: I'm using a voltmeter (that's how I originally diagnosed the problem when the GFI in my garage tripped). Still can't reproduce the short now that it's off the car, but with the new cable the GFI is happy and the EBH is working. I'm guessing the short was caused by a pinch or bend in the actual install that I'm having trouble reproducing by hand.

efusco: orange connector seems ok on the old cable, but definitely that's a high-stress application - cycling between very low and very high temperature with periodic salt spray. It came out cleanly, and the new cable plugged right into the old core with no problem.

jayman: old core seems to be working fine at least for now. I've been running it almost every morning for 2 years. If it burns out, I've got a free core just sitting here that came with my $60 replacement cable. ;)

7. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Ok hope it works for a long time. I used to routinely change block heaters every 2 years when I changed coolant

Yes that was back in the good old days when we had to change the green stuff every 2 years

8. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Jay,
    I bought an EBH too. I was thinking about hooking the female ac end into a Crylon waterproof single gang with a junction
    that feeds 125v to both the ebh and a battery tender so the 12v battery gets a little lovin' every morning in addition to the block warmer. Just not sure how to handle the ac female end locale? Where's the best place to locate that end please? Thanks.

9. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Were you trying to check it when its plugged into the heater as there's a 33 ohm load across the neutral and hot of the ac plug when its plugged in which is of course the coil in the heater.

10. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Good question. Not a whole lot of room under the Prius hood but try the driver side fender area.

If there is any salt used on the roads, smear some dielectric grease on the male ends