1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Edmunds Long-term Prius c story

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by bwilson4web, May 13, 2013.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    This is probably redundant but it was news to me:
    Source: It Really Does Do 50 MPG - 2012 Toyota Prius c Long-Term Road Test

The whole series is quite entertaining. I'm sure it has been highlighted before but this is a series of weekly essays by the different editors. At the bottom of each page is a link forward and reverse to read the whole store. It certainly gives a better view of the 'Prius c' than anything I had seen before.

Well done Edmunds!
    Bob Wilson

Tideland Prius, cwerdna and minkus like this.
  2. Electric Charge

Electric Charge Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Really tired of the TDI owners hating on the Prius cars, been getting really bad lately. I personally don't care either way, I grew up with turbo diesels, always liked them, but holy crap, these TDI folks thrive on any chance they get to publicly complain/bash/hate/bitch/whatever about a Toyota Prius. 1 comment in that article you linked, and sure enough, it's a TDI owner.

3. jameskatt

jameskatt Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If Volkswagen can only come up with a Diesel-Hybrid. Then we can be talking. Otherwise, The Prius wins by a large margin when it comes to gas mileage.

When it comes to acceleration, 60 mph to 90 mph acceleration, driving around twisty curves, climbing hills, and quietness on the highway, there are points in the TDI's favor. But in terms of mileage, the Prius wins.

Note that the Volkswagen TDI costs only about $680 more in fuel a year compared to the Prius. If you can afford this, then both cars are equivalent in cost to drive.

The Volkswagen TDI does kill you however, with the cost of service and maintenance. This starts once the warranty runs out at 36,000 miles. Then, at 40,000 miles and every 40,000 miles thereafter, you have to pay $900 for service - including a $450 for changing the transmission filter on the automatic.

4. jsfabb

jsfabb Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Whether you can afford it or not still doesn't make it equivalent in cost!

A $900 service fee for every 4oK driven equates to an additional $.0225 per mile. Not very cheap at all! To put it in a Prius perspective, if you paid $3.75/gal and get 50 mpg it would be like getting 15 mpg less per gallon.

$3.75 per gal/50 mpg = $.075 cost per mile.
    $.0225 per mile cost of service / $.075 per mile cost of gas = 30% cost or 15 mpg.

5. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Well it didn't take long for more comments to show up at Edmunds.

Bob Wilson

6. sdtundra

sdtundra Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Also have to factor in the brakes being replaced around roughly 35k on the TDI due to lack of regen. braking.

7. FroggyTaco

FroggyTaco Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The brake pad replacement is very driver dependent.

My prior car, a 08 Kia Rio that was almost always at max GVWR due to me using it as a service "truck" for my spa repair business went 125K before I replaced the factory pads.

Travis

8. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Welp, can't say I'd want to own a Prius c. The 99 HP thing just wouldn't work for me. I'm sure the Jetta TDI feels more solid. Don't know the tech term, but VW uses fully welded seams where the roof joins those metal sections just above the windows that run from hood to behind rear window (what do you call those??)

I'll bet the TDI is likely quieter on highway and the bigger tires must help a lot.

If want max MPG, Prius c is obvious choice, but for more robust car with bad repair reputation, Jetta TDI is it.

btw, I have a stack of receipts proving over 50 at pump on my liftback, mr. VW lover.

9. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    That is OK, there is no requirement at everyone like every car. Just over the years, TDI advocates would often visit Prius forums to 'brag on their ride' following the examples set by:
    • "Green Human" marketing stunt drive, 'Portland to Portland'
    • "Meet the Volkswagens" commercial
    • Various U-Tube 'head to head' stunts

This has been what so many TDI advocates try to deny or challenge.
    Here is mine for our 1.5L, 2003 Prius:
    [​IMG]
    Serious Prius people are interested in all tanks, not just the ones on the right edge. We use the low tanks to learn how to move the subsequent ones to the right. But remember, we've had a lot of history with TDI advocates, over the years, trying to "me too" their mileage.

Here is an earlier chart:
    [​IMG]
    Similar charts can be generated from more recent data. I joined fuelly.com on Monday to look at their data. Their mileage distribution charts show similar patterns as the 2008 graph generated from www.fueleconomy.gov, five years ago.

Although I have visited VW sites in the past, it was to find out if they had similar mph vs MPG charts like this:
    [​IMG]
    It turns out one of the sensible TDI posters had similar, engineering data. But that was many, many years ago and after the information sharing, I have not returned because there was nothing about the TDI that interested me.

VW has figured out that selling to Prius people by insults and low mileage solutions is not very effective . . . but not everyone 'got the memo.' Another thread started from results a marketing company VW hired and shared in a press conference. We can only hope VW took notes from the good advice they bought.

Bob Wilson

10. dipper

dipper Senior Member

My two friends have TDI, and always claim how powerful and money saving their vw are. And how their tdi is so fun to drive. So yesterday when we had lunch, I showed up with my Rav4ev. They were shocked that this was a bigger, faster, and even more fun car than their TDI. And on top of it, fuel is free at our work to recharge. They suddenly could not believe they got a 2nd class car for similar price.

bwilson4web likes this.
  11. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Like that!! ;)

12. Camfab

Camfab Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Your right, the Jetta does feel like an upscale German diesel. Very solid and less road noise by a long shot. Two things have kept me away from the VW brand in general, questionable reliabillity, and cost of service. The Golf TDI which I was figured was the perfect commuter had some electrical gremlin at the dealership where it would not start without pulling the key from the ignition. I stalled the car in a busy intersection (no excuses here except I'm used to a car with massive torque and a heavy clutch) and it wouldn't start up again. We nearly got rear ended three times in about a minute. The car finally started after I removed the key and replaced it. The Golf had quite a bit of road noise compared to the Jetta, but was nimble and the manual trans was smooth as silk. Long story short, the VW is out.

13. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Actually, I've read a lot of good reviews of The Prius c. Seems to me it was just mostly Consumer Reports that got a wooden fiberous plank like material stuck up their sphincter because they stepped back and determined The Prius c looked a lot to them like the Yaris, and they already had given bad reviews to the Yaris.

But it seems to me that whatever negative publicity the Prius c has had to face, it's doing pretty well with the owners and the people, and that is what counts.

bwilson4web likes this.
  14. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The ignition thing isn't a gremlin--it's a feature that I had in all of my Volkswagens. It's supposed to prevent you acccidentally engaging the starter after the engine has started. You have to turn the ignition off, then it will allow you to crank. Removing the key locks the steering column so sometimes that's a bad idea if you you're still in motion.

15. seftonm

seftonm Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The car will not restart until the key is returned to the "off" position, not sure if you tried that or not or whether there actually was a problem with the car.

16. Mark C.

Mark C. New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I drove a new C back in February because I like small cars and from what I can tell, it is the reigning champ on fuel economy and at a better price than the regular Prius. Unfortunately, I did not find it to my liking. Since I wasn't ready to spend all the extra money required to move up to a regular Prius, I bought my 2010 model. I really like the Prius and my wife does too. Wish I'd bought one years ago.

bwilson4web likes this.
  17. rico567

rico567 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    H'm. I've been doing a lot of research on half-a-dozen cars, and I really haven't seen the ragging on the Prius you mention, at least not on TDIclub.com and myturbodiesel.com, which are the two I frequent. Perhaps if you could give me some links.....

OTOH, partisanship exists on every forum, including this one. I was just reading a Ford Fusion Hybrid owner who claimed he was lucky to survive being savaged on a Toyota Camry Hybrid forum, after responding to an invitation to post his views on the FFH. People have to rationalize a large investment.

18. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    This was the first model year of the 1.8L Prius, the standard hatchback of today. If so, you have the same model as my wife's Prius.

Bob Wilson

19. rico567

rico567 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    We're in somewhat the same boat. If the 'c' fit our needs, with that performance we'd already have one in the garage. But the 'v' is the only one that fits, and that brings its fuel economy down into the range of other similarly sized cars. And our new car is going to spend enough miles as a highway cruiser that the downgrading the seats have taken pushed it off the table altogether. It's coming down to either the still to be released Honda Accord (non-PHEV) hybrid, the Ford Fusion Hybrid, or the VW Passat TDI.

20. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus