1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Electric Motor Starts When Driver Side Door Handle Touched?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by eadams44, Jul 31, 2011.

1. our1vue

our1vue Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    How long is the pump suppose to run ? When I got the car (2 weeks ago) it used to run 2 or 3 sec in the morning when I first touched the door handle. Now it is running 9 sec. Not sure why it would be getting longer. Anyone out there ever time how long their pump is running ? There is no warning lights and the brake fluid level is still where it was when we got the car. Thanks for any help.

2. Braddles.au

Braddles.au DEFAnitely using an EBH

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a Citroën C5 wagon parked next to my Prius. I was very confused that the Prius makes the same sound when the driver's door is opened. I knew that the Citroën self-levels the car before it starts (the pumps are electric, so the car doesn't need to be running before the pumps work) but I had no idea what the Prius was doing. Impersonations?

3. our1vue

our1vue Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Could anyone out in PriusChat land do a quick check to see how long their motor runs when they first touch the handle in the morning after the car has sat at night ? It is now up to 11 seconds. Is there a spec in the manuals that state how much time the pump is suppose to take to pressurize the system ? I imagine if it takes over a certain amount of time, a code will be thrown to say time for a visit to your local Toyota service center.
    Thanks

4. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    11 - 12 seconds on mine this morning.

1 person likes this.
  5. our1vue

our1vue Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Fuzzy1,
    That is in the range of what mine is. Wonder why it changes from when you first get the car ? Thanks for checking for me.

6. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I believe it is just a function of time and pressure loss. Longer intervals of non-use require longer priming times. Scientific principles will also tell you that temperature is a factor too.

7. our1vue

our1vue Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    fotomoto,
    Makes sense. But my car schedule is pretty regular (in the garage my 9 pm, out the door at 10 am). Also the garage is heated so I shouldn't be getting a temperature change. I've listened to the pump when it runs and I can hear when it slows down when the pressure goes up. It is just taking longer to slow down. I was wondering if the pump seals are starting to wear a little so they don't seal as well or maybe a slow pressure leak. If I get in the car after the car has sat for an hour or two, it doesn't run that long (if at all).
    That is why I was curious what the other Prius in the world were doing. It would be interesting to see the service manual to see what their specs are for brake pressure up time.

8. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I never actually timed mine before today, but am not aware of it changing.

Mine was never as short as the 2-3 seconds you mentioned, because I would have noticed that much change. But if it was short a 5 seconds when it was new, nearly three years ago, then the drift could have been slow enough to escape my notice.