1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Engine monitor display malfunction?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by WIChris, Nov 18, 2014.

1. WIChris

WIChris Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    At a stoplight earlier today, my ICE was running though I thought it should have shut down. I checked the engine monitor display on the dash, and it didn't indicate that the ICE was on, even though it very obviously was. The same thing happened a bit later. My worries are: 1) there was clearly an error in what the dash display was showing, since the engine was on and it indicated that it wasn't, and 2) maybe the engine really should have shut down, but for some reason it didn't .

I was hoping that some of the more tech-savvy folks out there could let me know if this seems like a more serious issue, or just a little computer glitch that others have experienced. Thanks for any insight you can give....

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    There's no glitch, it's perfectly normal. The car's display is not accurate, especially during the warm up stages.

3. Jonny Zero

Jonny Zero Giggidy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Are you talking about the EV icon? FWIW, my EV icon has never been inconsistent with the actual engine state.

Or, if you are talking about the energy flow arrows, the engine can be running, without energy transactions coming in and out of the engine.

4. Tande

Tande Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yup.....same here.....I just tell myself, "Self, this is not "Lab/Grade" equipment"......;)

gliderman likes this.
  5. WIChris

WIChris Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks for the comments--the display I'm talking about is the goofy one with the image of the car, the two engines, the wheels, and the energy flow arrows. Somehow I seem to recall looking at that fairly frequently when I first had the car, and it being accurate. I haven't paid any attention to it for a few years now, though, and as I said, the other day it was as far off as it could possibly be--engine running at idle, no "flow arrows" in the image, revved the engine, still no arrows, started driving with ICE going, no arrows, etc. It seemed to kick in and work properly for a bit, then when I arrived at my destination and stopped, the ICE was again at idle, and no flow arrows. I want some of that Lab Grade equipment!

6. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Another good reason to install a SC-II monitoring RPM & HP. ;)