1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Energy Saver A/S 68T impressions

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Fubar1764, Nov 12, 2013.

1. Fubar1764

Fubar1764 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Alrighty. I just ordered a set of Energy Saver A/S 68T. They should arrive Friday or Saturday. I'll be posting my impression and improvements over the Pirelli P4.

Here are some lumps of salt that should go with this thread:
    1) I don't hypermile.
    2) I'm a pretty aggressive driver. Other cars are '91 Lotus Elan and '05 Lotus Elise. My '08 Prius (IV) replaced a lost '99 BMW E39 wagon 5spd. You get the picture.

My impressions of the P4. LOUD. For a tire which handles not so well, it's awfully loud. I've never made the tires howl because the body roll of the Prius stops me from getting that far. . .or maybe the road noise is just louder than the howling. ;)
    Last year, I drove the Prius 37k miles. Best calculated tank was 49 (my attempt at hypermiling) and the worst was 39.5 (5F-45F) NM/Colorado winter on holiday. Average is 43. I have tire pressures at 46/42 cold. And since I live in Houston, TX, the a/c is on (usually LO) 80% of the year. I generally check the tire pressures every 3-4 tanks. I'm getting approximately 440mi/tank.

What I think I can expect from the ES A/S? I think fuel economy will go up. I think the road noise will improve dramatically (how could it get any worse?!). Road holding and comfort will probably go up as well.

As for cost, Discount price matched Costco at $572 walk-out. They claim their warranty is the same as Costco's road hazard, so I didn't get the "certificates."

2. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Don't be surprised if you see a small increase in MPG along with a better increase after about 5000 miles on the new tires. Bought the same thing during the summer. I hypermile when I can, but not as much as I could if I really tried. When comparing them to the OEM Integrity, the difference is night and day. I set up a new fuelly in my signature just for the Energy Saver A/S to compare them with the old tires. I think it speaks for itself.

Best of luck to you. I don't think you will regret your choice of tire.

3. Fubar1764

Fubar1764 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    From everyone's experience here (F8L's input especially), I think I made the right choice. Frankly, I couldn't wait to ditch the P4. After I get the tires, I'll get an alignment. I had real bad wear on the driver's front. Not sure if this is because of a crummy tire or if it's a bad alignment. In either case, an alignment will put everything back at reset.

4. Fubar1764

Fubar1764 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Got the tires. Drove them fo rabout 40mi before I got an alignment done. Have driven them less than 50mi. My impressions thus far.

ES A/S compared to the P4:
    - Noticeably quieter usually.
    -What tire noise there was is a much higher pitch.
    -On some surfaces, it's actually significantly louder
    -Much more compliant over potholes. Yes, I drove through a shallow one and did not feel the jarring that was so prevalent in the P4.
    -FE improved immediately. The computer was telling me I was doing high 40s almost immediately. I haven't driven enough to be definitive, but I expect a mpg bump, even with my lead foot.
    -Grippier than the P4. The P4 wasn't exactly a star, but the ES A/S is a little bit better.

Overall, I think the ES A/S is a more compliant tire. The better grip is probably from the improved rubber compound. . .introduced in 2006, the P4s are dinosaurs.

5. Fubar1764

Fubar1764 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    First tank came out to 50.1mpg. That's a 6.8mpg bump. Because it's getting cooler in Houston, the a/c's been off a lot of the time. That may have something to do with it as well. After a few tanks, we'll have a better idea.

Tires are still running very well. I'm noticing how much quieter than the P4s these tires are. Wet traction is pretty good as well thought I didn't try to push it. Overall, I'm still happy with the purchase. I'll update mostly MPG as the mileage goes along.

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Noise comparison between worn tires and a new set can be deceptive: in my experience tires get noisier as they wear, so switching from worn to brand new...

7. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Don't be surprised if you see a slight drop, followed by a improvement. First tank was good on ours, then dropped a couple of MPG for a couple of tanks, then started coming back up. After twelve tanks, I have seen a BIG difference between the OEM Integrity and the Energy Saver A/S on our Prius.

Look at the two fuelly below in my signature. Pretty much tells the whole story on the new tires.

Glad you like them fubar.

8. Fubar1764

Fubar1764 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius

When I first got her, I noticed the tires were noisy. At first, I thought it was all car. Then a friend reminded me they were Pirellis, not exactly known for quietness. Listening more carefully, I noticed the noise was largely tire hum. That was 37k miles ago. So, I'm reasonably certain it's the tire. And as I understand, every few years, tire compounds change, usually an improvement. I'm not real surprised the Michelins are quieter (Michelins are known to be quiet tires, giving a little in grip for greater comfort).

As for mpg, I'm going to sit on a few tanks before I make a final judgment. Not-summer is here which means the mpg eating a/c is not on all the time. Come summer (April), we'll see how the mpg is when the air is on all the time.

Meanwhile, I'll still post up mpg as it progresses. So far, I'm very happy with the tires.

Dorunron, do not know if you're a gearhead or not, but every first Saturday morning, there is Cars and Coffee in NW Houston. It's a great place to see some cool metal (the really cool stuff is plastic and c/f). If you're up for it, I'll pick you up in the Elise, and we can hump it up there.

9. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Are you talking about the car show over by the coffee shop close to Willowbrook Mall Area? I think it is on Jones Rd close to Cypress N. Houston... Little coffee shop in a real small strip center. Has a Chinese place next door. The shop I am talking about has BYOM for a buck and also makes some good cappuccino.

Is that the place? Haven't been to car show, but have heard about it...

10. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    We had some Pirelli snow tires, decades back. Very noisy, they drove me nuts: not just a steady noise either, they had a pulsation, sounded like a truck. The tire place even tried rebalancing the lot. Just lived with it for a while.

11. Fubar1764

Fubar1764 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    With temp change and the heat almost always on as well as the compressor, 39.2mpg. Did not get a chance to reinflate the tires. 42.5/41psi hot in 64deg ambient.

12. Fubar1764

Fubar1764 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    46.249mpg. A/C was always on in automatic mode with recirc, not fresh air. Also, air was sometimes below 40psi due to temp changes. Good if not impressive.

On second thought, perhaps there's more to this mpg discrepancy. When I added air to the tires, I was in the 30s in the last tank. On this tank, I was in the mid to high 40s because the temp increased 30 degrees for most of the tank. I think that temp range had a lot to do with the 6.5mpg difference.

13. Fubar1764

Fubar1764 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    40.841mpg. Ambient temps have been low, in the high 30s to low 50s. Yes, I know, low temp is relative. ;)

I'm comfortable concluding that heat generation chews up mpg more than a/c.

Data Daedalus likes this.
  14. engerysaver

engerysaver Real Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Remember when it is cold, use grill blocking strategy; under Accessories and Modifications. This will also help your MPG.:)

15. Fubar1764

Fubar1764 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    49.2 Some a/c. Ambient temps between 28F-76F.

16. Fubar1764

Fubar1764 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    55.37 with a/c and heat rarely on. Best tank yet. Ambient temps 36F - 75F. Typically driven with air on, but no a/c and sometimes some moderate heat.

17. Fubar1764

Fubar1764 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I cut the insulation pipes a year ago for my trip to CO. I'm sure they made a big difference since the temp was rarely above freezing in the mountains!

18. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    58 MPG at the pump - MFD said 59.6 No A/C, little use of heat. Mainly 55 Miles/Hour across town from Gallery Furniture to Pasadena Convention Center (Four Trips in two days) plus hypermiling on the city streets in the "dome" city. 371.3 miles on this tank - fuel used 6.4 gallons Shell 87 Octane.

Have about 8000 miles on the Energy Saver's now. Running 40F 38 R

I love these tires!

19. Fubar1764

Fubar1764 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    37.2 mpg. Worst tank yet. Best tank followed by worst tank. Little difference in temp and driving. Stupid accordion bladder!

Most recent tank was 45.12 mpg. That sounds about right.

20. Fubar1764

Fubar1764 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    46.18. Some a/c. Some heat. Tires at 42/38 at 40F.