1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Electro magnetic radiation in Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by webbugger, Jan 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. webbugger

webbugger New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    wikipedia says prius electro magnetic radiation is above the levels

[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Prius"]Toyota Prius - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

The Prius has been known to emit higher [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_fields"]electromagnetic fields[/ame] than other cars. [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ICNIRP"]ICNIRP[/ame] guidelines stipulate that the maximum long term exposure should not exceed 1mG but the Prius measures higher than 24mG in some locations, such as the rear right seat.[46] ICNIRP guidelines are not law in many (if any) countries. The [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Health_Organization"]World Health Organization[/ame] in conjunction with the ICNIRP conducted a study and found levels above 3mG contribute to a child's risk of developing leukemia.[47] At 12mG, the electromagnetic radiation is so strong it's able to block the body's ability to inhibit cancers (in this case breast cancer) using [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melatonin"]melatonin[/ame].[48] The Toyota Prius exceeds 12mG (up to 24mG) in some areas of the cabin. However Toyota claims that the Prius emits similar fields to conventional gasoline vehicles.[49] The high voltage power cable from the traction battery and the forward electric drive motor/generator passes directly under the drivers seat.[50]

Any specilists on this?

2. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello welcome to the group! There have been several good threads om the subject. If you pull down the search tab and select show threads, it will show the different threads that already exist on the subject. If you select show posts will list all the posts that meet the searh criteria. There s a lot to read, good hunting.
    Simply put, I do not and would not worry about it!

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The National Inquirer says Elvis is alive and running a Krispy-Kreme store in Oklahoma.

anyway....

Greetings and Welcome Aboard.:welcome:
    Don't worry about the forum cops. They just loooove to pick on the peeps for not using the search feature.

I'll save you some time.

1. The search button is nearly useless at best.
    2. The EMF issue is a non-issue.

4. msirach

msirach Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Don't worry about it in a Prius. I have a Gauss Meter and have checked a Gen II, GenII, Honda Insight I and Honda Insight II. I don't remember the exact numbers, but it is xx times more dangerous 6' from a microwave than in a Prius or Insight.

5. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Hello I am happy to counter any fear mongering you may have read. (I am less happy you are spreading it without understanding it)

This is the ICNIRP Guidelines for Non Ionizing EMF: (yes, the very same ICNIRP the article mentions) http://www.icnirp.de/documents/emfgdl.pdf

On a page labeled 511 you can see recommendations by frequency.
    For low frequency changes, (and the battery is DC, so it is low frequency by any measure) the allowed B is much higher than at higher frequencies, say a million times higher. By choosing 'bad' results at high frequencies, and Prius results at low frequencies, one can convey the mistaken impression that the Prius is 'bad', despite more than meeting ICNIRP guidelines. (This is similar to posting results of accidents at 100 MPH, and using that as a warning to stay out of parking lots. The dangers are different at 5 MPH)

As an example the Earth's magnetic field is from 300 mG to 600 mG near the poles, and is very low frequency, as the earth rotates once per day. Low frequency EMF much larger than the Prius are natural parts of every day life.

Earth's magnetic field - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If someone finds a way to turn on and off the Prius battery thousands of times per second, it is clearly time to reevaluate it's safety. Perhaps fortunately, no one can design an AC battery.

(Prius chat has a functional search capability should you wish to counter further FUD before you spread it)

1 person likes this.
  6. derkraut

derkraut Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Elvis is alive???? OMIGOD!!! I told the aliens from outer space who kidnapped me and stole my Prius that Elvis had died!! I hope they don't come back.:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

7. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I had Elvis over for Christmas Dinner. He and Bat Boy actually cooked the Turkey by driving it around in the front seat of a Prius.

It was EMF-a-licious....

8. Judgeless

Judgeless Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Be care posting pics asking people to search. I got sick of people posting the same thing every day and posted a similar pic.

[​IMG]

I recieved the following warning from Prius chat.

9. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Prius drivers were also responsible for the Red-Winged Blackbird kills this last New Year's...I mean everybody knows what party animals we are, and all of those Priuses on the roads emmitting electromagnetic radiation just cooked those little guys right out of the skies!!! :D

10. Judgeless

Judgeless Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    This guy is nut job. He has only post in two threads. One claiming his brakes do not stop the car. All those claims were proved to be scams.

Then he goes into a rant about magnetic radiation in Prius. This entire thread should be deleted.

Why is every thread that covers this topics started by someone that is new to Prius Chat?

11. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    WAIT WAIT WAIT, I posted the reply about using the seach function. I did not do it to be a "Foum Cop", I did it so he just might have a chance to figure it out on his own! I use the search function regularly, it seems to work for me! If you can not get it to work, maybe you are the one who has a problem!
    The only problem Search has, is that when someone starts a Thread, and puts lousy tag words in, you get lousy seach results.
    I.E. the threads I am referring to are 1 - Prius EMF Risks started by nyprius it contains the tags emf, kooks, prius, risks. It is easy to find the subject EMF, which is what the OP was wondering about.
    On the other hand, the thread, 2 - Effects of electricity emitted from the Prius state started by VictorM it contains the tags effects, electricity, emitted, prius It is NOT easy to find the subject EMF in this thread, which is exactly what this thread is about and what the OP had in mind

So if you want to rag about something, how about ragging on folks who make the search function difficult to use for folk like yourself, instead of someone who tied to point out a useful feature to a newbie! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  12. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    There are threads about this. I use the search and find what I am looking for with it. This thread is closed, the OP can continue in one of them.

2 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.