1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Eibach lowering springs installed

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Scotty Danger, Sep 1, 2011.

1. Scotty Danger

Scotty Danger Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I couldn't be happier with the Eibach Pro Kit! The drop was tasteful, and the wheel gap is gone. I love how the car sits, and it still maintains a nice slight rake. I'll upload more pics tomorrow.

Most importantly, the handling is killer. The springs are the final piece that brings everything together:

-Stiffening plate
    -Tannabe Strut Tower Brace
    -17" wheels with Michelin Primacy MXM4's

Best of all, these mods were extremely cheap. Stiffening plate was $39, Tannabe was $100, springs were $120 used, and wheels were $400 shipped.

I was very pleased with the handling on the freeway drive home. I reset the MPG tracker, and I averaged 55MPG on the 35 mile drive home. So nice to have looks and efficiency.

Attached Files:

2. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Looks awesome!

Now get a rear sway bar. That's my next mod. ;)

Ohh and have fun on the onramps!

3. Scotty Danger

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks man - I'm really happy with it, although I'll probably look into those rear sway bars. The next mod will be the projector retrofit, and possibly some wood accents for the interior

4. HI MPG

HI MPG Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Looks great Scotty! As F8L said, go with the sway bars... avoid the wood accents. My wife has a Gen II, black like yours, with some cheesy dealer installed "wood" stickers. About as faux as 80's era GM plasti-wood interiors. Skip the wood accents... use the $ for the sway, or spacers to lessen the tuck, or tint your taillamps, or get a sharkfin antennae...

5. Agape

Agape Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Nice mod's! Really like the wheels, any chance to post name/ model of the rims as well as fitment details J and ET values?

6. Daves09prius

Daves09prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Wow, that Looks nice!

That’s $400 for just the wheels right? Or where you able to get both rims and tires? 'Cause that's a killer deal! Even if it's just the rims, $400 is a great price. I've been looking for 17" rims, but can't find a good price like that; maybe I'm looking at the wrong tire/wheel dealers? Where did you order yours from? Or did you just get lucky and know someone who was selling rims that would fit a prius?

I'm trying to explain to my wife why it makes sense spend the money to upgrade to 17" rims and tires, I mean if I have to replace the stock tires anyway, why not go ahead and upgrade to 17's for just a little more money? Especially since with the upgraded rims and tires the car will drive in a more precise and controlled manner. Which means the care is safer! -- Makes sense to you right? And well since we’re upgrading the tires why not go ahead and install safer springs? Like the Eibach Pro-kit?

I think I may end up sleeping on the sofa for awhile… Hahahaha in the end it’ll be worth it. Better to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission right?

Did you transfer over your Tire Pressure sensors? or are you just dealing with the warning light on the dash being lit up all the time?

7. caymandiver75

caymandiver75 Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Hahaha nice. Who says you can't have your cake and eat it too? I bet you will surprise a few folks tailing behind you around those off-ramps assuming they can take the turns faster only to realize oh crap better slow down!

Btw.. Does anyone have pics of their Prius lowered on Eibachs and stock wheels? Also curious about the tail light tint mod mentioned here.

8. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That's a nice looking setup. Very subtle.

9. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    What difference in ride did you notice when you are just cruising down the highway or back road and not taking advantage of the handling?

10. Scotty Danger

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Haha great advice!! I was thinking of spacers since I would like the wheels to be a bit further out. Will adding spacers stress the car in any way?? Sharkfin antennae will be purchased soon, and I'd love to do a light tint on the taillights, but I'm worried about getting rear-ended and having crazy people sue me :)

11. Scotty Danger

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I got the rims from Discount Tire Direct on ebay. I was incorrect, looks like it was $488 shipped, which IMHO is still an awesome price. The rims were relatively lightweight too (the cheapest that I could find for the respective weight).

4 NEW 17x7.5 5x100 5x114.3 Drag DR-33 Wheels/Rims | eBay

Costco had the best price for the tires, around $145 each. I used a Michelin coupon, and Costco informed me that they would be raising prices shortly. 215 45R 17. LRR and very decent tread warranty.

I'm a bit slammed at work, but I'll respond to the other questions this evening!

12. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm curious about your true average mpg with those wheels and tires. I have to try pretty hard to get 46mpg on a tank. Granted my commute consists of a 1100 ft. elevation gain so that really hurts.

I may do my FX-R retrofit on monday. If I do I will track my mpg. The drive from my house to the stereo shop is relatively flat so it will give me a better idea of my real mpg when not driving up that damn hill.

13. Scotty Danger

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    F8L: I am totally stumped with my current MPG figures. I'm still holding steady at 55 MPG now, which is ridiculous. Before I put the Eibachs on, I was averaging around 46 (trying relatively hard). I'm driving the exact same route to work that I always do . . . we'll see if this lasts lol. I figured MPG would be worst initially but then it would creep up as the tires were broken in (they are LRR, after all).

Daves09prius: I'd highly suggest the rim upgrade for looks and safety. It will probably help resale value as well. However, I'm guessing that your nice average of 51.9 will take a hit. I went down from around 48 or 49 to 45/46. However, I'm averaging 55 on my current tank . . . but I have no idea why :)

Caymandiver75: I've seen a few threads on here about taillight tinting (black and black/red). I did this on my old (gulp) Grand Cherokee, and I love the way that it looks (lightly smoked). I wish that an aftermarket company would come out with a classy set of smoked taillights (not the typical cheesy ebay offerings).

14. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  15. Scotty Danger

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks Pinto Girl. I've seen a few of your threads, and it looks like your suspension is pretty beefed up as well!

One more pic-

Attached Files:

16. HI MPG

HI MPG Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Scotty - you down in the Newport area? (I know, a bit off topic...)
    That's still amazing that you are maintaining that MPG avg. I switched from the OEM 15s to 16s with even lighter rims that the stock 15s and my MPG has suffered. The delta is about 4-6 MPG. I know it's partially due to the wider tires and my more aggressive style of driving, so I'm willing to live with that. Something else I haven't really considered is the weight of the SRP on my Prius...

17. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Don't feel bad. I started driving at 75mph on my commute and racing around a lot. The result? 39.8mpg for that tank. lol

18. Scotty Danger

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes - I'm in Newport. The MPG went down to about 52 yesterday, but I was also lugging 5 people around and some luggage as well.

19. Agent J

Agent J Hypoliterian

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    just a question, i also have about the same setup, tanabe strut bar, stiffening plate, H&R lowering springs. I'm wondering if i should get the rear sway bar too. wouldn't that make this car tend to understeer more with rear sway bars? I'm also having second thoughts putting 15mm spacers in the back as this would widen the stance and thus have more grip in the rear which will equate to more understeer. any thoughts?

20. charlesdc54

charlesdc54 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Nice look. Did you feel that it rides harder. My partner & I know ours dose. I went to Corola Matrix 16" wheels, pained gray with Yokohama LRR's.
    We don't drive much to see much of a hit in MPG still 42-45 (unless AC on).

Attached Files: