1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Engine air filter barely dirty after 2 years / 40K

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Jonny Zero, Aug 10, 2014.

1. Jonny Zero

Jonny Zero Giggidy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    There is not a whole lot of dust where I live and the Prius does not use much fuel. Toyota says 30K or 3 years. I am keeping mine to 60K 3 years. More concerned with the rubber parts getting brittle in the heat and break off, than the element itself getting clogged up.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it's amazing, isn't it? what could toyota have done to facilitate this, a pre filter?

3. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Just goes to show how little the engine actually works in comparison to the standard ICE machine. I too have noticed how clean the air filters stay on the Prius. I still changed ours once a year just for practical purposes. The filter is not real expensive, easy to swap and gives you peace of mind knowing you are getting maximum air flow and maximum filtration also.

Just my two cents worth.

Ron (dorunron)

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    good point, i hadn't thought of that!(y)

5. Jonny Zero

Jonny Zero Giggidy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    On the filtration point -- new filter is less efficient than an used one -- trapped particles act as additional filtration medium. This is the main reason I am sitting on mine. ;)

HaroldW likes this.
  6. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hmmm, that may be. However you are forgetting that the computers will adjust the air/fuel ratio and the valve timing to allow for that "DIRTY" air filter. The filter is NOT expensive, real easy to change. And who is to say that the Prius is not operating as efficiently and as clean as it would be with that dirty filter in comparison to a new filter?

To each his own.

#6 dorunron, Aug 10, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2014
  7. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Dirty air filter had impact on carburated engines that had no feed back from oxygen sensor, made them run richer. Now, filters have no impact whatsoever in modern engines. Under normal driving, the throttle air resistance is much grater that the dirtiest air filter. In theory there could be some power increase under WOT, but probably too little to measure.

And yes, if prius MPG is roughly double of regular car, half as much air will flow through the filter.

8. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    My Toyota dealer asked if they could just leave my air filter on for another 5000 miles, at 30,000 there was no sign of dirt in it.

9. Jonny Zero

Jonny Zero Giggidy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Wow, a dealer which didn't want to sell you unnecessary service, amazing.

10. canta

canta Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I think, the best way is just replacing with a new filter.

If you do not want to replace, please check filter rubber to make sure no rubber breaks, and can seat properly without leaking on filter box.

I always replace 2-3 years regardless the filter is still clean or not. filter is very cheap and easy to be forgotten..

once for awhile (my area), Toyota(dealer specific), send flyer for discount (mostly 10%) or discount on oil-change or maintenance service discount. I always wait those flyers to get discounts :D. 200-300 miles late is not a biggie deal on oil-change.
    I never got those discount flyers while owned Hyundai...

11. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    ^ Just picked up a cabin and engine filter for a Honda. The effing things were over $30 each... (Yeah, I know, aftermarket's cheaper. I just didn't want to run around, and wanted all the maintenance items on one bill.)

Our Prius filters are coming up for replacement, by the km interval. Got to say the last time I checked the engine filter it looked like new. The cabin filter had a few bugs and seeds on it, but I'm not too concerned about it. I'll likely change them, just to stick with the schedule, though.

12. Dark_matter_doesn't

Dark_matter_doesn't Prius Tinkerer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It's the cabin filters that get filthy & should be changed every oil change.

13. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    ^ Cabin filter condition is somewhat dependent on AC use I think. If you frequently just leave the system off and run the windows down, not so bad.

14. Dark_matter_doesn't

Dark_matter_doesn't Prius Tinkerer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I hardly ever use A/C, and the cabin filter is filthy every 10k miles.

15. Spindifferent

Spindifferent Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Air compressor, meet filter.

16. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    ^ That's actually in the Owners Manual, page 458. My take, clean with air once or twice, if it's not too bad, then replace the next time.

prius air filter cleaning.JPG

quantumy likes this.
  17. OptimusPriustus

OptimusPriustus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    For some reason the air filters in modern cars do not get dirty so quickly. Maybe because engine compartments are nowadays less ”open” or because the air flow through filter is upwards (dust and particles fall off). Or maybe the overall designs are just so good. In my other cars i have sometimes put the old filter back on because of so fresh looks.

i dont think Prius filter stay fresh because of hybrid system. Car simply does not run on pure electric that much. Fuel consumption 4-5liters/100km so it sucks air as much as any normal car.

18. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    In most cars these days, the intake air first passes through a resonator, and then into an air intake “box,” with the air filter on top of the box. The air moves UP through the filter, so dirt and dust can fall DOWN into the box. This probably helps the air filter last so much longer.

xliderider likes this.