1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Engine air filter - wash it out?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by don_chuwish, Dec 24, 2010.

1. don_chuwish

don_chuwish Well Seasoned Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I replaced my engine air filter today. It didn't look so bad, a bit gray and some small chunks of debris. Nothing caked on. But at about 30K miles I thought I'd better.
    After swapping it out I couldn't bear to just toss it. It's a hefty hunk of rubber and filter media. So I wet it, sprayed it with some 409 and then dunked it in a pot of warm water.
    Lots of grime came out, clouding the water and littering the bottom of the pot with grit. After some gentle washing and rinsing it looked quite a bit cleaner, tho not pristine white of course. I was thinking of keeping it around until next time and just swapping them. Anyone know if this is a bad idea?

- D

2. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have not done this with the engine air filter but washed my cabin air filter when I could not find a replacement and the dealership was closed for the weekend.

After washing gently and drying in the sunlight, it was like new again. I used it for another few months before finding a replacement. It still looked in good shape when I replaced it.

Others on here have said they have washed and reused the cabin air filter. I do not know why you could not do this with the engine air filter.

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The cabin air filter appears to be made of a plastic weave, so it will tolerate washing (although its effectiveness may be reduced.) If you allow use of a substandard filter the air conditioning system potentially is at risk since the system was designed for filtered air.

The engine air filter is made of paper and not intended to be washed and reused. Use of a substandard filter may result in excessive engine wear, if fine dirt can get into the combustion chambers, causing excessive piston and cylinder abrasion. You'll have to decide whether saving $15 for a new engine air filter at 30K mile intervals is worth taking that risk.

3 people like this.
  4. Hal W

Hal W New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It would be interesting to have it tested for efficiency and strength. I would not chance it in your Prius. Would be very expensive if it did not do the job. I have read that filters are more effective with age and that we tend to replace them too often ? H

5. Bob.H

Bob.H Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I would think small particles are now on the engine side of the filter you cant see. These will now fall off and be sucked into the engine. It is the microscopic hard inorganic stuff that produces wear and scratching.

Bob

6. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This is a classic example of false economy.

1 person likes this.
  7. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That's a bad idea. The engine is far more sensitive to dirt in the air than you are.

As previously mentioned, washing it can cause dirt to get on the clean side of the filter and you have no idea what washing it does to the micro porosity of the filter media.

Most knowledgeable people will even tell you to not try to clean it by blowing it clean with compressed air. The filter media is specially made to pass air with low resistance yet catch very small dirt particles. It doesn't take much top make it less effective.

8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The Owners Manual for our 2010 suggests for the Cabin filter that you can inspect it and if it's not too dirty just blow compressed air through from the clean side. It makes no mention of cleaning the engine air filter though. K&N might make a filter that you can clean and re-lube. I've used that kind on a motorcycle once.

Considering the long replacement interval, and what's at stake, I'd just replace the engine air filter.

9. don_chuwish

don_chuwish Well Seasoned Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks all, great input. For me it's not about saving money, I've already replaced it with new. I just hate tossing stuff in the trash if it's avoidable. Maybe I'll find some other use for it... the birth of a hoarder! ;-)

- D

10. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I like the 2010's oil filter: only the paper element and (I believe) a rubber ring are replaced: the housing is re-used. Is that the case with earlier models?

11. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Classic and 2G Prius have a different gasoline engine, which uses the traditional oil filter with a stamped steel disposable shell. It is true that the 2010's filter is less wasteful since that car's engine has a permanent oil filter housing that is not replaced. However there were many complaints when the 2010 engine design became known, from group members who were not comfortable with the idea of having to remove and replace the cap on the housing.

[My 1992 MBZ 400E (32 valve, 4.2L V8) also had a paper element oil filter that lived in a permanent housing. This is not a new concept.]

12. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Oh yeah: when I was a kid in the 1950's, our local gas station had a nightmare out back: all the used oil just got dumped, and there were a lot of the paper filter elemnents strewn around. :eek:

I heard one issue with the 2010's filter: you can screw up the o-ring location. It would be nice if Toyota would include oil & filter instruction, specific for model years, in the Owners Manual...

13. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    They were common in the 1940s. Spin-on filters didn't show up on mainstream cars until 1957 (Ford and Chysler corps), GM was slower.