1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Electric-car makers lower prices in race to catch Toyota’s Prius

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by cwerdna, Jun 12, 2013.

1. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Electric-car makers lower prices in race to catch Toyota’s Prius - The Globe and Mail

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    This does not make a lick of sense but it sounds like the experiment is on.

Bob Wilson

3. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    FWIW, from 2012 Canada Vehicle Rankings - Top 262 Best-Selling Vehicles In Canada - Every Vehicle Ranked - GOOD CAR BAD CAR Canadian auto sales are tiny compared to the US (2012 U.S. Vehicle Rankings - Top 266 Best-Selling Vehicles In America - Every Vehicle Ranked - GOOD CAR BAD CAR). But, that's not too surprising they don't quite even have the population of California.

However from the 1st URL and Nissan Reports Canadian Sales for 2012 - Nissan Online Newsroom, one can see Leaf sales in Canada are pretty puny.

For whatever reason, the cheaper '13 Leaf (with the de-contented S trim level) is way late to Canada. The cheaper '13 Leaf in all trims has been shipping in the US for a few months already.

Re: '13 price drop and '12 price increase, see below:
    Nissan Leaf becomes least expensive 5-seat EV with massive price drop - Autoblog
    Plug-In 2011: Details on Nissan's 2012 Leaf price increase

4. dbcassidy

dbcassidy Toyota Hybrid Nation, 8 Million Strong

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Toyota hybrid nation, 5 million strong.:)

DBCassidy

5. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    got your sticker yet????:love:

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    tough to steal hybrid sales with 'high anxiety vehicles'.

7. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ...makes for some great Plug-In deals in USA. The Federal tax credit (up to $7500) was based on the idea that EV's are quite expensive. But with low Plug-In prices (due to dealer incentives) Plug_ins could be the cheapest solution for a new car in quite a few households.

8. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    They make for a great first car for teen drivers. The overnight charging session complements curfews.

Teacake likes this.
  9. srfndoc

srfndoc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three

That's actually a really good idea. I will be buying a car for my two older daughters in the next year or two and with
    the incentives it would work out to about a $21k car which isn't bad. Assuming of course both the Fed/State rebates are available then. We just purchased a Prius v but looked at the Leaf and concluded the range limitations would not work for us and it was just too small for a family of 5 as a second car.

10. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Good to know they won't be using the old "Oh baby, we ran out of gas" line.

Bob Wilson

11. 100 mph

100 mph Junior Member

They're not going after the Prius. They're trying to meet California's clean car quota. The electrics aren't selling quite as well as they hoped. If they don't meet the sales quota, they can't do business in California - a market too big to ignore. Or as Wall Street Journal's Dan Neil put it:

"Yeah, well, tough. It's the cost of doing business in the biggest vehicle market in the U.S., and a plain-fact acknowledgment that the automobile has public costs—impacts on air quality, climate and health, infrastructure, injury and death. Lest we forget. You can take issue with California's zero-emission vehicle methodology, and you can reach different conclusions with regard to electric vehicles' value to consumers; but it's inarguable that car companies have an obligation to clean up the mess they make."

Fiat 500e Review: The Bosses Don't Love It, but You Will - WSJ.com

12. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Recently an Autoline Daily report on the rapid depreciation of the Volt and Leaf reported:
    • Used, they have no tax advantage, so the subsequent sale prices have vastly declined
    • Early adopter cars are coming off lease
    So to stay in the California market, selling EVs is the 'business tax.' But without a tax advantage, the used ones have become a buyer's market.

Bob Wilson

13. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Bob,

The "rapid depreciation" simply reflects the $7,500 tax credit available on the new vehicles. I have been watching, not focused though, the resale values for off-lease Volts. We leased the Volt my son is driving, mainly to help him establish credit as a new college graduate. The resale values seem to be inline with the lease residuals so far. He loves the Volt, especially not having to put gas in it. During the 9 months I drove the Volt I learned that I can easily live within the range of current EVs so it looks like I will be getting a model X next.

14. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Thanks, I've long wondered if the tax credit simply increased the sale price of subsidized vehicles. When Prius were in short supply with waiting lists and dealer markup, there was a subsidy. But once the subsidy ended, the waiting lists and markups seemed to disappear. But I don't know how to quantify the 'price inflation' effect of this subsidy.
    A fan of using Ebay completed sales to get the 'fair market value,' I may take some time to see what sort of complete sales exists for both the "Leaf", "Volt", and equivalent model or sized gas cars.

Bob Wilson

15. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    When I replaced a totaled 2006 Prius with a 2007 Prius it seemed like Toyota had just started discounting $2,500 off of the MSRP, in effect replacing the federal subsidies. The manufacture would argue that the tax subsidies translated into markup and the markup translated to gross margin dollars to recoup r&d and ramping production for new technologies.

If a $33K vehicle temporarily sells for $40k for a few years and then settles in at $35K is that a bad thing?

16. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Do tax incentives affect demand? Sure. Do they increase demand or just shift demand? At least during some of the time the Prius was selling for MSRP gas prices were rising to record levels and dealers wouldn't take SUVs in trade.

When the recession hit, the bottom fell out of the auto market. the Gen 2 was at the end of the line and there were MY leftovers on the lot for the first time. Gen 3 sales started out at MSRP, were discounted by December 2009, and went to invoice in 2010.

I don't believe the tax policy raised the price. It wasn't advertised or mentioned, even at the dealership. It may shift demand, and definitely shifted demand when it was close to expiring. Are you going to buy an EV in NJ just because there is no sales tax? No. With the cash the manufacturer is placing on the hood and the tax credits more people can at least consider the car. They are increasing demand in a soft market, not increasing the price.

Tesla's in a good position now with more orders than production. What happens when production catches up and exceeds the order rate? When does that occur? VW enjoyed it with the New Beetle and Chrysler with the PT Cruiser, both discontinued.

17. dbcassidy

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    On order.

DBCassidy

18. dbcassidy

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ain't that the truth!!!

DBCassidy

19. dbcassidy

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Only when, as the article pointed out: sales slumped 25% in the first months this year and 63% for the month of May in Canada.

Yes its a bad thing.

DBCassidy

DBCassidy

20. dbcassidy

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You should be focused on off lease Volts, some great deals will becoming forth. Establishing credit for your son will be easier with a great buy on a previously leased Volt. Also, with ownership, no issue with returning the car at lease end and worrying about being charged for minor blemishes on the vehicle.
    Your son also learns to take responsibility of a car that he will own, once it is paid off.

He will love the freedom of no more car payments upon the payoff of the car loan too.

It doesn't get any better than that.:)

DBCassidy