1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Eibach Springs and KYB Struts REVIEW

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by F8L, May 16, 2011.

1. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The other day I swapped the 15s back on to test out the MPG loss with my 17s and new tires. The car felt very stable and the body roll was still much reduced. I expect the 15s to feel like mushy marshmellows but they didn't. Obviously I couldn't corner as hard as I can with the 17s but the ride was very nice and not bumpy. Having driven on the 15s with the lowering springs I will retract my earlier recommendation to not lower the Prius if you value comfort. With the 15s at high pressure the car rides very smooth if a bit stiffer than stock and the improved handling is not compromised.

On the 17s I was averaging 45mpg if I tried really hard. Today I drove the same route (which includes a 1200 foot elevation gain) during my commute and achieved 55mpg and the day before I was at 58mpg but I didn't run my normal route so no hill climbing. Hell if my commute was flat then 60mpg wouldn't be a problem. Boy those 17s kill my MPG. :(

Attached Files:

2. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes. The Prius historically has a lofty ride, and therefore plenty of buffer for lowering the suspension. Lowering it an inch or two won't impact ride quality much, in fact it might barely "normalize" its height/feel compared with other cars. The same goes for Corollas, etc....

In fact one time my coworker said "your car feels really high." I asked her, "really? and I lowered it..." :mad: That is like the worst thing you can tell a guy, ok maybe not...

3. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm still laughing at the last sentence. :p

I agree. The ride is not really compromised unless you enjoy the "riding on marshmallows" feel. The car just feels more stable and safer. By safer I mean if you have to perform and emergency maneuver the car is much more stable and less likely to wind up out of control.

I think I may have to sell the 17s. This 7-10mpg loss is ridiculous. lol

4. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yup, I also have the love and hate relationship with my Kyowa 17". I keep swapping back and forth as well.

5. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I guess we are fortunate enough to have the option of swapping back and forth but damn it would be nice if we didn't have to. :D

The MPG difference is so vast despite the monetary cost being small that I cannot be happy unless I am getting 50+mpg. Being stuck in the low to mid 40s makes me feel like I should be driving a VW turbo diesel instead. lol

What id the difference between your OEMs and your Kyowa's?

6. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I usually swap in the summer and there is 5-7 MPG hit. I have 205mm tire width so it helps a little I guess. Kyowa may be lighter than your Centerline.

7. sidecar

sidecar Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    interesting...

Given all other things to be equal, that's a massive difference in resistance there. I figure most of the weight difference will be in the tyre, so really the differences are

• weight difference wheel/tyre combination
    • location of centre of mass tends toward outside of wheel
    • wider footprint has more rolling and aerodynamic drag
    I guess you know the weight of each wheel/tyre combination (I recall you recording something like that here I just cant put my finger on it) ?
    Can you put city/hwy travel as a factor like 50%/50%, and are they similar in each instance ?

I'd love to get one of these things on something like motorcycle tyres for awhile just to see what happened, well before they give out due to overload anyways.

8. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sidecar, I think you have it right.

My wheels weigh 15lbs and the tires weigh 22lbs according to the manufacture. Unfortunately i never weighed this combo but I did weigh my old 17" combo and they were between 37.5 and 38lbs each. The stock combo were approx. 31.5-32lbs each. I have not weighed the OEM wheels and my current tires.

My commute is around 98% highway. I live about 1mile from the freeway and my work is less than 1 mile off the freeway. This is the route I have been basing my MPG figures on. I do drive around town but I leave that out of the calculation for the most part as it is highly variable and doesn't really help determine the MPG difference between the 17s and 15s. I will say that even with city driving the MPG doesn't change much. I still get much worse MPG with the 17s. In fact I would say that the MPG difference is worse in the city because it is easier to pulse and glide with the 15s despite the fact that the Michelin MXM4s roll really well. There is also the penalty for having to stop and go over and over with such a heavy tire/wheel combo.

9. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That sounds about right. I think if I performed the same kind of driving I did today with my 17s then I may have pulled off a 45mpg trip but I doubt I could have gotten any better. I think this 15" tire just rolls really well. Ah well, I'm just happy to be above 50mpg again. :)

10. sidecar

sidecar Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    my problem is, those weights are not hugely disimilar. I could say significant yes, but theres a massive change in drag somewhere in there

ok so thats mostly driving at speed, where there should be little difference. The major thing about differences in rotating mass is accelerating that mass to speed, and thats where the mass centre being located more to the outside is a disadvantage, if you like its additional leverage and that means even more power than the contribution in mass alone.

On the highway I would expect speeds are more consistent (?) with less accelerations so this actually becomes less of a factor.

We have to conclude that the rolling resistance and aerodynamic drag are the the components at play. And where aero drag isn't going to contribute a lot, just eyeballing flat plate drag at 60MPH: Dt = 1/2 x slug x V^2 x area x C
    where the units are: slug in pounds, velocity in ft/sec, area in sq ft, and coefficient as 1.

since we are only looking at the increase on each tyre of some 2.5" or so further width at the height exposed then even optimistically that's in the margin of less than half a sq ft

1/2 x .00238 x 7779 x 0.5 x 1 = 4.6lbs

so aero drag isnt at all significant, it has to be rolling resistance

yes that is more in line with my expectations re rotating mass/power and accelerating to a speed more often.

11. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Indeed, sidecar. I think rolling resistance and the larger rolling diameter of the 17s are the main culprits.

The 17" tire is taller than the 15" so part of the gain in mpg when swapping from the 17s to the 15s is due to increased tire revolutions per mile than the 17s. When I ran my worn down 17s the tire size was much closer to the 15s and the MPG difference was about 4-6mpg less with the 17s. So I expect the new Michelins would close the gap in MPG once they wear down a bit like the Yokos have.

See picture below.

Attached Files:

12. sidecar

sidecar Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    oh well, I didnt know that. I took it that the tyre profiles were the same, now I see they are not. Different diameters will also affect your instrumentation; that is to say, unless you've corrected the odometer, your miles are not miles etc., hence your MPG is really mPG.

Perhaps all you really need are 17"s that are closer to the replaced tyres rolling diameter. That will give you more accurate instrumentation and correct gearing. For the time being it might be an experiment to run your distance over measured miles (off a map) and fuel quantity measured from refils at the same pump.

The thing that had me going was that the optional equipment on the new Prius offers 17" wheels and tyres, I couldnt for the life of me think what might really be all that different, with the expectation that the OEM 17" are likely as heavy as lead :)

13. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree. i talked about this in my tire review thread for the Michelins. With these 17s the speedometer is actually dead on now as compared to GPS readings. Normally with the 15s it is 2mph too fast compared to GPS.

The tire calculators show that my tire size 215/45/17 should be very close to the diameter of the 185/65/15 but it is obviously not. The 205/50/17 would be off ever further. I could have paid more attention to the revs/mile specifications but I really didn't have many choices in tire and mpg quirks aside the MXM4 is an awesome tire.

14. sidecar

sidecar Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    A.ok
    its possible that you do not have any loss in MPG at all, while I agree the rolling resistance theory has an basis for a real result, but it is IMO just as likely that you don't, the data is just too questionable.

There are 2 things that make me say this, the 'problematic' (in theory) differences between your own city/hwy results, and the data from the new Prius which uses wheel equipment that is probably inferior to your own, and which your car should at least be able to match. So I wouldn't give up on the 17" project unless you decide the ride quality is something you cant live with. At least for the time being you can mix and match at will.

you might in the end be able to have your cake and eat it too ;)

1 person likes this.
  15. HI MPG

HI MPG Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    :eek: I think I may have to check the temperature in hell... Quoting Nacho Libre, "Joo are crazy..." LOL.
    I forgot if your Michelins are brand new... If they are, maybe it's the initial break-in period? Just a thought.

16. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The Michelin tires have 2000 miles on them now so they should be broke in but the fact they are so much taller, wider and have a higher rolling resistance is the main problem. I really like them though so I'll just wait until winter to run them because they are much safer than my 15" summer tires. The true mpg loss is probably around 6mpg which isn't that big of a deal economically but it hurts my hypermiling ego lol.

17. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I just noticed that the new tires do not scrape the wheel well like the older Kumhos did. I think it is the design of the tire that keeps it from hitting the wheel well. The Michelin sidewalls are shaped such that they curve inward toward the wheel as opposed to the Kumhos which had a very flat sidewall.

18. zaggs

zaggs New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Awesome mod! I really like tight handling! Looks like this is the next one to on my list. Cannot wait to show them how my Prius takes on highway 17!

19. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yup, you'll love it.

20. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Just a quick update...

When cornering hard and fast AND hitting small bumps during cornering the tire front tire scrubs the wheel well ocassionally. This situation will be determined by your wheel specs, tire specs etc. With the 15" tires this does not happen yet I cannot corner nearly as hard soooooo. :)