1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Engine light + problem warning + red triangle

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by prius_noob, Apr 28, 2016.

1. prius_noob

prius_noob Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey

Does any one know what causes this? I'm getting the car picked up to go to a dealer tomorrow any way, to see if they can ascertain what the issue is...

I did manage to drive it some 60 miles btw.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    could be low oil, but until they pull the codes, we're just guessing.

3. prius_noob

prius_noob Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Tbf that light did come on too.. This being said, the person I bought it off is going to pay for it, given how UK law works :) - well either they sort it out, or I take them to court so..

bisco likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    what did you wind up buying?

5. prius_noob

prius_noob Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A 2007 Prius that has done some 160K miles on the clock. Cost was 3K so.. I didnt notice it had some scratches though, in the rain :( I also managed to dent it...but hey that's my own fault. Hopefully I should be able to sell my old car for 4.4K as well.

bisco likes this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    please keep us posted, all the best.(y)

prius_noob likes this.
  7. S Keith

S Keith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Hmm. And they say the U.S. is excessively sue-happy.

You bought a car 20K from the end of its design life for only 3K, and you think the previous owner should pay for it?

How long have you owned/driven it? There's no excuse for having low oil. You have to check it. That's on you.

I wish you the best, but you really need to consider who's responsible for this. Batteries don't last forever, and an owner is responsible for the upkeep of their car.

Steve

8. prius_noob

prius_noob Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    S. Keith, it's not that. It was more that I was re-assured constantly by the trader that there was absolutely nothing wrong with it.. at all, and I figured something could go wrong down the line, but this was when I basically just paid for it. I literally bought it and five minutes later, it had that. I don't think it's really fair for me to check that in all of five minutes, especially if I was promised that before hand, that it's had it's MOT done and there's absolutely nothing wrong with it

S Keith, I'd be OK with it, if I wasn't re-assured that there was absolutely nothing wrong with it at all, but for this to happen within 5 minutes of buying the car is a bit rubbish don't you think?

9. S Keith

S Keith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    5 minutes later is an important detail. If you already provided that, please accept my apologies.

ALWAYS check oil though... :)

I concur that the evidence suggests that there may have been some misleading, ignorance or negligence. I would expect the "trader" to make good on it.

10. prius_noob

prius_noob Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Nah, I didnt actually mention that earlier. Nw :) And yeah I've asked him to, based on the fact that well I was told it was in good, working, condition. He tried to say afterwards "Oh there's a sensor issue" I was sold the car as it being in full, working order - no issues at all.. That was said to me afterwards, so one hopes that whatever issue they find, the seller will make good on it

I'll post my findings here later. I've noticed that a common fault is the 12V battery. Hey if it IS the oil, then I'm totally happy with using Castrol 5W 30

11. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yes that oil is fine for the Prius.

I know you want the seller to pay, but they probably wont have to pay for the damage and increased wear that you do to the engine driving around with low oil. It takes all of 30 seconds to check the oil, so why debate checking it? Just do it!

12. S Keith

S Keith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Per the OP's previous post, these issues occurred within 5 minutes of taking possession of the car.

After more consideration, I would encourage the OP to insist that the seller refund his money. This car is likely going to be nothing but problems in the future. A high mileage Prius with low oil is one that should be avoided.

13. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yes, it's very likely to be an oil burner.

Unfortunately though op has already admitted to denting the car in the brief time that he's had it, so I think a refund is unlikely. Most likely scenario if he takes it back (and the problem is just low oil) is that the seller will pour some oil in it and send him on his way. OP needs to check the oil for himself as soon as possible.

14. prius_noob

prius_noob Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So it's looking to be a low oil issue. The garage (not the seller) is currently looking to see if there are any leaks

15. g acrich

g acrich Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II

Mine turned out to be the hybrid coolant system. Inverter coolant pump. $400. I drove mine 100 miles too.

16. prius_noob

prius_noob Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just to say I got it fixed. Total cost £109.90. The seller asked "Is £100 OK" I told him...no. There was an oil leakage, and it was pretty low. The garage then cleaned up the gaskets I believe, and sealed the bit where it was leaking from, so hopefully no more issues on that front!