1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Electric coolant pump malfunction.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Ahmad Usman, Dec 22, 2014.

1. Ahmad Usman

Ahmad Usman New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hey there. I have a 1.8S 2010 prius here in Pakistan. I bought it recently. The other day I was driving my car and noticed the engine check light. After a while i noticed another warning light. A yellow triangle with a explanation mark in the middle. It's basically japanese local production. So a message on display showed up in Japanese language. I was unable to comprehend what it said. Most probably it said pull over and put the vehicle in parking mode. I was a little to far away from the nearest dealership so I kept driving it i lost nearly half of the power and I assume it restricted the engine from turning on. I drove it for less then 5 kilometres and all of a sudden the vehicle gave up. The speed from the speedometer vanished and all warning lights including check battery abs even parking brakes turned on. I pulled over. Gave it a while checked again. Now it wouldn't start at all all the warning lights were right there. I opened the hood and looked after searching for about 45 minutes I found this power cable which powers the vehicle it present within the fuse box. I pulled it out and after waiting for about 10 minutes i reconnected the clamp and tried starting the vehicle. All the lights were gone. And I was able to see the "ready" light. It was good to go. I started driving it. After driving it for about good 20 minutes engine check light showed up again. Like out of nowhere. :/
    I got it checked the next day. I got this little palmtop sort of thingy connected to my car and it was diagnosed with error code P261B which mean electric coolant pump B malfunction.
    Is prius supposed to react to coolant pump failure in this particular way?
    Furthermore can I have the pump repaired or do I have to get it replaced. The pump is costing me somewhere close to 130 USD if I get it imported on my own otherwise its available in the market for about 350 dollars. It is weird how it reacted to coolant pump malfunction. Do you think something else needs to fixed as well?
    I will be waiting for a reply.
    Thanks!!

Attached Files:

2. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    If you can wait the appropriate time, I would bring the part from overseas and save a bundle of $$$.
    Also, I would have it replaced by a Toyota Service Rep. I seems that is not a 1,2,3 kind of part replacement job.

3. Ahmad Usman

Ahmad Usman New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have loads of time. The thing is I live in pakistan. Its a effed up country to get things from. Prices are awfully high. And every person out there is somewhat trying to charge you as much as possible

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i would test the 12 volt battery.

5. Ahmad Usman

Ahmad Usman New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Okay, you think something could be wrong with the 12 volt battery as well? I think that shouldn't cause any problems while driving.

6. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    DO you have any relatives abroad? that can send you a parcel with the OEM part?

7. Ahmad Usman

Ahmad Usman New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yes, I do. I have my family settled in tronto. I see you live in America. Won't this be a problem for you?

8. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
  9. Ahmad Usman

Ahmad Usman New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III