1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Engine charge for HV Battery not working properly.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Rob Stone, Oct 13, 2012.

1. Rob Stone

Rob Stone Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Hi again! I posted in another forum earlier, but felt that this forum may be more applicable for discussion of my problem.

When stuck in traffic jams, and my 2004 Prius shows 2 bars on the HV battery charge, it attempts to start the engine to maintain the charge on the HV battery. What was happening was the engine would attempt to start and then it would immediately die. It would keep repeating this process, over and over again, and would not charge the HV battery. Once I started driving out of the traffic jam, the engine ran fine and it charged up the HV battery while I was moving down the road. After receiving advice on here about this issue, I decided to clean the throttle body. My charging problem did change due to me cleaning the throttle body. Instead of starting and immediately dying, over and over again, the engine no longer dies. It now revs up, and slows back down to idle over and over again when sitting still with 2 bars of charge. The display does not show any charging going on during this revving up and slowing down episode. I need some more hints as to what to check out. I am studying electrical diagrams of the vehicle, but I need a synopsis of which system starts the engine for HV charging, and which system keeps the engine revving at the same RPMs during charging while not in motion. The throttle body cleaning made my 257 K mile Prius run like a scared deer again. I just need to get her charging while sitting still again. Thanks for any assistance you can offer. Oh yea, 12 volt charging system is in the 14+ volt range and 12 volt battery with no load is around 12.2 volts.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    is it the original 12v?

3. Rob Stone

Rob Stone Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Yes original 12v battery.

4. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Check for possible air leaks on the induction system around the manifold, butterfly housing, and hoses this is the usual cause of hunting.

When you say the car does not charge are you in drive or neutral.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    might want to change the 12v now, whether it needs it or not.

6. Rob Stone

Rob Stone Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Thanks BP! Glad you found me over here. I used brand new dealer TB gasket. What method do you use to find vacuum leaks? When I was much younger and less experienced I would spray starting fluid around the suspected area and wait for engine to change when starting fluid was sucked into the leak. Very risky using starting fluid for me and the sensors on engine. I then started using WD40 and watching for change in engine. I have also used the choke method where you cutoff airflow down the throat and see if the problem gets better. With this Prius I am unsure which method would be best.

7. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Forget about the 12volt battery for now as once the Prius is made ready you have 14volts (normal) this will not affect the engine when it is running nor will it affect it's ability to charfe the HV battery.

8. Rob Stone

Rob Stone Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Bisco I was planning on it, but last resort after I have explored all options. Thanks for your input! :)

9. Rob Stone

Rob Stone Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    To me if I had a vacuum leak, the problem would be constant. When HV fully charged, engine stops running when at stop in Drive. It starts right up once I hit the normal MPH for the engine to take over.

10. Rob Stone

Rob Stone Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    BP it surges when I am stopped in Drive with 2 bars of HV charge. It also surges in Park with 2 bars of charge. The display does not show arrows coming from engine to HV battery.

11. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    A piece of tube about a 1/4 inch bore (not critical) used as a stethoscope can be useful listen for a hiss or whistle.

If this does not find it I use some petrol in a hypodermic, just a small amount 2 to 3 ml and spray or dribble at possible areas (at your own risk). Small amount in hypo will keep risk small as ignition sources "exhaust manifold" is on the other side of the engine. Keep an extinguisher handy just in case.

12. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Does the throttle feel smooth when you operate it by hand, no grinding or sticking. A little bit of lube on the shaft is ok.

13. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The MAF sensor could also benefit from a clean but do not use throttle body cleaner use MAF cleaner. Do not damage the two fine wires in the MAF but the should not have any build up on them. The temperature bulb should be clean and shiny.

14. Rob Stone

Rob Stone Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Throttle body has been cleaned. Gears are lubed. TB opens and closes by hand smoothly. Will try vaccum leak test in a sec. Thanks yet again! :)

15. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I think the charging issue is a bye product of the engine hunting. The engine ECU is trying to maintain a given speed before being loaded with the HV battery ECU's request for charging. I could be wrong but this is why things are ok once your on the move.

16. Rob Stone

Rob Stone Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    OK here is my observation.

Started Prius just now with engine cold (ambient temp here in Ohio is around 70 F today. Sprayed starting fluid around TB, but no vacuum leak detected. With transmission in park, engine started fine and warmed up for around 2 minutes then shut down. I then rampled up the temperature on the climate control to force an engine start. That worked just fine. When I ramped the climate control temp back down, engine stopped at normal point.

17. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Studying the wiring diagram will not really help you as all control is done by the engine ECU.

18. Rob Stone

Rob Stone Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Everything appears normal from cold start. Next observation will be to drive it for 15 minutes, turn it off, and start it again to observe functions at normal operating temps with HV fully charged.

19. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    All the operations seem normal. When starting from cold the engine will run with richer mixture, different timing setting, and higher throttle setting than when warm. so it is the reason for warm engine hunting we are looking for.

20. Rob Stone

Rob Stone Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    OK I am back. With engine warm, and HV fully charged in the green, I turned off the car and restarted it. The engine started like normal, but this time when it should have shut off, it started surging up and down. I then put it in Drive and the engine stopped immediately. I then shut the car off again and restarted. The surging started agin where the negine should have been stopping. This time I place it in Neutral. The engine then revved up for a 5 second burst, and slowed back down to idle. It never did stop on its own in Neutral. When I switched from Neutral to Drive the engine stopped.