1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Engine Block Heater

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by spsmith22, Dec 14, 2012.

1. spsmith22

spsmith22 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Long time lurker here...Got a quick question...

I'm about to install a new engine block heater on my 2010 tomorrow. I've looked up threads about putting it in and seen two types of installation and for both efforts, people seemed to place its level of difficulty as replacing a transmission.

I'm not a car novice, but I'm not an expert mechanic. I do my own maintenance and will fix just about anything on my own. I'm wondering if the people who are explaining the installation of an EBH are the same people who need a manual to replace wiper fluid or if it's truly that difficult to install an engine block heater.

I was planning on getting the Prius on ramps, plugging the heater into the block, routing the cord along the engine wall and through the grill. Am I missing something - or do I really need to go through instructions that list out 20 detailed steps to get it done.

Thanks!

2. pichner

pichner Metallic Maniac #001

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I was thinking the same thing, unless the port for the block heater is on the back side of the block. Why would I need to remove the wipers to install a EBH?

3. spsmith22

spsmith22 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Seriously. I've seen write-ups instructing the removal of the wipers and cowl to get "down" to the EBH hole and that seems like major overkill. I've seen people saying that the whole process 'only' took them three hours. What? There's got to be an easier way. I've noticed that there is only one or two writeups for this and that they're super-detailed. This makes me think that the only reason that the FireEngineer guy is posting it, is for folks who are on the beginner-to-novice level.

I'm not trying to make fun of anyone on this level, so please don't anyone take it that way. I just need to know if I'm getting in over my head with this tomorrow morning. I intend to get up at 5am to do this while the fiance sleeps so, I'd rather know what I'm getting into now.

4. pichner

pichner Metallic Maniac #001

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Maybe you should give the local toyota dealer a call and ask the service folks, the ones here in the twin cities have always been willing to answer questions and help out. I might be doing this on my 2012 prius and my moms 2012 prius c so anything you find out is gravy!

5. ph43drus

ph43drus Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I installed the EBH in my gen 2 Prius, and although it was a little awkward, it didn't take that long, nor did it require any major disassembly, just a lot of worming my arm up into a blind spot from below.

FWIW, I recently bought a gen 3, and asked if the service department could install an EBH in it before I took delivery. They said "they don't do block heaters because you have to disassemble too much of the car to get it in".

Haven't got the car up on ramps myself yet to see just how crazy it is with the new gen 3 underpanels, but suspect you need to pop some of those off to find the hole. YMMV, but I've never been very good at getting plastic panels like that off and on again without breaking the *#*!@ fasteners or cracking the panel somehow. Anyone have any tips?

6. Kurt Davis

Kurt Davis Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just finished installing the EBH I ordered from the PriusChat store in my 2013 Prius which we took delivery of this week. Needless to say this was my first venture under the hood (don't expect many more -- LOL), but it wasn't an impossible job. I followed some of the guidance in the How-to by FireEngineer, but I did the install from the bottom as I had no desire to remove all that cowling and wipers on a 3 day old vehicle.

Saw a note about tying up the access door , did this with string to a hole in the front section of the cowling -- worked great. The plastic push pins came off with no issues -- just used a pocket knife to start them opening. And you have to loosen the bolt holding the wire harness in order to get the EBH in the slot. Prefit of the cord plug on to the EBH made final assembly a breeze. Total job took less than two hours :)

The one caution is to be careful going up ramps. I had to build up the approach with some wood blocking as I would have surely scraped the body if I had not done so.

Install from the bottom would not be a good option for a large person. My arms barely fit up into the cavity , and there is limited room in there to say the least. Only got one small cut in the whole job -- mechanics gloves and nitrile gloves helped avoid donating too much blood to the cause.

pichner and DadofHedgehog like this.
  7. Dark_matter_doesn't

Dark_matter_doesn't Prius Tinkerer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I put mine in when I installed my strut tower brace, which requires removing the windshield wiper tray to get access to the strut tower bolts. I looked at doing it from below and it looked difficult - the hole can't be seen, plus you have to loosen a bolt restraining a wire hardness from the top.

After the windshield wiper tray is out, it's relatively easy to both remove/replace the bolt (with less chance of loosing it!) and install the EBH. If you use the instructions from HAWAIIANBUILT in his thread about the strut tower brace, it's actually pretty easy to remove and replace the wiper mechanism & tray. So the whole job can be done from the top.

It's also easier to route the EBH cable forward when the wiper tray is out.